Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

3 hours ago, Junxs said:

Sounds like you are describing Wesley 😝

Seems so.

Absolutely delighted with his performance last night.....blew away all my cobwebs of uncertainty about him, my reservations binned.

I think we have to bear in mind Keane and Mina are formidable opponents all the more reassuring for me....He did this performance against a mean defensive unit.

This lad can be anything he wants to be......that run for his goal was the awareness of a Drogba and the finish too against the current England goalkeeper ( seen them missed many times)

I just can't describe how pleased I am with that....It reminds me when I first seen Andy Gray, how he just went for it in a blaze of glory.....so did Wes Last Night.

very,very Impressed.

• Like 1

On 16/08/2019 at 13:16, TRO said:

I must admit, i was and still am hoping for a No9 with physicality.

I know they have to have many other things, but without physicality, they get too easily negated.

Yep !!!!!.....you got your wish.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I think we have to bear in mind Keane and Mina are formidable opponents all the more reassuring for me....He did this performance against a mean defensive unit.

Personally I think  he preferred to play these type of defenders. From the offset, Mina tried to rough him up and Wesley seemed to respond straight away to that challenge. He wanted to prove who was stronger. There was one time in the first half they went shoulder to shoulder and Wesley still managed to get a cross in despite Mina being all over him. Wesley turned and laughed in Mina’s face afterwards. After that for a good ten minutes, Mina didn’t want to go anywhere near him. Benteke used to get into the head of the defenders the same way, and he was always able to capitalise afterwards. Previously they haven’t been as physical, more thinking defenders rather than rough and tumble. 

That game will have done so much for Wesley’s confidence, not just the goal, but the way he was able to dominate someone fully for the first time this season. 

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Personally I think  he preferred to play these type of defenders. From the offset, Mina tried to rough him up and Wesley seemed to respond straight away to that challenge. He wanted to prove who was stronger. There was one time in the first half they went shoulder to shoulder and Wesley still managed to get a cross in despite Mina being all over him. Wesley turned and laughed in Mina’s face afterwards. After that for a good ten minutes, Mina didn’t want to go anywhere near him. Benteke used to get into the head of the defenders the same way, and he was always able to capitalise afterwards. Previously they haven’t been as physical, more thinking defenders rather than rough and tumble. 

That game will have done so much for Wesley’s confidence, not just the goal, but the way he was able to dominate someone fully for the first time this season. 

I think you are right, but I think he has the footwork to play the smaller ones too...as you say the thinking defenders, I am and always have been dubious of small centre backs and Goal Keepers, not to say, there has never been good ones.

Thats what I saw too, and probaly after the exquisite finish, the most satisfying aspect of his game, he was a real Talisman for us.

• 3 weeks later...

Smith has confirmed Kodjia unavailable again with head injury.

It does seem fans are starting to turn against him even more now as I read more articles over past month with various fan views from different sites all calling him out for his behaviour.

I do not know if this head injury is real or not, I can only say that he has only featured once this season and it's a joke on that part that we didn't bring someone in when we had that chance to do so. Waiting till January for me was always a no no but we have no choice now as we can't dip into the released players market and I fear it's left us in abit pickle.

I do have faith in Wesley, I think he's done the best he can so far and I'm impressed by him but he needs those players to deliver. Wesley needs all that support being a lone striker and I'm sure those goals will come.

However as much as i like Davis, I do think he needs more experience, we seem to be now throwing him in the deep end and I'm not sure if he can do the job as of yet. I think If January comes and Davis isn't scoring we should look at buying another new striker.

Unless, because we may have to take that gamble more, which is to let Lansbury have more games which is looking like Smith's plan now. I've seen him a couple times now having a direct affect on the game he's been in, could Lansbury be in his element right now and he might very well take that opportunity to slam a stack of goal in.

Whoever it is who scores our goals upfront, it's an exciting time as much as it is nervous one to wonder who out of our lads can pull off what we so need them to do, which is score, score and score.

Edited by Dave-R

Was actually looking forward to having him back as bench option for West Ham as I assumed he'd be back after 5 weeks out. Now I see he has picked up another injury so pretty frustrating as we'll be light on attackers off the bench for Monday again (even less options with Trezeguet suspended).

Hard to see him contributing much with all the stop start nature, Kodj needs to start games to get sharp rather than 15 minute cameos and I really can't see it happening. Think we'll sell him in January.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's a bit of a blow but people acting like he was going to be up to much at this level are deluded.

Whatever you think of his potential performance levels up here this is nothing but bad news. The only back up we now have is an injury prone kid with zero experience of 1st team football.

I'd take deluded!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nigel said:

Whatever you think of his potential performance levels up here this is nothing but bad news. The only back up we now have is an injury prone kid with zero experience of 1st team football.

I'd take deluded!

It also isn't deluded though. Kodj has been unlucky with injuries once again which isn't great. And the only game time he got was against spurs and I mean come on what was he supposed to do. They were all over us it isn't his fault he was crap against a CL finalist. 

15 hours ago, Nigel said:

I'd take deluded!

Your talking about Lansbo right, I tell you what he did score a deleted goal, that's something for me, don't fully doubt that lad, I've a feeling we will see him on to no and if he scores I bet people will start to go quiet about him.

I've a little good feeling about Lansbo, something is telling me he will push himself and bring some goals.

3 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Your talking about Lansbo right, I tell you what he did score a deleted goal, that's something for me, don't fully doubt that lad, I've a feeling we will see him on to no and if he scores I bet people will start to go quiet about him.

I've a little good feeling about Lansbo, something is telling me he will push himself and bring some goals.

Davis

Â