Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

6 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Didn't he lead the line as a lone striker in our first season in the championship.  Did alright as far as I remember.

Weren't you just talking about Keinan Davis, who's only ever led the line in the Championship (sporadically I might add) and in cup games?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Weren't you just talking about Keinan Davis, who's only ever led the line in the Championship (sporadically I might add) and in cup games?

Because Davis is a physical freak. Doesn't matter that he won't score as much as some would like, cause he would be excellent at bringing our midfield up the pitch. He'd be an outlet when we are attacking and when we're defending, which is something Kodjia would never be. And Davis has time on his side. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I meant I was going off topic responding about the successful early 80's side, not you fella 😀👍

you got me going now.....I'll be quick before i get told off.

The thing I liked the most then...... was the gradual improvement in the team almost game by game as RS was building us back to respectability.

I do see some of it now, but not quite as noticeable.

back on topic.......I do however think Kodj can add a dimension to our game.

5 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Because Davis is a physical freak. Doesn't matter that he won't score as much as some would like, cause he would be excellent at bringing our midfield up the pitch. He'd be an outlet when we are attacking and when we're defending, which is something Kodjia would never be. And Davis has time on his side. 

Benteke was used in the same light the "beast".......but they soon knock it out of them.....I agree with the rest.

I am all for physicality......but you can't rely on it alone.

Edited by TRO

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yeah but the question was that could he lead the line in the PL. Kodjia has literally carried our team for a whole season leading the line. Davis has great attributes and will be a good player and he's done well for us leading the line in the past...but that was also in the Championship. He has 2 career senior goals. Kodjia scored as many just this summer in the AFCON. They're both in the mix to take Wesley's shirt for me, but to suggest Davis is way ahead of Kodjia in the pecking order is absurd. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yes. I don't know what's hard about this. Davis has the attributes to lead the line, Kodjia doesn't. 

Attributes don't trump track record as currently being proven by Wesley. I mean I don't disagree with the notion, but you're the one who brought up Kodjia's Championship experience as if Davis is some seasoned PL veteran :lol:

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Attributes don't trump track record as currently being proven by Wesley. I mean I don't disagree with the notion, but you're the one who brought up Kodjia's Championship experience as if Davis is some seasoned PL veteran :lol:

Actually I wasn't the one who brought up the championship as an argument. Tezza and JPA did.  

Maybe a bit more reading and a bit less smileys. 

Nothing wrong with Kodjia having had a good season for us in the championship. He is at his best tricky and capable of being an attacking wild card, but right now he's not there. He's been injured, he's older. Most likely he will never be back where he was. He showed against spurs he isn't remotely close to the PL level atm. And he does not possess the fundamental abilities needed to hold the line alone. 

Being a lone striker in the PL is completely different kettle of fish than what Kodjia did in his ONE good season for us. He played off both Gestede, Gabby, Ayew and McCormack (though Ross was largely **** useless). 

Kodjia's stats for us are;

2016/2017: 36/19

2017/2018: 15/1

2018/2019: 39/9

Now I didn't check how many of those were as subs or how many goals where as penalties, or whether some of them were for Bristol City or his national side. I just picked them off wiki. Point is that Kodjia has never been magical for us. Simply because he hasn't played for a while, it has not made him better. If anything it's probably made him worse. He isn't and will never be a good option to lead the line for us in a 451 in the PL. 

I genuinly hope he comes back into good form and can contribute as a wild card sub, but this crap about him leading the line is just that. Crap. 

8 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Actually I wasn't the one who brought up the championship as an argument. Tezza and JPA did.  

Maybe a bit more reading and a bit less smileys. 

Nothing wrong with Kodjia having had a good season for us in the championship. He is at his best tricky and capable of being an attacking wild card, but right now he's not there. He's been injured, he's older. Most likely he will never be back where he was. He showed against spurs he isn't remotely close to the PL level atm. And he does not possess the fundamental abilities needed to hold the line alone. 

Being a lone striker in the PL is completely different kettle of fish than what Kodjia did in his ONE good season for us. He played off both Gestede, Gabby, Ayew and McCormack (though Ross was largely **** useless). 

Kodjia's stats for us are;

2016/2017: 36/19

2017/2018: 15/1

2018/2019: 39/9

Now I didn't check how many of those were as subs or how many goals where as penalties, or whether some of them were for Bristol City or his national side. I just picked them off wiki. Point is that Kodjia has never been magical for us. Simply because he hasn't played for a while, it has not made him better. If anything it's probably made him worse. He isn't and will never be a good option to lead the line for us in a 451 in the PL. 

I genuinly hope he comes back into good form and can contribute as a wild card sub, but this crap about him leading the line is just that. Crap. 

No, it was you who highlighted "championship" to suggest that his achievements are irrelevant because they happened in the Championship, while simultaneously championing Keinan Davis who has all of maybe 10 starts at Championship level and has never led the line consistently anywhere so far in his senior career. I don't think anybody claimed Kodjia was ever "magical" for us (although 2016/17 was a very good season), but he has a decent enough record at various levels to show that he can in fact lead the line for a team, whether he meets your narrow criteria of what "leading the line" entails or not.

Even ignoring the ridiculous latching onto of a 15 min cameo away at a top 4 team this season, or the revisionism of the 16/17 season (he played with those players mentioned for half a season at most considering they either left in January, fell out with the manager by January or couldn't even run anymore by January), even at his best, he was admittedly never very good with his back to goal. But strikers come in various forms and hold-up play isn't the be-all of being a #9. Tammy Abraham for example isn't very good at it either as we very well know and yet nobody can deny he's good enough to lead the line for his club and country. Some of the best strikers in the league can't hold up the ball for shit. Aubameyang for example, the most in form player of 2019 also isn't very good at it. But they're good at other, more crucial areas.

So yes Davis is very good with his back to goal, but there's more to being a striker than just hold-up play, most obviously scoring goals; a department Davis is lacking in so far. For what it's worth, I suspect he could lead the line fairly well for us if given the chance and eventually develop into a good striker and sort out his finishing, but as things stand, there's no evidence to suggest he's any better at "leading the line" at this level than Kodjia. They're both unknowns, but there's currently a lot more tangible evidence in favour of Kodjia. Hopefully Davis gets some starts in this league so there's more to go by than just "he can hold up the ball". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

But you said I was the one that brought it up. Which it wasn't. But keep on. 

Doesn't really matter. Lets see what Deano does. 

You were the one that highlighted it. You're just arguing semantics at this point, but yeah we'll see what happens. I suspect Wesley will come good and make this argument moot anyway.

• Haha 1

On 04/10/2019 at 23:03, Keyblade said:

You were the one that highlighted it. You're just arguing semantics at this point, but yeah we'll see what happens. I suspect Wesley will come good and make this argument moot anyway.

Jennifer Lopez Applause GIF by NBC World Of Dance

Â