The Championship thread

TrentVilla

Just noticed that Bristol CIty are now only five points off top two, having won four games in a row, have got two homes games coming up and then play Leeds and Albion one after the other, do well in those and they could find themselves in the automatic spots towards the end of the month. They've also strengthened by signing Nahki Wells and Benkovic from Leiceser. That said a lot of championship teams seem to go on a good run look like they're going to do something, but then go on an equally bad run to cancel it out, so we'll see.

4 hours ago, useless said:

Just noticed that Bristol CIty are now only five points off top two, having won four games in a row, have got two homes games coming up and then play Leeds and Albion one after the other, do well in those and they could find themselves in the automatic spots towards the end of the month. They've also strengthened by signing Nahki Wells and Benkovic from Leiceser. That said a lot of championship teams seem to go on a good run look like they're going to do something, but then go on an equally bad run to cancel it out, so we'll see.

Like when we were 2nd then lost to Bolton's 18th century football 

Was going to say we used to do it ourselves under Bruce, like when we beat Wolves 4-1 to take us to within just four points of Cardiff, and seven of Wolves with ten games still to go giving us a chance of top two, but we then went and lost 3-1 at home to QPR, then lost again to Bolton and could only draw with Hull. Strange to think that that Wolves result was less than two years ago, for some reason it feels longer ago to me than that. At least we got it right in the end.

On 02/02/2020 at 22:57, VillaJ100 said:

Like when we were 2nd then lost to Bolton's 18th century football 

Actually we only were 2nd for one week (I think Cardiff had a game in hand). Even if Cardiff won that they'd still be below us but we had Fulham away. That game came after 7 wins on row. It was the time which made the gap to just couple of points. Then we drew with Preston. That was our main decline. Then we completed it by losing to QPR and Bolton, drew to Hull, lost at Norwich. 

The thing that's unbelievable, we haven't stayed at 2nd place more than 2 weeks. That week (before playing Fulham), and after playing Hull beginning of last season, by GD. I can't remember being there apart from that. Maybe someone can't correct if I miss something. But it's strange we made it the hard way!

On 02/02/2020 at 15:12, useless said:

First time in 30 years we managed to win 4 games in a row with clean sheets.

Probably won't be 5 wins on Friday, as it's Brum on tv with Keith Stroud as ref.

55 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

First time in 30 years we managed to win 4 games in a row with clean sheets.

Probably won't be 5 wins on Friday, as it's Brum on tv with Keith Stroud as ref.

Good going! Coming from Somerset I always wanted Bristol City to make it to the premier league...until I realised how much they hate Villa, now it’s Rovers all the way!

What is the Keith Stroud thing? Seen a few posts by City fans about him screwing you over. I might be making myself look silly here as I vaguely remember we may have benefitted from one of the bad decisions.

3 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Good going! Coming from Somerset I always wanted Bristol City to make it to the premier league...until I realised how much they hate Villa, now it’s Rovers all the way!

What is the Keith Stroud thing? Seen a few posts by City fans about him screwing you over. I might be making myself look silly here as I vaguely remember we may have benefitted from one of the bad decisions.

Stroud is an awful ref in general,  but we also have a terrible record when he is in charge of our games. 3 wins in 22 games and 11 defeats.

That's not to say he is biased against us or anything, just a combination of a bad record and Stroud being incompetent all around, and likes to be the centre of attention.

7 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Stroud is an awful ref in general,  but we also have a terrible record when he is in charge of our games. 3 wins in 22 games and 11 defeats.

That's not to say he is biased against us or anything, just a combination of a bad record and Stroud being incompetent all around, and likes to be the centre of attention.

Fair enough.

Tbh I think the general standard of refereeing in this country is dreadful. Don’t watch many European leagues nowadays so for all I know they may be exactly the same.

5 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Fair enough.

Tbh I think the general standard of refereeing in this country is dreadful. Don’t watch many European leagues nowadays so for all I know they may be exactly the same.

What makes me laugh is say....compare reffing in this country to rugby.

Considering the sport of rugby is less high profile, less money involved etc, the refs make footballing refs look like amateurs at best, or incompetent at worst.

Considering how high profile english football is, and the money involved, it's quite shocking how poor the general standard of refereeing is.

Edited by MaVilla

On 02/02/2020 at 15:12, useless said:

Just noticed that Bristol CIty are now only five points off top two, having won four games in a row, have got two homes games coming up and then play Leeds and Albion one after the other, do well in those and they could find themselves in the automatic spots. That said a lot of championship teams seem to go on a good run look like they're going to do something, but then go on an equally bad run to cancel it out, so we'll see.

I think Johnson wrote the book on how to become Ernie McCracken after a few wins, then lose the next 7!

15 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Walked past the Birmingham squad earlier.

Completely blanked them.

Mind games already started.

Clearly didn’t work! What happened?!

And just to be clear, we’re not angry, we are just disappointed ;) 

Leeds losing at Forest, they’re currently only clinging on to second place by goal difference. Fulham are catching them up now, both on 55 points, with  Forest on 54 and Brentford on 54.

There’s a long way to go yet but if Leeds don’t go up this year, you’d have to imagine Bielsa would be off. 

The current top 5 plus one more will be the final standings I'm sure.

Fancy Leeds and Brentford automatically myself.

**** sake what a nightmare league to get out of. Please keep us up Jack.

• Like 1

Â