Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

3 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I’d start him. Can’t be worse than Wesley and I don’t think Davies can lead the line. 

Still unfit according to Smith.

Be back in contention after the international break

3 hours ago, sne said:

He's also up against vastly superior opponents and is 3 years older having had 2 bad injuries.

Vastly? Doubt it. The attacking players and midfielders in the bottom half are definitely a step up from the Championship, sure but the defenders are hardly that much better apart from maybe Burnley, whose CBs are pretty decent.. For example, we'll be up against Grant Hanley and co this weekend. Doubt h'ed be quaking in his boots about that proposition. He also has pretty much a 1 in 2 record for Cote D'Ivoire, playing in major tournaments. I honestly think he'd be fine in this league.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Vastly? Doubt it. The attacking players and midfielders in the bottom half are definitely a step up from the Championship, sure but the defenders are hardly that much better apart from maybe Burnley, whose CBs are pretty decent.. For example, we'll be up against Grant Hanley and co this weekend. Doubt h'ed be quaking in his boots about that proposition. He also has pretty much a 1 in 2 record for Cote D'Ivoire, playing in major tournaments. I honestly think he'd be fine in this league.

Obviously I'm talking about the league as a whole and not the game against Norwich in which he's already been ruled unavailable by Smith.

If you think there is not much difference between the level defenders and defensive midfielders in the PL vs Championship then agree to disagree.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Obviously I'm talking about the league as a whole and not the game against Norwich in which he's already been ruled unavailable by Smith.

If you think there is not much difference between the level defenders and defensive midfielders in the PL vs Championship then agree to disagree.

Norwich was just an example of the defenders of the teams around us. Watford have Craig Catchart ever present, Palace Scott Dann, Saints still play Yoshida week in week out etc. Look at the CBs coming up from the Championship like Dawson and Tomori who weren't exactly pulling up trees (Tomori was decent though). Not to mention our Mings taking to the league like a duck to water. 

I don't think the defending in the Championship is great or anything but the PL isn't as big of a step up as it is in other departments. For example midfielders are so much stronger and quicker in this league and we found it tough to cope with in the first few games, but we've managed to score pretty freely, with the West Ham game being the only one where we were kept out. Keep in mind, the general consensus is that our attack has yet to find its feet and we are really lacking in this area. But yeah, this is just my observation...and it doesn't seem too many strikers from the Champo last season apart from Pukki and Abraham have done well. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spoony said:

I’d start him. Can’t be worse than Wesley and I don’t think Davies can lead the line. 

Anyone who thinks Kodjia is more suited to lead the line alone, (451) in the Premier Leauge,  than Davis. I genuinly wonder if you watch the same football team as me. 

I don't rate Kodjia one bit, but lets say you argued Kodjia could play wide in a front line of 2-3 or come on as a sub in any scenario and hope for a moments magic, that I could sort of understand. But saying Kodjia and leading the line in the same sentence. Hah. 

12 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Off topic, but I love hearing your views of our successful 81/82 side, I would give anything to witness something like that in my lifetime - I was only 4 or 5... Hopefully one day....

You also talk lots of sense on your posts 👍  

With regards to Kodjia, will be nice to see him as an option from the bench, he is a different alternative to what we have, capable of real class moments, but can be frustrating to watch at the same time. Not sure how many years are left on his contract but I feel that this season might be his last in a Villa shirt (if we stay up more so). I think this has to be his time to kick on and prove his worth. Really hope he can. 

Thanks very generous...I try.

It may have appeared off topic.....but it wasn't meant to be.

I was trying to Highlight the disparity between a skillful jinky player like Kodj.......and a whole hearted player, who forces opponents in to errors.. like Andy Gray  or Peter withe......we have one in midfield in John McGinn...we need more.

Edited by TRO

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Don't forget with us as well. He literally carried our team for a whole season. Crazy how short memories can get following a couple of injuries and a fall down the pecking order.

Or crazy how some memories can differ.

I think if that was the case,Dean Smith would be well aware of it.

I like the guys silky skills.....but when I study the 3 neanderthals from Burnley last week......I see why he easily becomes a passenger in a game too......He simply hasn't got their application.

When the going gets tough......Kodj goes missing.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Anyone who thinks Kodjia is more suited to lead the line alone, (451) in the Premier Leauge,  than Davis. I genuinly wonder if you watch the same football team as me. 

I don't rate Kodjia one bit, but lets say you argued Kodjia could play wide in a front line of 2-3 or come on as a sub in any scenario and hope for a moments magic, that I could sort of understand. But saying Kodjia and leading the line in the same sentence. Hah. 

Didn't he lead the line as a lone striker in our first season in the championship.  Did alright as far as I remember.  

Edited by tezzaleed
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TRO said:

Thanks very generous...I try.

It may have appeared off topic.....but it wasn't meant to be.

I was trying to Highlight the disparity between a skillful jinky player like Kodj.......and a whole hearted player, who forces opponents in to errors.. like Andy Gray  or Peter withe......we have one in midfield in John McGinn...we need more.

I meant I was going off topic responding about the successful early 80's side, not you fella 😀👍

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Hasn't been given the chance in he PL to lead the line has he? 

You don't rate him one bit yet when he did play upfront for us by himself, he created and scored match winning goals by himself albeit in the Champ.

He can be a class player on his day with a little bit of magic he can produce. Technically speaking, he is one of the best players at the club with the ball at his feet. That can't be argued. 

Also think others are vastly overrating the defences in this league. A few weeks ago, we were one of the teams leading the clean sheet charts in the PL. Just goes to show about 60% of the defence in the PL aren't really great. 

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

Expected him not to play like he had a spurs shirt on 

It's almost as if you have personal hatred for him. 

It was his first game back after how many months? What do you want him to do upfront by himself with no one around him 🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Jay.P.A said:

He can be a class player on his day with a little bit of magic he can produce. Technically speaking, he is one of the best players at the club with the ball at his feet. That can't be argued. 

Also think others are vastly overrating the defences in this league. A few weeks ago, we were one of the teams leading the clean sheet charts in the PL. Just goes to show about 60% of the defence in the PL aren't really great. 

So I see you haven't disputed this - because you know it's true. 

You're talking about a striker who has a better then 1 in 3 goal scoring record his whole career across all domestic and international football. If you don't rate him that's your opinion, but I'm sure people know better to not write him off. 

Completely changed the game against Rotheram last season - which basically kick started our run. 

At his best he's capable of individual skill that's very good. Nobody is denying that. 

But he's not the player he was and that's obvious. And 1/3 rate in the championship doesn't mean much in the PL. Nor does 1/3 rate mean much when you play a 451 and are reliant on hold-up play and the hold-up of the 1/3 striker is shit. 

Time for one or two to snap out of it and lose their self importance, it doesn't matter how anyone thinks Kodjia is going to do good or bad. All we can do is wait and see how it goes.

Edited by useless

Â