Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Marvel have a new super hero by looks of it or Villan lol Any suggestions for a new name for Kodjia?? Killer Kodjia is all I can think of, looks very evil with that mask on.

I have to admit he actually looks scary and on the pitch I'm not sure I'd want to go against him.

Edited by Dave-R

On 29/09/2019 at 18:34, Tom13 said:

Is he fit? I'd play him next week.

I can see an argument for starting him, as he does things that Wesley can't/hasn't yet, and there were times in the Championship when he was deemed as one of the few players that would make the step up.

However:

1) If I was Davis, I'd be gutted at Kodjia coming back to fitness and jumping ahead of him, when it's probably he who deserves a shot.

and 2) Are any positive thoughts about Kodjia coming from memories that he's living off from 2 season ago?

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

2) Are any positive thoughts about Kodjia coming from memories that he's living off from 2 season ago?

Yes. And no he's not the answer. I'd rather we played a youngster if that's an option. Can't for my life see what people suddenly see in Kodjia. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yes. And no he's not the answer. I'd rather we played a youngster if that's an option. Can't for my life see what people suddenly see in Kodjia. 

He's a maverick and a match winner at his very best. Is he the answer? He shouldn't be after this summer's window.

...but here we are.

I'd start him and tell him it's his shirt to lose.

• Like 2

He's been one of our best players since we were relegated that's what people see in him, as the stats I've posted elegantly illustrate. He might not be perfect but he's shown enough that relative to our other attacking options he'll be a good option for us, and his return to fitness is worthy of being seen in positive light. We'll have to see how Wesley develops but with the possible exception of him, I'd back Kodjia to outscore everyone else in our squad as a Premier league player, that might say just as much about our other attackers as it does Kodjia, but there's nothing we can do about that until Jan.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, useless said:

He's been one of our best players since we were relegated that's what people see in him, as the stats I've posted elegantly illustrate. He might not be perfect but he's shown enough that relative to our other attacking options he'll be a good option for us, and his return to fitness is worthy of being seen in positive light. We'll have to see how Wesley develops but with the possible exception of him, I'd back Kodjia to outscore everyone else in our squad as a Premier league player, that might say just as much about our other attackers as it does Kodjia, but there's nothing we can do about that until Jan.

it is always positive to see all players return to fitness.

Kodj clearly has attributes that are in contrast to Wes and Keinan and vice versa.

The 64 million dollar question to all strikers in this league is......Yes, we know you have the talent, but can you turn that talent in to goals?......That requires a whole host of other qualities to enhance that talent.

As an example......Andy Gray, was not the most technically gifted player in his day, but he knew how to score goals and had the wherewithal to do it....Brian Little was the technical man.

Technical ability is wonderful to have,( only a fool would knock it) but there is a plethora of players who have only made it so far, due to a lack of other qualities.

Edited by TRO

6 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I can see an argument for starting him, as he does things that Wesley can't/hasn't yet, and there were times in the Championship when he was deemed as one of the few players that would make the step up.

However:

1) If I was Davis, I'd be gutted at Kodjia coming back to fitness and jumping ahead of him, when it's probably he who deserves a shot.

and 2) Are any positive thoughts about Kodjia coming from memories that he's living off from 2 season ago?

Kodjia had a good scoring record v Norwich in the championship, two goals in April 2017 and scored v them in the final game last season.

I'd actually consider playing him out wide, yes issues of him tracking back but we need some more pace and stretching of defences on the counter attack which our present options aren't producing bar odd moments from Trez.

1 minute ago, av1 said:

You know you're in the shit when you're hoping this bloke is the answer. 

Yeah I don't know why all of a sudden people are thinking kodjia is the answer, he will not score what people are thinking be will.

People remember what he used to be and that's what they are praying for and somehow fantasizing about, the thing is praying and fantasizing often never comes true.

Kodjia is no where near the player he once was unfortunately, I'd rather play Davis Any day. Simply we need to buy someone proven come Jan, even then if we're finding it difficult feeding Wesley, same could happen with any other striker.

Really no matter the move we make whether it's taking Wesley out, buying a new striker or letting one of our other strikers have a go, it really is a risk. Personally our only option is to learn how to feed our lone striker properly or switch formation so we can feed Wesley alot more with better quality passes from midfield, until that happens I wouldn't take Wesley out period.

