Ritchie De Laet

meme

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

I may have dreamed this but didn't Everton have to play defender Steve Watson up front for a while cos they were strapped for cash or all their strikers were injured ?

Then again, in Blackburn's title winning season (or poss the season either side) centre half Paul Warhurst did pretty well as a forward.

At Leicester and I think under ONeill they used to play Steve Walsh upfront though his main position was CB.

We of course went the other way and took Dublin and made him a CB in his final season

3 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

sure at one point we played Emile Heskey as a striker. crazy to think...

Wasn't there chat that we'd play Heskey at center back and we actually did one cup match? 

1 hour ago, Czechlad said:

Wasn't there chat that we'd play Heskey at center back and we actually did one cup match? 

McLeish tactics had him so deep you could never tell ;)

25 minutes ago, Zatman said:

McLeish tactics had him so deep you could never tell ;)

Who could forget the night we played Cuellar and Hutton on the right and Heskey tracking back from center forward to stop Gareth Bale.

On 09/04/2019 at 12:29, NIVillan said:

At Leicester and I think under ONeill they used to play Steve Walsh upfront though his main position was CB.

We of course went the other way and took Dublin and made him a CB in his final season

19 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Chris Sutton started as a CB and converted to a striker IIRC

Also Paul Warhurst (ex Blackburn, Oldham & Sheff Wed)

Played as Cental Defender. Centre Midfielder and a striker in his career

Edited by Villan4Life

• 1 month later...
On 10/04/2019 at 15:14, NIVillan said:

Our own Alan Evans was signed as a Striker and converted to a CB.

Kenny Swain was a winger and ended up a right back.

Hogan was signed as striker and ended  up .......well not being one ! 

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, ender4 said:

is De Laet still at Villa?

Not for much longer, out of contract not being offered a new deal

Another piece of outstanding business. Half a dozen appearances (I guess?) in 3 years and I'd guesstimate 5 million in wages and transfer fess. 

Another one out the door. Combination of bad luck with injuries and then not fitting in with the new managers plans. 

1 hour ago, Hornso said:

Unlucky with injuries and then after a good pre-season Bruce shipped him out on loan. 14 appearances here in 3 seasons.

Seems to be a common theme with Bruce

• Like 1

On 10/04/2019 at 15:25, Villan4Life said:

Also Paul Warhurst (ex Blackburn, Oldham & Sheff Wed)

Played as Cental Defender. Centre Midfielder and a striker in his career

The Warhurst thing is one of my first vivid non Villa memories in football. He got pushed up front midway though the 92/93 season because Sheffield Wednesday had an injury crisis and out of nowhere went from being a middling centre half to posting numbers Cristiano Ronaldo would be happy with. Got called up for England as a striker, got injured, signed for Blackburn for huge money then sat on the bench for the duration of his time at the club. Got a title medal though.  Brilliant for two months and made an entire career out of it. It was like the club level version of getting a move to PSG or somewhere on the back of a good world cup.  

• Like 2

Â