Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

Just a quick shout out that some have been singing an offensive song with racist overtones about JK for some time now - without such a furore.

Just in case any readers are amongst those that sing it, could you please stop this one aswell.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Is he back for Saturday?

Can be selected. Would definitely have him on the bench.

Out of contract at the end of the season. If we're going well I can see his contract being extended.

On 19/10/2019 at 05:47, zab6359 said:

Available I believe, think Chester is the only one not available as he'll be playing for the U23s (Monday?) to getting match fit.

Benjamin Button😀

Edited by TRO

6 hours ago, lexicon said:

Wasn't that his first game back after injury? Unsurprising that he'd be rusty. 

Problem is.....He has been more rusty than gleaming.

gradually becoming a very stylish....DUD.

Simply not a driven player.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Problem is.....He has been more rusty than gleaming.

gradually becoming a very stylish....DUD.

Simply not a driven player.

Dud? He has scored 29 goals for the club in 90 appearances, including from the bench. He made an entire season palatable. Played his part in the run in which got us promoted too. 

You've cast judgement on him as a person with almost zero evidence for it. This post is terribad.

• Like 3

When first team players play for the u23s they're not there to go at it full pelt and impress everyone, it's just a way of getting some match fitness, which is why you shouldn't really get too excited when you see our youngsters beating another u23 side that has a number of senior players in it, reality is they'll try much less than a team full of acadmey players. If Kodjia had have been fit this season there's a very good chance that we'd have more points than we have now.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Dud? He has scored 29 goals for the club in 90 appearances, including from the bench. He made an entire season palatable. Played his part in the run in which got us promoted too. 

You've cast judgement on him as a person with almost zero evidence for it. This post is terribad.

That does seem some time ago, sure injuries have taken their toll.

Dave, pehaps Dud maybe a bit harsh.....but the last 2 seasons have been flat for him.

yes he has had one good season, where consistency was evident.

by contrast players with arguably less talent Billy Sharp, Pukki, Maupay, MCBurnie, Ashley Barnes, Jay Rodriguez, Dwight Gayle.......all put in a shift and make a contribution when they are not scoring.

I hope he proves me wrong, because he is stylish and when he scores, the goals are usually spectacular.....but for me, he has long periods in a game of being a passenger or ineffective.

I like to see in a striker a reasonable chance of getting a goal, when the team needs one, the steely determination that Jack and John show in their play.....i don't see that with Kodj.....I don't think he is a driven player, like Withe and Gray, and yet probably more talented than them in a technical sense.

just my opinion.

Edited by TRO

45 minutes ago, TRO said:

That does seem some time ago, sure injuries have taken their toll.

Dave, pehaps Dud maybe a bit harsh.....but the last 2 seasons have been flat for him.

yes he has had one good season, where consistency was evident.

by contrast players with arguably less talent Billy Sharp, Pukki, Maupay, MCBurnie, Ashley Barnes, Jay Rodriguez, Dwight Gayle.......all put in a shift and make a contribution when they are not scoring.

I hope he proves me wrong, because he is stylish and when he scores, the goals are usually spectacular.....but for me, he has long periods in a game of being a passenger or ineffective.

I like to see in a striker a reasonable chance of getting a goal, when the team needs one, the steely determination that Jack and John show in their play.....i don't see that with Kodj.....I don't think he is a driven player, like Withe and Gray, and yet probably more talented than them.

just my opinion.

He broke his leg. Twice. 

From what i remember he broke his ankle, came back but it wasn't 100% so he injured it again and had to have a surgery later the same year and was out almost as long again.

Edited by sne

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

I thought it was his ankle.....once

I think the ankle is classed as a part of the leg, but I'm not a doctor. 

Also see Sne above. 

I think this idea that he doesn't have the drive is whack with no real evidence to back it up. Does he switch off at times and appear a bit 'lazy', yeah. But he's no worse than any other centre forward not named Tammy Abraham, one of the hardest working centre forwards I have ever seen, of the last 15 years. I include Wesley in that. Comparing him to Peter Withe and Andy Gray is also a bit pie in the sky tbf, we are hoping he can be a capable backup striker rather than a European Cup winner or young player of the year. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think the ankle is classed as a part of the leg, but I'm not a doctor. 

Also see Sne above. 

I think this idea that he doesn't have the drive is whack with no real evidence to back it up. Does he switch off at times and appear a bit 'lazy', yeah. But he's no worse than any other centre forward not named Tammy Abraham, one of the hardest working centre forwards I have ever seen, of the last 15 years. I include Wesley in that. Comparing him to Peter Withe and Andy Gray is also a bit pie in the sky tbf, we are hoping he can be a capable backup striker rather than a European Cup winner or young player of the year. 

I think you have to remember Dave its an opinion, the evidence is in the eye of the beholder.

I take in to consideration what SNE is saying and I also take in to consideration the period when he scored his goals, pre injury.

I say again.....I watch the games and in my opinion, he lacks drive, intensity and a determination of the ilk of the players that I have previously mentioned.

I have already highlighted, that he could be appraised in having more talent than Withe and Gray......so there is obviously another bunch of attributes aforementioned that relate to you thinking the comparison is pie in the sky.....because Gray and Withe were far more effective and consistent, with arguably less talent.

I also think we need players who are going to push the player with the shirt, to have any hope of progressing, not a back up in the sense of a number to fill in.

I agree with your assessment of Tammy by the way.

and oh! the very thing I am talking about, made them European Cup winner and PFA player of the year at a tender age....it wasn't through natural talent necessarily is was through determination, grit and a will to win.

So you don't agree, with my view on Kodj...... fair enough, that's what a forum is for.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â