The Championship thread

TrentVilla

It's funny with all the old reports of us 'doing a Fulham' that they actually remind me of villas second year in the league.

Massive wages, gambled on promotion, players too good for the division, yet still are just outside of the leading 2 teams who dont seem to drop points.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure what Fulham are playing at, everytime they look to have a good opportunity to close the gap on top two they throw it away, and are now losing at home to Reading. Brentford winning again though, Benrahma on the scoresheet. Forest sneaking up the table as well, if they win their game in hand will be just six points off top two.

I wouldn't put it past Brentford getting 2nd if they don't sell anyone in January.

Everyone knows they're a streaky team but they've been playing very well for months now.

Still 9 points off 2nd but Leeds and WBA aren't winning too many games atm.

16 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I wouldn't put it past Brentford getting 2nd if they don't sell anyone in January.

Everyone knows they're a streaky team but they've been playing very well for months now.

Still 9 points off 2nd but Leeds and WBA aren't winning too many games atm.

They really improved their defense after Smith left.

They got a great chance i reckon.

Brentford's defence is best in the league at the moment, but It's worth remembering that they spent close to £30m in the summer, Smith or any of their previous manager never had anything like that much to spend.

Pontus Jansson was a top signing as I expected, Leeds missed him last few weeks.

Dean Smith managed them for 12 games last season before joining us. They conceded 14 goals. Norwich conceded 14. West Brom 17. Us 20.  Sheffield United 13. So his record at start of last season was no worse than four of the teams who eventually finished top 6.

I actually think DS would've got Brentford in play offs last season if he'd stayed as they started that season well enough.

I don't really consider the championship in any case to be a league where you need to be defensively solid to be any good in any case given the random nature of many games and the quick turnarounds with the constant Saturday-Tuesday games.

Edited by VillaChris

3 hours ago, useless said:

Brentford's defence is best in the league at the moment, but It's worth remembering that they spent close to £30m in the summer, Smith or any of their previous manager never had anything like that much to spend.

Sure, but they did also lose the spine of their team (Bentley, Konsa, Sawyers and Maupay). It’s pretty impressive what they’re doing IMO. 

I wasn't trying to rubbish how well they're doing, just refuting the idea that they're only doing well now because Smith has left them, when I'm sure if he'd have had a cool thirty mil then he'd have them challenging for promotion as well. As we know ourselves money alone isn't enough, Bristol City also spent close to thirty million in the summer and didn't lose any of their better players so arguably should be doing better, but they're down in eleventh place, and don't lookto have improved much.

9 hours ago, bobzy said:

Sure, but they did also lose the spine of their team (Bentley, Konsa, Sawyers and Maupay). It’s pretty impressive what they’re doing IMO. 

Great chance to establish themselves as a PL side if they go get promotion because they only buy good players. 

Â