Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Woodytom. You're trying to have your cake and eat it. Your trying to say we rode our luck so were fortunate to get the goal whilst ignoring that we definitely did miss 2 sitters so were actually extremely unfortunate not to win 3 - 0. You can't ignore those late chances which really should have been put away. 

What about fulham's sitter at 0-0. The game ended 1-0. Simple as that.

It's not rare that Aston villa miss easy chances. In fact it's quite common. I really don't think it's anything too wrong to suggest that going forward, it'd be nice to have more possession. It didn't matter this week, but it's sure to matter some weeks.

I'm kinda with @Woodytom on this. 34% possession will, more often than not, lead to more clear cut opportunities for the opposition than we saw on Saturday. Perhaps a better side will have given us more trouble.  

However it's also worth noting that from a visual perspective we were excellent defensively, as I've said previously we could still be playing now and Fulham wouldn't have broken us. If we can build on that solidity and take care of the ball a little better then I've no problem with finishing second best in the possession stats. There's only one stat that really counts when all is said as done. 

If you want free following attacking football I think you'll be disappointed. However if you want to win football matches, Steve Bruce is your guy. 

1 minute ago, Woodytom said:

Guys, if I was commenting solely on yesterday's game I'd be in the post match reactions thread. All I've said is that a slight concern would be us having similar possession stats in the future.

But if teams come to play the way Fulham did yesterday I'd be fairly comfortable conceding a large amount of possession. For me it only becomes an issue when we're not creating chances and are conceding chances. 

Football is about a lot more than just possession. Ask Fulham fans if they were happy with their 65% possession which got them 4 shots in an entire match. If we have close to 20 shots on goal every game we won't be going far wrong particularly if our keeper isn't even having to make a meaningful save. 

Just now, KHV said:

Did they not have a chance from a corner when they put it wide?

The one that flashed across? It was a chance. Not a sitter, like a one on one or a free header 6 yards out into an open net.

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm kinda with @Woodytom on this. 34% possession will, more often than not, lead to more clear cut opportunities for the opposition than we saw on Saturday. Perhaps a better side will have given us more trouble.  

However it's also worth noting that from a visual perspective we were excellent defensively, as I've said previously we could still be playing now and Fulham wouldn't have broken us. If we can build on that solidity and take care of the ball a little better then I've no problem with finishing second best in the possession stats. There's only one stat that really counts when all is said as done. 

If you want free following attacking football I think you'll be disappointed. However if you want to win football matches, Steve Bruce is your guy. 

I think had the possession been say 40% I probably wouldnt have noticed but at about 40 minutes, it was frighteningly low. 26% or something. Thankfully, it seems they were as clueless with it as we've been in recent years.

We never had much possession under MON. We were fairly solid and workman like with pace to burn up top through Gabby in his peak and Ashley Young. Very much like now with Ayew, Kodjia and Adomah. Possession counts for **** all. Look how impressive Atletico are in the champions league

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The one that flashed across? It was a chance. Not a sitter, like a one on one or a free header 6 yards out into an open net.

I agree it wasn't really a sitter. It's the only chance I remember them having so was just assuming that was the chance the poster was referring to. 

2 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Oh well that proves it then.

Well it's more evidence than you simply stating it is.

I watched it again. Multiple times.

On what planet is that a sitter? :D The bloke wasn't anywhere near it.

Even if it was, they missed one, we missed two. 

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The areas of the pitch where Fulham had their possession were never threatening though. They barely tried to put an attacking move together in the match. 

We also lack any kind of creativity in the middle of the park so our best option is to get the ball forward to Ayew/Kodjia/Adomah and play a direct game. I'd almost say that at the moment  if we're passing the ball around we're only slowing down attacks for our pacey players up top. In a strange way I think having a lot of possession wouldn't really be playing to our strengths as a team.

If I was a manager, I could instruct my players to pass it around the back 4, then the keeper and have 80% possession. I might even get praised on a message board for high possession stats.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

What about fulham's sitter at 0-0. The game ended 1-0. Simple as that.

It's not rare that Aston villa miss easy chances. In fact it's quite common. I really don't think it's anything too wrong to suggest that going forward, it'd be nice to have more possession. It didn't matter this week, but it's sure to matter some weeks.

We had 60% to70 % possession in most of the matches we played and only won once this season, winning is everything not how long you have the ball without doing anything with it,

I am a pessimist my nature, but your anti Villa posts are now becoming seriously boring, credit where credit is due.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Well it's more evidence than you simply stating it is.

I watched it again. Multiple times.

On what planet is that a sitter? :D The bloke wasn't anywhere near it.

Even if it was, they missed one, we missed two. 

It's literally no more evidence.

Their miss, whether a sitter or not is as pointless to this debate as our 2 misses. 

They have virtually nothing to do with every team not being as accommodating in possession as Fulham... which was the original point, and in itself a pretty dull point if I say so myself. I'm genuinely not sure why it attracted so much attention.

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

If I was a manager, I could instruct my players to pass it around the back 4, then the keeper and have 80% possession. I might even get praised on a message board for high possession stats.

Would you? I don't see anyone doing that so I'm not sure what you're basing this latest bout of nonsense on?

Edited by Woodytom

Â