Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

People say he hasn't been the same since his injuries but he still scored nine goals and made three assists last season in 2020 minutes worth of league football, if we divide that 2020 figure by 90 it comes to little over 22 games worth of football, nine goals and three assists in that amount of time is a very good return. Obviously it was in a lesser league than the one we're in now, but pretty much all our players with the exception of Heaton and Targett were playing in a weaker league than the premier league last season.

2 hours ago, useless said:

People say he hasn't been the same since his injuries but he still scored nine goals and made three assists last season in 2020 minutes worth of league football, if we divide that 2020 figure by 90 it comes to little over 22 games worth of football, nine goals and three assists in that amount of time is a very good return. Obviously it was in a lesser league than the one we're in now, but pretty much all our players with the exception of Heaton and Targett were playing in a weaker league than the premier league last season.

Also don’t forget that many of those minutes were cameos here or there, or he came when we were winning. So he’s done really fine in respect with that.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He’s not been the same player since his injuries and time out of the game, he’s looked markedly slower in all aspects.

In his first season with us he would make goals out of nothing, he had a yard of pace to beat a man, I’ve not seen it at all in the last two years though really.

I’d cash in if we had the chance.

That might be the case but I think he likes to play by his own. He’s not a team player.

He never had the chance in his second season, his third season he wasn’t lucky by having Abraham leading the line.

2 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

That might be the case but I think he likes to play by his own. He’s not a team player.

He never had the chance in his second season, his third season he wasn’t lucky by having Abraham leading the line.

Well then by that definition he shouldn’t be anywhere near our team frankly.

• Like 1

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

Well then by that definition he shouldn’t be anywhere near our team frankly.

I don’t think we’re playing our way at the moment. He’d be a good choice to have in our counter attacking tactics.

Even against teams that park the bus, he has the technique that could help the team break them.

He’s not a long term solution, but we’re bad upfront and we need to look at all choices.

Keep him until January.

We need at least some sort of experienced attacking option off the bench.

So what we let him go next week and then Wesley pulls a hamstring v Norwich....what happens then for the game with Brighton? Just Davis upfront with no striker options on the bench?

I assume he'll be back on the bench today given he's back in full training?

In games where we need to start on the front foot and actually win I wouldn't be adverse to giving him a start or two out wide. Our counter attacks are pretty slow so having him in addition to Trez might help that a bit more.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I don’t think we’re playing our way at the moment. He’d be a good choice to have in our counter attacking tactics.

Even against teams that park the bus, he has the technique that could help the team break them.

He’s not a long term solution, but we’re bad upfront and we need to look at all choices.

Bad up front?

Wesley has 2 goals in 6 games, if he continued that throughout the season he’d end up on 12-13 goals, which I think was kinda what most people were predicting, and the hope of course would be that he’ll get better as time goes on.

Its hard to see past the bare facts, we’ve won 1 in 6 and we’re near the foot of the table but as Smith said, we’ve really only been outplayed by Spurs (Palace I thought it seemed were clearly the better team too in fairness), we’ve only lost by more than one goal in one game.

Its just not panic stations yet and it’s certainly not time to throw the ethic of team football in the bin so that we can have a Lone Ranger up front who may or may not create himself a goal.

In my opinion.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, useless said:

£7m is nothing and not worth the risk, I wouldn't even sell him for that much in January if we signed another striker.

£7m is not nothing and I would take that in a heartbeat and put it towards the £20m or so we are going to have to pay for a new striker. 

• Like 2

It's not worth risking our season over, if Wesley was to get injured we'd be left with just Davis. There's no way the the club are going to sanction the sale of Kodjia whilst we can't sign a replacement, and even if we do sign another striker in January I wouldn't be surprised to see us loan out Davis before we sold Kodjia, unless the offer for Kodjia was a big one.

And anyone who thinks Archer can replace Kodjia in the squad is naive to the extreme. We're talking about a striker who's potentially the best one we have at the club, it won't be easy replacing him in January if it comes to that, never mind replacing him with someone from our youth system who hasn't even played that many games for the u23s.

You don’t know if the kids are good enough until they’re given a chance, innumerable instances of kids being thrown in and doing well.

i think at this stage I’d be more inclined to see what one of those could do before relying on someone who I think we all know isn’t cut out for it.

10 minutes ago, useless said:

It's not worth risking our season over, if Wesley was to get injured we'd be left with just Davis. There's no way the the club are going to sanction the sale of Kodjia whilst we can't sign a replacement, and even if we do sign another striker in January I wouldn't be surprised to see us loan out Davis before we sold Kodjia, unless the offer for Kodjia was a big one.

Selling our 3rd choice striker is not risking our season, especially since we play with a 1 striker system.

It might not be ideal but risking our season :)

And £7m is certainly not nothing, especially for someone his age with an expiring contract.

For example Spurs might be forced to sell Eriksen for about £30m in January or risk losing him for free. And he's 100 times the player Kodjia is.

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

You don’t know if the kids are good enough until they’re given a chance, innumerable instances of kids being thrown in and doing well.

i think at this stage I’d be more inclined to see what one of those could do before relying on someone who I think we all know isn’t cut out for it.

Surely he should've got some minutes on Wednesday?

He's not our third choice striker, when fit he will be ahead of Davis in the pecking order, and he has the potential to play himself in the team ahead of Wesley, and then there's the fact that you wouldn't play Wesley and Davis together, but Kodjia can play alongside either one of them if Smith decided to play with two up front, or with wide forwards, in other words he offers something different.

47 minutes ago, sne said:

£7m offer from Al-Gharafa according to Football Insider (whatever that is)

That is a lot of money for a 30 y.o  fringe player with an expiring contract

23 minutes ago, sidcow said:

£7m is not nothing and I would take that in a heartbeat and put it towards the £20m or so we are going to have to pay for a new striker. 

I'm sorry but this really is barking. If we sell Kodjia, and then Wesley gets any kind of injury or suspension, we're going to be playing a guy with less than a handful of career league goals on his own up front and with no-one to challenge him for his place or come off the bench if we're losing.

I actually remember when Davis was our only fit striker in the Championship, for about two months or so. He constantly tired before 90, became very ineffective, and the whole club was crying out for someone to take the load off him.

Having nothing up front except Wesley and Davis would be tantamount to giving up on the season.

• Like 1

Â