Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Just because I felt like it......

On this day 5 years from now:

The doctor will still be our owner, he will have backed us every year. Overall he is well liked.

Steve Bruce will still be our manager, although it took a little while to win the fans over. He proved he knew what he was doing and using all his managerial experience he got us promoted. With some inspired backing from the good Dr. we have assembled a very decent squad. 

We will be playing in the Europa league and/or will have won a domestic cup.

I know, i know..... im crazy.... 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

The doctor will still be our owner, he will have backed us every year. Overall he is well liked.

Steve Bruce will still be our manager, although it took a little while to win the fans over. He proved he knew what he was doing and using all his managerial experience he got us promoted. With some inspired backing from the good Dr. we have assembled a very decent squad. 

Lovely thoughts though aren't they? The last five years have been increasingly frustrating and hellish as a Villa fan, perhaps that's why we can't let ourselves believe things like this. It's all plausible though, 5 years is a long time. Wouldn't that be sweet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

Lovely thoughts though aren't they? The last five years have been increasingly frustrating and hellish as a Villa fan, perhaps that's why we can't let ourselves believe things like this. It's all plausible though, 5 years is a long time. Wouldn't that be sweet.

Its dreamy yet imo realistic if the club create a new culture and move all facets of the club in a positive direction. Dare I say it, but I believe we have a good owner and a good manager..... it has been a long long time since I had that thought. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Lovely thoughts though aren't they? The last five years have been increasingly frustrating and hellish as a Villa fan, 

You know i was thinking about this when talking to my 12yr old son a couple of days ago. Having only got into football about 3yrs ago, He has only ever known the rubbish. He looks at me with some scepticism when i try and explain that its not always been like this. 

Edit. A caveat to the above would obviously be a great day at Wembley for semi. 

2 hours ago, BOF said:

I'm not sure what you mean tbh.  Allowed him to dominate what exactly?  What I mean is, Xia wouldn't have been on the training ground.  He wouldn't have been impacting RDM's ability to get his own message and instructions across to the players.  His starting lineups were out of the Tim Sherwood book of formations.  Sadly his substitutions were out of the Tim **** Sherwood book of substitutions.  RDM was gash.  The only thing we know Xia did was buy him anyone he wanted.  RDM was a dismal failure by his own doing.  I'm just thankful he left a decent-ish squad behind him for a football manager to use.

In terms of the fans theres a huge difference between perception and reality. If RDM had got results but seemed like a puppet, no one cares. Bruce seems to be his own man and doesnt follow the mistakes of his predecessors. Coincidence? who knows. 

I like Bruce and think if we stick with him he will at the very least get rid of members of the squad who arnt up to getting out of this division. 

English managers very rarely get the budget of foreign managers. In all honestly I hope Steve Bruce gets the opportunity to spend as if hes at a top club*

*My current opinion

Edited by Nicho

3 hours ago, BOF said:

I'm not sure what you mean tbh.  Allowed him to dominate what exactly?  What I mean is, Xia wouldn't have been on the training ground.  He wouldn't have been impacting RDM's ability to get his own message and instructions across to the players.  His starting lineups were out of the Tim Sherwood book of formations.  Sadly his substitutions were out of the Tim **** Sherwood book of substitutions.  RDM was gash.  The only thing we know Xia did was buy him anyone he wanted.  RDM was a dismal failure by his own doing.  I'm just thankful he left a decent-ish squad behind him for a football manager to use.

Sorry, maybe not clear.

I guess I'm making reference to the public nature of Xia's first few months at the club, which of course coincided with RDM's first (and only) few months at the club. During which time Xia was front and centre in all things Villa, he'd be the first one pictured with new signings, he'd be the one breaking all the news, giving all the updates and interacting with fans via social media, RDM may (just a theory) have felt like a secondary element when really, the Manager should be the public face of a club and be the dominant personality.

If this was true then as is often the case in a situation such as that, he may have become a bit disengaged (would go some way to explaining his lack of personality and passion during his brief time here) which will have shone through to a squad that really desperately needed someone positive, vocal and spirited.....as well as able of course.

Now, Xia's public presence seems to have waned a little, I think we all felt that would happen anyway once the transfer window closed coupled with our shit form but I wonder if he's also learnt to be less noticeable and whether Bruce has had anything to say about it at all (i.e. politely asking him to tone it all down, excuse the pun) as part of accepting the job, guesswork obviously but just a thought......

