Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

We watched a different game then, as did all the people around me as everyone at the game was losing patience with him yesterday.

I thought our gameplan was a bit more direct which required Kodja to receive long balls and pass them back.

I think he did fine in that department, however his miss has put a scar on the perfarmance. 

6/10 for me!

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Lazy yesterday, his closing down is a token effort at best.

Abraham is a cut above in almost all departments for me.

I'm not so sure about "Lazy" more physically shy for me....when the going gets tough, he goes to ground too often....becomes very theatrical.

If he is not scoring, there are games when you have to ask yourself ...what exactly is he doing.

For me he has talent.....its the application that's a concern.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

Seems to be getting injured alot - hope we have Tammy back for the Playoffs 

I'm not even convinced he is/was injured - will retract of course if proved wrong.

I think he thought 'shit, after all this kerfuffle over me being down I'd better bloody go off now'

@TRO - no it was largely laziness yesterday, unless he was told to play that way but I can't see Smith instructing him to make a half arsed effort for 75% of the time.

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I'm not even convinced he is/was injured - will retract of course if proved wrong.

I think he thought 'shit, after all this kerfuffle over me being down I'd better bloody go off now'

@TRO - no it was largely laziness yesterday, unless he was told to play that way but I can't see Smith instructing him to make a half arsed effort for 75% of the time.

I don't think Smith asked him to play that way at all.....I am just not sure its laziness, I think its more an inability or tendency to want to mix it.....I think he is a bit of a show pony....and at this level in this league you will be exposed.....We need more Gary Madine type as back up.

Personally, I would have played Keinan Yesterday.

Kodjia just doesnt put himself about enough for me, can conjure up moments of magic, but they are too few and far between since his brilliany first year here. Keinan occupies defences, holds up play and brings the midfield into play more, really want him to be our first choice off the bench in the playoffs.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Lazy yesterday, his closing down is a token effort at best.

Abraham is a cut above in almost all departments for me.

Yup. Poor player for a lpne striker role however people wish to spin it. 

Thought he held it up surprisingly well, and was really putting in a shift defensively.

There was one point where I think it was McGinn who was caught overextending upfield near the keeper and Kodjia dropped into midfield to cover for him and helped stop an attack at the edge of our box.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with @dont_do_it_doug. I haven't forgot all the good Kodjia has given us, and he's genuinely one of the most exciting players I've seen play for us. I love his footwork, and I know people question his work rate these days, but in his 1-on-1 duals he really gets stuck into them. He also strikes me sometimes as a bit of a lone wolf, but then when someone else scores he's right in with the celebrations.

Abraham probably is a better option, and Davis is also a solid option, but Kodjia is by far the most exciting of the three.

• Like 1

If Tammy is out of the play - offs then I would definitely play Kod - yes he is moody, sulky and so forth - he is also a big game player - he has things in his locker that neither Tammy or Davis have, I can just imagine him chomping at the bit for a slice of Wembley glory - he has the x- factor - just not consistency to match imo 

• Like 1

On 30/04/2019 at 04:34, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Kodjia just doesnt put himself about enough for me, can conjure up moments of magic, but they are too few and far between since his brilliany first year here. Keinan occupies defences, holds up play and brings the midfield into play more, really want him to be our first choice off the bench in the playoffs.

I think since his injury he’s looked better as a wide forward. He doesn’t make the defence work hard enough to play CF now, Keinan just needs to grab his chances.

16 hours ago, Dave J said:

If Tammy is out of the play - offs then I would definitely play Kod - yes he is moody, sulky and so forth - he is also a big game player - he has things in his locker that neither Tammy or Davis have, I can just imagine him chomping at the bit for a slice of Wembley glory - he has the x- factor - just not consistency to match imo 

I think you are being benevolent.....He has the talent, but doesn't force issues....He seems to be more comfortable with unforced errors, than to rely on forcing them.

Unless his talent takes him past an opponent, his muscle rarely does....He is too easily negated on that front....typical of a player at this level, limited.

I fear if Tammy is not available for the finals, but hey ho......The perfect preparation sometimes don't work, such is the complexity of factors.

16 hours ago, 7392craig said:

I think since his injury he’s looked better as a wide forward. He doesn’t make the defence work hard enough to play CF now, Keinan just needs to grab his chances.

That's a veiled way of saying he is not robust or durable enough.

I just don't see a way he can get past stubborn defences.

35 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think you are being benevolent.....He has the talent, but doesn't force issues....He seems to be more comfortable with unforced errors, than to rely on forcing them.

Unless his talent takes him past an opponent, his muscle rarely does....He is too easily negated on that front....typical of a player at this level, limited.

I fear if Tammy is not available for the finals, but hey ho......The perfect preparation sometimes don't work, such is the complexity of factors.

I think your just saying the same as I am TRO - very talented footballer just doesn't make the most of it - step forward Stanley Victor Mk2

36 minutes ago, TRO said:

That's a veiled way of saying he is not robust or durable enough.

I just don't see a way he can get past stubborn defences.

Yes, I think the injury softened him up a bit, as if he doesn’t want it to happen again. He certainly seemed more powerful in his first season. He’s a very skilful player it’s his end product that’s slipping away.

6 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

Yes, I think the injury softened him up a bit, as if he doesn’t want it to happen again. He certainly seemed more powerful in his first season. He’s a very skilful player it’s his end product that’s slipping away.

If you remember Andy Gray, He wasn't the most gifted of Centre forwards( in the technical sense)....but he MADE things happen.....Brian Little was the technician.

Present day...... Billy Sharp, Pukki,Rodriguez....They work their defender as does Tammy.

Kodjia will score goals, but it will be in certain games, where he is allowed to.

Edited by TRO

Â