Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Only because it has no relevance regarding the championship

But it has a massive relevance in terms of form! You cant just pick and choose competitions in any argument.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Nigel said:

But it has a massive relevance in terms of form! You cant just pick and choose competitions in any argument.

You can when both teams in the cup play a completely differeny starting XI.

You may as well start counting the U23s results towards the form of the first team in that case.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nigel said:

This is a bit of a double edged sword for me!

The emergence of Davis has redefined what we need from our forward(s)

The team is stronger than last year and we need to take advantage of that, which means attacking as a unit.

Can Kodge learn bring others into play?

I fear his reintroduction may actually harm the team, hope Im wrong though!

Davis needs to start scoring some goals. Davis is also far too inexperienced to be heavily relied on. We definitely have played better with him up top, but we have to learn how to play with Hogan and Kodjia as well. If Davis gets hurt, suspended, or just suffers from poor form, we need to have the ability to play more than one way. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

The day after is the Boro cup game. If he comes through the U23 game with no issues is there any chance he makes the bench?

BE LIKE A NEW SIGNING.

I think it's Boro in the league on the 12th then Boro in the cup the week after? 

I hope so anyway, as I bought tickets for the 12th thinking it was the league game!!

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

You can when both teams in the cup play a completely differeny starting XI.

You may as well start counting the U23s results towards the form of the first team in that case.

I don't get this, it's our squad, the very players we will be seeing in'the first team all season. These are also the players who are competing against kodjia for a starting berth, and doing fantastically well too.

1 hour ago, Czechlad said:

Davis needs to start scoring some goals. Davis is also far too inexperienced to be heavily relied on. We definitely have played better with him up top, but we have to learn how to play with Hogan and Kodjia as well. If Davis gets hurt, suspended, or just suffers from poor form, we need to have the ability to play more than one way. 

If he starts to score goals he will be out number 1 striker. The thing he offers is cohesion with the midfield currently. Since we have such relatively good players this is a game changer for me.

its obvious really that I'd prefer Davis to score half the goals kodjia would get if his play allowed the midfield to start scoring regularly.

You are right though in that he will have dips due to his inexperience....sounds funny but I'd hope kodjia would be humble enough to learn from him and add it to his own game. 

Edited by Nigel

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

We have only scored more than one goal in a league game once, Norwich.

That's a relief. For a scary moment there I thought there was something positive to say about Villa. Back to the unremitting negativity then, chaps!

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Nigel said:

I don't get this, it's our squad, the very players we will be seeing in'the first team all season. These are also the players who are competing against kodjia for a starting berth, and doing fantastically well too.

And the players playing in the U23s are also our squad. If that team is getting a chance in the first team in a cup game, you cant really count it towards the regular starters form guide.

In any case, form is usually judged over 5 or 6 games not 3.

And seeing as the cup game is 1) a completely different team playing,  and 2) has no relevance to promotion - then you need to look at the league form, which is 5 points in 5 games. That is not good enough no matter how you try to dress it up.

If the regulars were playing in the cup games (albeit against lower leagues reserve teams) then I may consider it differently but they just aren't. How many of those players playing against Wigan started the prior or next league games?

Had a bit of time on my hands so I went through all of Bruce's fixtures where JK was either away, inured or suspended.

Not as many games as I imagined, he only missed 4 league games whilst away at AFCON and 2 at the end.

anyway, here are the results:

L Cardiff 0-1
L Wolves 0-1
D Preston 2-2 
L Brentford 0-3
W Birmingham 1-0
D Brighton 1-1
D Hull 1-1
L Cardiff 0-3
L Reading 1-2
W Norwich 4-2
D Bristol 1-1
D Brentford 0-0

So thats 11 points from a possible 36, averaging less than a point a game which over a season would get a team relegated. 

Shows how important JK really is, but more importantly shows how Bruce has no real plan when he's not around, relegation would have been a real possibility had RdM not signed Kodj

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Had a bit of time on my hands so I went through all of Bruce's fixtures where JK was either away, inured or suspended.

Not as many games as I imagined, he only missed 4 league games whilst away at AFCON and 2 at the end.

anyway, here are the results:

L Cardiff 0-1
L Wolves 0-1
D Preston 2-2 
L Brentford 0-3
W Birmingham 1-0
D Brighton 1-1
D Hull 1-1
L Cardiff 0-3
L Reading 1-2
W Norwich 4-2
D Bristol 1-1
D Brentford 0-0

So thats 11 points from a possible 36, averaging less than a point a game which over a season would get a team relegated. 

Shows how important JK really is, but more importantly shows how Bruce has no real plan when he's not around, relegation would have been a real possibility had RdM not signed Kodj

Interesting post. 

• Like 1

On 8/16/2017 at 13:55, Czechlad said:

I looked into this, and Bruce's success at Aston Villa directly correlates to when Kodjia was fit and with the team. In January of this year, we lost Kodjia to the african cup of nations. Our form proceeded to dip hard. Kodjia came back, but if I remember right he was carrying a knock or something stalled him from jumping back into the first team so we continued to struggle. Kodjia then was fit again, and we went on a ridiculous run that made a lot of us believe we could make the playoffs. BUT then Kodjia breaks his leg, and our form falls off a cliff again. Bruce's style of play is so dependent on having a big man like Kodjia up top, so I am kind of shocked we haven't signed anyone as a back up to Kodjia. Hell, I'd even think Kozak would probably do better than Hogan in Bruce's team.

03dfb231c8e2283e8ae3d7b517c21d15.png

I post this last month. We really are a one man team. 

Read my post, and you will see that with Kodjia, we can get promoted, but without him, we stand no chance at least with Bruce in charge. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I post this last month. We really are a one man team. 

Read my post, and you will see that with Kodjia, we can get promoted, but without him, we stand no chance at least with Bruce in charge. 

Agree with this and @Junxs.  Worryingly, it must be in Bruce's mind too. It will be his excuse for failure, and I imagine his only 'strategy' now is to get 1-0 wins with JK back in the team. Complete joke, given all the other resources 

• Like 1

On 08/09/2017 at 18:59, briny_ear said:

That's a relief. For a scary moment there I thought there was something positive to say about Villa. Back to the unremitting negativity then, chaps!

Feel free to point out the long list of positives. 

• Like 1

Â