Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

From the sound of it Dr X knows that we have built a squad to get out of the Championship (hopefully!) and that we'll need to build another to stay in the PL, and realistically if that's our aim, another to push for Europe (although that is a long way off from where we are). 

I trust Steve, and I think the players do too and that's worth a lot.

I need Bruce's 3 games so far he's won us 6 points by doing attacking substitutions. Unfortunately against Wolves injuries stopped him doing anything to change the game but it's so refreshing having a manager who caaffect games from the bench. RDM hadn't a clue how to do this. I think given time which these wins will afford he'all get us playing better stuff but as I said on Tuesday I'll take 30 crap games as long as we win from now until May!! 

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

his old club just took a hiding, we better not win a few more or they might come in for him ;)

Which one, Small Heath, Hull or Sunderland? ;)

No concern on that front given only yesterday he said he has waited 20 years to manage a club of this size.

Wasnt his biggest fan but there is no doubt in my mind that the two wins are down to SB. Yes, Fulham had plenty of possession but like Reading in the week, we keep them for the long period in the 2nd half holed up at their end of the pitch. SB has clearly got our work rate up. It doesnt look pretty but it will do for now. Wins breed confidence! 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I do sometimes wonder how managers can manage properly from the side of the pitch like that. I'd be in the stands, get a much better view of what's going on. 

Joey Barton makes some very good points on this in his book, in short saying that they can't and that it is predominately about appearances to fans and that they could actually be more effective from a higher vantage point as in rugby.

I think he is right but you'd have to be a brave manager to do it, some have tried but invariably got stick from fans when results weren't great. Fat Sam used to do it and Fergie kind of did with the elevated 'dugout' at Old Trafford.

• Like 1

Or you could have one person taking the strategic view, and another down on the touchline shouting, geeing up, being visible.

That suggests two people, which I guess is what the reference to a "brace" manager implies.  :)

3 minutes ago, peterms said:

Or you could have one person taking the strategic view, and another down on the touchline shouting, geeing up, being visible.

That suggests two people, which I guess is what the reference to a "brace" manager implies.  :)

Too late with the 'brace' reference I'm afraid...

But yes, that was Barton'a point that the coaches or assistant could be on the touch line and the manager should be up high.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, peterms said:

I within 20 yards of Bruce at VP and I think he seems to be more than "geeing up". On Saturday he was constantly reminding players about their positioning. I noticed at Reading how he got very worked up when one of our players failed to press when he could and was signing to him and others. He had a go at Gollini on several occasions for not kicking out accurately. 

I don't know about the general point of a manager of having a strategic view from the stand. I would think there must be someone (maybe more than one) in the stand relaying information - Bruces 2nd (?) seemed to be getting a lot of information via his ear piece. My sense is that SB is very involved on the touchline beyond "being visible"

• Like 1

11 hours ago, terrytini said:

I for one was greatly entertained throughout and would be quite happy to play that way all the time !

Top performances throughout, wonderful tracking back, closing down, blocking off of space, tight in the tackle when they actually got within 30 yards ( rare), great headers, some brilliant blocks with players flinging themselves at the ball when needed, then quick concise and intelligent breaking, pressing high up when it made sense. Great to watch IMO especially when you get a late winner.

Waited a long time to see such a professional display. Stopped Fulham's unbeaten away run and I look forward to seeing all the same qualities applied whoever we play, we won't go far wrong if we repeat those principles.

Well I'm glad you said it.

entertaining is in the eye of the beholder.

I too am entertained by all those virtues.....I think this thinking has been missing, for so long.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Too late with the 'brace' reference I'm afraid...

But yes, that was Barton'a point that the coaches or assistant could be on the touch line and the manager should be up high.

How long before drones are above the ground relaying footage back to the manager in the dugout.

Just now, mikeyp102 said:

How long before drones are above the ground relaying footage back to the manager in the dugout.

Never be allowed due to safety and security fears, in fact I think it would be against the current law on drone usage.

Opposition training grounds though....

Â