People seem to have some sort of weird mental block with Kodjia, reminds me of when people used to write Ayew off just because he didn't smile despite him being one of our few good players that season. Kodjia may not be the player he once was, but even if that's true his goal scoring record last season was still very good and he still scores at international level as well. Besides him we've only got a player new to the league and the country, and a youngster that's only scored a few goals and most were happy to see go out on loan to a championship club this season. The thing about praying and fantasizing can be applied to every player, at least with Kodjia he has a track record for delivering the goods and as recent as last season.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, useless said:

People seem to have some sort of weird mental block with Kodjia, reminds me of when people used to write Ayew off just because he didn't smile despite him being one of our few good players that season. Kodjia may not be the player he once was, but even if that's true his goal scoring record last season was still very good and he still scores at international level as well. Besides him we've only got a player new to the league and the country, and a youngster that's only scored a few goals and most were happy to see go out on loan to a championship club this season. The thing about praying and fantasizing can be applied to every player, at least with Kodjia he has a track record for delivering the goods and as recent as last season.

I actually think it’s the opposite mate and people seem to be forgetting how average he was the longer he doesn’t play. Yes he scored a few goals last season but then even Hogan managed to bang in goals in the championship once. 

Id love him to be the answer but ever since he returned from his injury he has lost that yard of pace that made him a top player. I’d be amazed if he can contribute anything worthwhile this season.

I think this idea that fans rate players more the more they don't play is an utter cliche that people seem to lazily latch onto, yes it can be the case sometimes, but with Kodjia's he has actually been decent overall when he plays, it's not as if people are hoping he can make a worthwhile contribution based on nothing. And he's not comparable to Hogan, Hogan scored goals for half a season with Brentford, whilst Kodjia has scored goals in Ligue B, in the championship with Bristol City and us and on the international stage with Les Éléphants. He may not be the answer, but I don't think he deserves to be written off any more than any of other attackers, I'm not expecting miracles but no reason why he can't chip in with one or two valuable goals.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, useless said:

I think this idea that fans rate players more the more they don't play is an utter cliche that people seem to lazily latch onto, yes it can be the case sometimes, but with Kodjia's he has actually been decent overall when he plays, it's not as if people are hoping he can make a worthwhile contribution based on nothing. And he's not comparable to Hogan, Hogan scored goals for half a season with Brentford, whilst Kodjia has scored goals in Ligue B, in the championship with Bristol City and us and on the international stage with Les Éléphants. He may not be the answer, but I don't think he deserves to be written off any more than any of other attackers, I'm not expecting miracles but no reason why he can't chip in with one or two valuable goals.

I think its important he is fit and available for selection......but lets be clear here, against better quality teams and defenders, his limitations are exposed....However, need to see him in this league.

Kodj for me is an opportunist striker, not one that forces issues and makes defenders make errors.

He is not a bad player just has limitations and at 29 they are not likely to change.......The other 2 at 20 & 22 have a chance of improving.

Edited by TRO

5 hours ago, TRO said:

I think its important he is fit and available for selection......but lets be clear here, against better quality teams and defenders, his limitations are exposed....However, need to see him in this league.

Kodj for me is an opportunist striker, not one that forces issues and makes defenders make errors.

He is not a bad player just has limitations and at 29 they are not likely to change.......The other 2 at 20 & 22 have a chance of improving.

We're just talking about the next 3 months. We have around 13 games to play and not sure how many until we get anyone during January.

We only have 3 options, we can't rely on Wesley at the moment. For me I prefer to start Davis at Norwich and see what he's made of. Then I would definitely try Kodjia. I think he's the most skillful and goal scorer out of the three. Wether he's good at this level or not, it doesn't matter. The question is who'll benefit us more in the next 13 games. 

3 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

We're just talking about the next 3 months. We have around 13 games to play and not sure how many until we get anyone during January.

We only have 3 options, we can't rely on Wesley at the moment. For me I prefer to start Davis at Norwich and see what he's made of. Then I would definitely try Kodjia. I think he's the most skillful and goal scorer out of the three. Wether he's good at this level or not, it doesn't matter. The question is who'll benefit us more in the next 13 games. 

Whether he is good enough at this level does matter, its crucial.

its not much point playing a player over the next 13 games, who is not good enough....in such circumstances what exactly are we hoping for?

21 minutes ago, TRO said:

Whether he is good enough at this level does matter, its crucial.

its not much point playing a player over the next 13 games, who is not good enough....in such circumstances what exactly are we hoping for?

Well, we have to play a striker, and we may be looking at a situation in which none of our three options are 'good enough', but we still have to pick the best of what we've got. 

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well, we have to play a striker, and we may be looking at a situation in which none of our three options are 'good enough', but we still have to pick the best of what we've got. 

Granted.

but my point is....if we are playing players who are not good enough, don't be surprised at the out come....and furthermore, don't be surprised at the ones who are good enough, getting knackered towards the end of a game.

we may have to get one in on loan, until we identify the right player for purchase.

Â