I don't think Bruce would be telling Xia what to do. 

Xia went back to China after the window closed, presumably to get back to his day job, and the tweets dried up about that time. I think Xia is much more 'hands off' now the money has been spent. He didn't even meet with Bruce when he was hired. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Please stop kidding yourself.

There is a small chance Bruce could get us out of the Championship.

There is no chance he is pushing us on in the Premier League if we get there if it's as strong as it was last season. 

1 hour ago, Michael118 said:

There is no chance he is pushing us on in the Premier League if we get there if it's as strong as it was last season. 

Was the premier league strong last season? Leicester won it and chelsea, man city and man Utd all struggled. Arsenal and Spurs pretty much struggled aswell, especially Spurs when it came to the crunch. I'd say the Prem league was about as weak as it ever had been last season. And I don't think it's much better this year.

bruce had a few mid table finishes, and if think he could finish at least mid table well backed and with the fan base behind him. He certainly has far far more premier league pedigree than someone like guidolin who you were really eager for us to get! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael118 said:

If the Premier League is as strong as it was last season? Well, should we return, and we will at some point, with the spending power of our new owner we will be stronger too - don't you think? 

I think you failed to remember something very important before making that post; our new owner does actually give a shit and he's interested in our football club and making it successful again. A major factor when comparing previous seasons to those ahead of us. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael118 said:

Wow..........

Just........ Wow

Nothing else........ 

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

Was the premier league strong last season? Leicester won it and chelsea, man city and man Utd all struggled. Arsenal and Spurs pretty much struggled aswell, especially Spurs when it came to the crunch. I'd say the Prem league was about as weak as it ever had been last season. And I don't think it's much better this year.

bruce had a few mid table finishes, and if think he could finish at least mid table well backed and with the fan base behind him. He certainly has far far more premier league pedigree than someone like guidolin who you were really eager for us to get! 

The bottom half of the Premier League was strong last season. When you have teams managed by Allardyce, Flores, Howe, Pulis, Benitez and Guidolin battling to survive it's never going to be an easy contest. Then there was Palace who had some of the most underrated players in the Premier League in their squad. Chelsea were in serious danger at one point also until they appointed Hiddink.

I actually think Benitez is overrated but Bruce has nowhere the overall quality of most of those managers.

Edited by Michael118

6 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

The bottom half of the Premier League was strong last season. When you have teams managed by Allardyce, Flores, Howe, Pulis, Benitez and Guidolin battling to survive it's never going to be an easy contest. Then there was Palace who had some of the most underrated players in the Premier League in their squad. Chelsea were in serious danger at one point also until they appointed Hiddink.

How many of those managers are still managing in the premier league? 

Also, completely ignoring the second paragraph?

Edited by Mjvilla
Realised ignorance

im amazed at how many villa fans now like bruce just because hes here, considering there probably wasnt even 1 villa supporter not so along ago that liked him at all, you could say he was one of the most hated, up there with hitler and robbie savage.

ok, so hes got the club into winning ways, but can it continue? i doubt it, can he get us a win against small heath alliance? i doubt that also, considering hes got so many fond memories there and is considered a fans favourite.

3 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

How many of those managers are still managing in the premier league? 

Sunderland under Allardyce, Swansea under Guidolin or Watford under Flores would all have been as good as safe this season.

I didn't address your 2nd paragraph because I had nothing left to add. I can't speak about his midtable finishes because I didn't follow the Premier League as closely then. There are so many factors which could have played a part in those. The landscape has changed now also.

16 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

"If you think you can, you can......If you think you can't, you can't"

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AndyBM said:

im amazed at how many villa fans now like bruce just because hes here, considering there probably wasnt even 1 villa supporter not so along ago that liked him at all, you could say he was one of the most hated, up there with hitler and robbie savage.

ok, so hes got the club into winning ways, but can it continue? i doubt it, can he get us a win against small heath alliance? i doubt that also, considering hes got so many fond memories there and is considered a fans favourite.

So Bruce won't go all out for the win because he has fond memories from what, 10 years ago? Or he will go out to win, but that won't be possible due to the fact he was a fans favourite??

erm, ok.. 

• Like 2

Â