Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm sorry but this really is barking. If we sell Kodjia, and then Wesley gets any kind of injury or suspension, we're going to be playing a guy with less than a handful of career league goals on his own up front and with no-one to challenge him for his place or come off the bench if we're losing.

I actually remember when Davis was our only fit striker in the Championship, for about two months or so. He constantly tired before 90, became very ineffective, and the whole club was crying out for someone to take the load off him.

Having nothing up front except Wesley and Davis would be tantamount to giving up on the season.

OK.

Strongly disagree that having only 2 strikers + our academy players for a 3 month period is giving up the season but sure.

Edited by sne

Our attackers have three goals in the league between them and that's counting the wingers. Why on earth we'd consider selling a player that's scored on a regular basis for us in those circumstances I'm not sure, especially when we have another fourteen premier league games to play before we can replace him. It's all futile anyway because there's no way he will be sold before January, and even then it's not guaranteed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sne said:

OK.

Strongly disagree that having only 2 strikers + our academy players for a 3 month period is giving up the season but sure.

You say 'our academy players' like there is anybody ready to step up, but there isn't; Cameron Archer, who is seemingly the closest to the first team with RHM on loan, has roughly the same physique that RHM had a couple of years ago, and he just isn't going to trouble Premier League defences.

We're not talking about '2 plus one or two more diamonds in the rough', we're talking about '2'. Are there any other sides in the bottom half who have only two recognised strikers? For one comparison, Sheffield United have 5.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You say 'our academy players' like there is anybody ready to step up, but there isn't; Cameron Archer, who is seemingly the closest to the first team with RHM on loan, has roughly the same physique that RHM had a couple of years ago, and he just isn't going to trouble Premier League defences.

We're not talking about '2 plus one or two more diamonds in the rough', we're talking about '2'. Are there any other sides in the bottom half who have only two recognised strikers? For one comparison, Sheffield United have 5.

To sit on the bench as 3rd choice or in the stands.

Sure if we get 2 strikers injured at the same time we're in trouble, goes for pretty much any position except CB or CM and for most clubs in the world.

Kodjia struggled last season in the Championship and has ankles made out of wet paper. He has qualities but I really don't see them working in the PL

He might score the odd goal given enough time since he's always buries his head and goes for the finish rather than look for a teammate, but I nah

Ideally we'll get the same offer in January instead.

FWIW Sheffield play a 2 striker system. We do not.

Edited by sne

2 minutes ago, sne said:

To sit on the bench as 3rd choice or in the stands. [1]

Sure if we get 2 strikers injured at the same time we're in trouble [2], goes for pretty much any position except CB or CM and for most clubs in the world.

Kodjia struggled last season in the Championship and has ankles made out of wet paper. He has qualities but I really don't see them working in the PL

He might score the odd goal given enough time since he's always buries his head and goes for the finish rather than look for a teammate, but I nah

Ideally we'll get the same offer in January instead.

FWIW Sheffield play a 2 striker system. We do not.

[1] Well sure, if we're talking players who we openly expect to do nothing and contribute nothing, then no worries. But I don't think anybody actually expects a striker to be sat on the bench simply to fill a seat; they need to be able to come on and help turn a game around. If they can't, then they might as well not be there.

[2] We wouldn't need two strikers to be injured at the same time to be in trouble, we would simply need Wesley to be injured, or tired, or suspended. Davis is a young striker with comparatively few first team minutes and very few first-team goals. If he is starting, with nobody to relieve the pressure from him (see point 1) we are already in big trouble.

• Like 2

Wonder if he'll be a surprise starter next week.

Had a decent scoring record v Norwich in championship (scored against them on last day of the season).

People will think that means replacing Wes but can see him starting in one of the wide roles. Probably dosen't if we keep the same shape we did yesterday though.

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Wesley's performance yesterday was yet another argument against selling Kodjia BTW.

True.

Or a argument for selling him as we need money to spend big again in January for a replacement/rival for Wesley.

6 minutes ago, sne said:

True.

Or a argument for selling him as we need money to spend big again in January for a replacement/rival for Wesley.

I would hope we aren't that desperate for cash, since we were apparently in negotiations to buy Benrahma for a lot more money right up to the end of the transfer window.

If our financial situation is worse than I think, then sure, sell Kodjia, but don't do it until January because we need to replace or rival Wesley *now*, not in three months' time with more than half of the season gone.

We don't need to sell Kodjia in order to buy another forward in January we can just either use the money that we were going to use to buy another striker in the summer before that deal fell through, or use the loan market.

17 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Wesley's performance yesterday was yet another argument against selling Kodjia BTW.

Not so sure. For that argument to be valid you'd expect a better performance from Kodjia, and I suspect that wouldn't be the case. 

My only argument against recouping money on Kodjia is that we would be dangerously thin in that position. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Not so sure. For that argument to be valid you'd expect a better performance from Kodjia, and I suspect that wouldn't be the case. 

My only argument against recouping money on Kodjia is that we would be dangerously thin in that position. 

I don't think Kodjia would be any worse than Wesley was yesterday.

• Like 2

Will take this all day long for Kodjia if true, seriously I was always thinking we would get 2 mill for him but again if true I'd snap there arm off and put the money to bring a real quality striker in.

Qatar side Al-Gharafa are willing to offer up to £7m to sign Villa’s Kodjia before their deadline closes at the end of this month, according to Football Insider.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wants-go-aston-villa-been-17000850

We're talking about a player who's scored 29 goals and provided 8 assists in 98 games since joining, and that 98 games figure is misleading, in terms of minutes on the pitch he scored those 29 goals in 67 games worth of football. It's not even if those stats are applicable to before his injury only, his goal to minutes ratio has been just as impressive since coming back from long-term injury. To sell him now would be the most baffling decision ever, thankfully it won't happen.

• Like 4

I just think he's ill suited to the way we play.

He is terrible at the defensive parts of being a attacker, ball winning and pressing and such.

His vision and decision making is also poor and while neither slow nor weak, he's up against better defenders than he's ever played against in the PL.

I think he, just like Wes will struggle to make an impact. And Wes is (should be) much stronger.

He is good for the odd wonder goal and creating something out of nothing and I don't think he'd be affected by nerves at the slightest.

• Like 2

On 29/09/2019 at 13:31, sne said:

True.

We need to spend right....not necessarily big.

Â