Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

16 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Reading through the nonsense going down on this thread yesterday, I think "hysteria" is quite a polite word for it tbf.

I dont know what comments yiu are alluding too briny but regardless of that the frustration is justified. We have not improved whatsoever. In fact we have been a complete disaster this year.

Are you happy where we currently are?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

The rush is the gap to the play offs! If we leave it too late we have to write this year off and get in a long term youthful manager. 

Agreed - but in mid september there is no one decent available (if they were decent they would have got a club in the close season) - I don't see anyone in the touted names that inspires. Get the wrong bloke in now and we could write off next season as well as this. 

If I were Xia and Wyness I would hold fire and make the move when someone decent becomes available.  Or a likely chain of events is JT on a short term basis - with Pardew / Moyes stepping in if results don't improve.

34 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Reading through the nonsense going down on this thread yesterday, I think "hysteria" is quite a polite word for it tbf.

I think you have a point . As you may know , I haven't been Bruce's greatest fan from day one of his appointment , but some of the vitriol being let off towards him on this thread is , imo , quite scary .

11 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I think you have a point . As you may know , I haven't been Bruce's greatest fan from day one of his appointment , but some of the vitriol being let off towards him on this thread is , imo , quite scary .

I agree there is no need for the personal insults. 

1 hour ago, villarocker said:

I've read the thoughts of those who went to the game and they seem to back up what Bruce says about chances created. However, I also saw more than one report where Johnstone was made MOTM so that would suggest 'Boro could have knicked it too.

What reports were those?

I'm not happy with last night's game, but Johnstone didn't do anything. I think he made one good save in the second half and was untested apart from that.

RDM and Bruce doing the same at this stage of the season. But possibly the biggest difference is the squad, when we'd lost the way with RDM we didn't have a squad capable of anything short of staying up. Bruce hasn't lost the way completely, we're unbeaten in a few games now, Kodj just back, Jedi just back, and the squad is just starting to get to know each other after a lot of changes since the start of the season. If he gets the win next game, and then doesn't lose often, he'll stay in place and the target will change to play-offs. It's that or a gamble on a manager who might not otherwise be our first choice given it is mid season, so while Bruce is not doing a great deal to deserve to stay, the alternatives compared are just not convincing enough for Tony to gamble. Plus I want this thread to make 1,000 pages. 

• Like 2

the issue yesterday was again no urgency, lots of ponderous sideways passing and no creativity or movement despite being against ten men, we actually played better with 10 men!

who do we blame for this, if not Bruce?

I hate watching us, my love of football is virtually dead now, supporting this great club that i have loved for 40 years is now like some kind of drug addiction, I know it's not good for me, i know i'll never recreate the highs from my teenage years supporting the Villa, yet still I persist, I don't even have any vain semblance of hope anymore as since MoN stormed out we have had so many managers and players come and go and all we've achieved is the fan base having to lower their expectations every season.

I am grateful for Xia for trying though and i don't despise Bruce at all, I like the guy and who he has brought in (mostly) but the results and the performances speak for themselves and I don't think more time will change anything.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jareth said:

RDM and Bruce doing the same at this stage of the season. But possibly the biggest difference is the squad, when we'd lost the way with RDM we didn't have a squad capable of anything short of staying up. Bruce hasn't lost the way completely, we're unbeaten in a few games now, Kodj just back, Jedi just back, and the squad is just starting to get to know each other after a lot of changes since the start of the season. If he gets the win next game, and then doesn't lose often, he'll stay in place and the target will change to play-offs. It's that or a gamble on a manager who might not otherwise be our first choice given it is mid season, so while Bruce is not doing a great deal to deserve to stay, the alternatives compared are just not convincing enough for Tony to gamble. Plus I want this thread to make 1,000 pages. 

Agreed, RdM didn't have anywhere near as much time as Bruce leading up to this state. Bruce has had two full windows, inherited a heavily invested squad (admittedly much of it badly invested) and in theory had his experience which made him a safe bet (I certainly thought that myself). So the comparisons with RdM don't really work for me. 

Also though, I think both deserve / deserved to lose their job, as much for the nature of the progress as the results. For both, I was willing to tolerate patchy results if you could see a plan, a bit of development, improvement etc. Neither achieved that. 

As for the hysteria - there's some, but in the main it's balanced views which happen to be negative. They're not without foundation though, and generally I wouldn't consider them hysterical. (Clearly no reason to make it personal though). 

Bruce is not helping himself by playing 40 minutes with 1 up top against a team down to 10 men. He's got the offensive management capabilities of a dinosaur. We're pretty tight in defense but it doesn't help if we can't score.

Â