Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

45 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Which game were you watching? 

I thought he did well under the circumstances, was very isolated but ran the channels, held the ball well and kept possession by laying it off and never trying too much. 

If you were expecting him to create chances for others, well then they need to get up and support. That looked more like a 5-5-1 formation last night than 3-5-2

He's got 3 goals in 4 games during preseason and looked sharp. I really don't know why so many fans give him such a hard time. He will score 20+ this season if he can stay fit. I'm super excited we look to have got him back and firing after those 2 long term injuries. 

He probably will score 20 goals....but the team won't get close to the 72 goals we scored last year. I agree with the post, we look disjointed when he plays as our lone striker. We looked a better team immediately when Davis came in last season when he got injured. Unfortunately Davis doesn't bring the goals, he's very much like Heskey was for us. I would pick him ahead of Kodija though in a lone striker role. Personally I would play Kodija deeper in a free role or put him out wide.

19 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Which game were you watching? 

I thought he did well under the circumstances, was very isolated but ran the channels, held the ball well and kept possession by laying it off and never trying too much. 

If you were expecting him to create chances for others, well then they need to get up and support. That looked more like a 5-5-1 formation last night than 3-5-2

If thats what you have been seeing then I wont argue with you, but I viewed it differently,  there is a difference between holding the ball up for others to join in and holding the ball up to try and create space for yourself. 

He has such amazing ability to manipulate the ball but its completely wasted if he doesnt release it quicker. There were plenty of times against Burton (Im going to use the Burton game more than last nights as there wont be many teams that play as well as west ham) that he had created the space yet completely failed to see the easy pass that would have resulted in a great chance for his team mates. Its like he has a mental block in trying to use the space. The only time he let go of the ball was when he had dragged 3 defenders over to block his own path, even then it was just a layoff to the feet of the closest person, who will then be in the same trouble as himself. 

I do think he is trying, but its completely unnatural to his game. Its like he has to stop and think before releasing it.

What we need is to bring our other attacking players back into the game in this final phase, but as its not his game the others tend to hold back which results in less bodies in the box.

This is why it looks as if no players are supporting him, you see the difference if it Davis (or any other target man) up front.

He's got 3 goals in 4 games during preseason and looked sharp. I really don't know why so many fans give him such a hard time. He will score 20+ this season if he can stay fit. I'm super excited we look to have got him back and firing after those 2 long term injuries. 

Im glad hes scoring i really am,  and im sure that he will score 20 goals, however what will be the cost of those 20 goals? Id like to bet that there wont be many other goals scored from open play and that ist the way to gain automatic promotion.  You need multiple outlets to cover for when one is off form.

I really hope im wrong but I cant see him allowing our other players the chance to show their goal scoring form.

Thats why folks are unsure about him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

Something has to change up top, Kodjia does not work up there as it stands!

His lack of ability to bring other players into the game is really hurting us; The man only passes when he has no other option, so every move breaks down with him.

We cant play the whole season like that!

The opportunity to change up top was gone yesterday when Bruce was allowed to stay.  You could play falco up front and he would look like Darren Bent.

5 hours ago, Nigel said:

If thats what you have been seeing then I wont argue with you, but I viewed it differently,  there is a difference between holding the ball up for others to join in and holding the ball up to try and create space for yourself. 

He has such amazing ability to manipulate the ball but its completely wasted if he doesnt release it quicker. There were plenty of times against Burton (Im going to use the Burton game more than last nights as there wont be many teams that play as well as west ham) that he had created the space yet completely failed to see the easy pass that would have resulted in a great chance for his team mates. Its like he has a mental block in trying to use the space. The only time he let go of the ball was when he had dragged 3 defenders over to block his own path, even then it was just a layoff to the feet of the closest person, who will then be in the same trouble as himself. 

I do think he is trying, but its completely unnatural to his game. Its like he has to stop and think before releasing it.

What we need is to bring our other attacking players back into the game in this final phase, but as its not his game the others tend to hold back which results in less bodies in the box.

This is why it looks as if no players are supporting him, you see the difference if it Davis (or any other target man) up front.

Im glad hes scoring i really am,  and im sure that he will score 20 goals, however what will be the cost of those 20 goals? Id like to bet that there wont be many other goals scored from open play and that ist the way to gain automatic promotion.  You need multiple outlets to cover for when one is off form.

I really hope im wrong but I cant see him allowing our other players the chance to show their goal scoring form.

Thats why folks are unsure about him.

I'm glad you chose that game as your example of kodjia not being a team player. Not only does it dispel your theory of no team goals if kodjia plays seeing as there were 4 different scorers, but also kodjia was involved in 3 out of 4 goals. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nigel said:

Would like to see him from the bench on Saturday. Davis should be given a chance to start (If hes fit?).

I agree solely because he needs a rest. He looked exhausted against West ham. Poor first touches, and lack of movement is an obvious sign of fatigue. 

I'd be tempted to start Adomah up top if Davis, Hogan, and Murphey are still injured. Adomah did well against Brentford as a striker, and I don't think he has the legs for left wing each week anymore. 

7 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I agree solely because he needs a rest. He looked exhausted against West ham. Poor first touches, and lack of movement is an obvious sign of fatigue. 

I'd be tempted to start Adomah up top if Davis, Hogan, and Murphey are still injured. Adomah did well against Brentford as a striker, and I don't think he has the legs for left wing each week anymore. 

I see kodjia and Adomah as winger/striker role......I don't see them central leading the line.

I would like a poor mans Giraud ..Type....maybe Mitrovic on loan.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

I see kodjia and Adomah as winger/striker role......I don't see them central leading the line.

Mitrovic would be brilliant. Problem is we are pretty deep at striker currently, so we'd definitely have to sell someone first. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Season not even kicked off yet and already Kodjia is dividing fans about if he helps or hinders the team ?

I think he is a good player, (with limitations)......needs the right player down the middle to play off.

gets knocked off the ball too easily since his injury.

8 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Mitrovic would be brilliant. Problem is we are pretty deep at striker currently, so we'd definitely have to sell someone first. 

we have plenty of strikers.....just want ones that show effect.

28 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I'm glad you chose that game as your example of kodjia not being a team player. Not only does it dispel your theory of no team goals if kodjia plays seeing as there were 4 different scorers, but also kodjia was involved in 3 out of 4 goals. 

We scored 4 goals because they were terrible.

As i said im not going to try a convince you as it how you see it.  For me he limits the team!

Since his injury he appears to have retained all the bad traits (such as having no clue about players moving around him) without showing any of his good traits. You have to wonder whether the injury has finished him. I guess we will find out.

I don't want to be overly negative about it but he hasn't looked the same player at all since coming back from the double injury. 

His touch is awful at times, seems slower than I remembered him being and I am concerned he will not get back to the player he was. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I don't want to be overly negative about it but he hasn't looked the same player at all since coming back from the double injury. 

His touch is awful at times, seems slower than I remembered him being and I am concerned he will not get back to the player he was. 

And he seems to whine even more than before.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I think he is a good player, (with limitations)......needs the right player down the middle to play off.

gets knocked off the ball too easily since his injury.

Definitely. All pre season anything into his feet with someone up his arse he doesn't fancy it. Needs to get over it and fast.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Czechlad said:
3 hours ago, TRO said:

This Giraud you speak of is he Steven Gerrard’s french cousin? Steven Giraud? Or Oliver Giroud?

Â