The Championship thread

TrentVilla

A few weeks back when Brentford had a chance to climb into the top two they lost their nerve and went five games without a win which has probably cost them any chance of going up automatically, when another gap opens up between them and second place they suddenly find their form and finally win again, their first win in six games.

Edited by useless

Leeds have got over the worst now.  Still got to play Luton, Charlton, Barnsley and Stoke at home. Win three of those and think that will be enough as Fulham will struggle to get to 80 points with what they have left.

If they don't make top 2 it will be a worse collapse than last season as I imagine Sheffield United were closer to them than Fulham were at this stage last season.

Edit: Just checked....Leeds were two points clear of Sheffield United at this point last season so much more of a knife edge than it is now.

Edited by VillaChris

Unfortunately it's going to be Leeds and West Brom promoted which always looked the likeliest outcome for me, can see the former winning the title now they've well and truly overcome their annual blip! 

I think Fulhams experience will see them win the play-offs but I hope it's someone else. A Brentford vs Fulham final would be a good spectacle! 

• Like 1

The only problem for Leeds is that they're one of these teams that can look to be going well, then they'll lose a game that no one is expecting them to and they then go on a bad run of form. They're away to Cardiff next, all it would take is for them to lose that and for Fulham to win at home to Brentford and suddenly they're only four points clear of Fulham with Fulham to come to Elland Road the following Wednesday. Basically if Fulham can win their next two, espcially the game against Leeds then I think it puts them back in contention, but then again it would be typical of this season for them to win those games, and then go and lose to either Queens Park Rangers or small heath.

34 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Unfortunately it's going to be Leeds and West Brom promoted which always looked the likeliest outcome for me, can see the former winning the title now they've well and truly overcome their annual blip! 

I think Fulhams experience will see them win the play-offs but I hope it's someone else. A Brentford vs Fulham final would be a good spectacle! 

On the plus side, if we do go down, a league without Leeds and Baggies will be much easier to get promoted in.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rob182 said:

On the plus side, if we do go down, a league without Leeds and Baggies will be much easier to get promoted in.

Very true. I think if bournmouth went down howe would leave and all their star playera be gone so they wouldnt be a threat. West ham would though so be bwtter of we were to go down west ham stay up.

I think norwich will be up there as they have some decent players and in good financial shape. 

If we went down in teems of coming back up at first attempt id say be better of it was us bournmouth and norwich.

Brighton with the lokes of maupay an dmpoy would come straight back up so best they stay up to.

But i definitely want to stay up. A pl seaosn with us wba and wolves be great for midlands football. 

Would love it leeds imploded again but cant see it. They have a very easy run in and the teams around them are garbage.

If fulham had a half decent manager they would have won the league

Parker is pants.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rob182 said:

It's very, very true.

Although i think Norwich will be very dangerous next season

Just now, villa4europe said:

Bournemouth are rumoured to be in big trouble financially so a relegation could see a fire sale and complete rebuild 

EFL are also waiting with a harsher punishment as they broke a lot of financial rules in the promotion season 

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

EFL are also waiting with a harsher punishment as they broke a lot of financial rules in the promotion season 

Not sure if they can retroactively punish them years later can they? 

11 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Dunno they were facing a huge fine and points deduction. Think other teams be pissed down there if got away with it. 

43 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Unlikely. Fairly sure it's a 3 year period, so doubt you can punish a team for something they did 6 years ago.

On 07/03/2020 at 19:47, VillaChris said:

Leeds have got over the worst now.  Still got to play Luton, Charlton, Barnsley and Stoke at home. Win three of those and think that will be enough as Fulham will struggle to get to 80 points with what they have left.

If they don't make top 2 it will be a worse collapse than last season as I imagine Sheffield United were closer to them than Fulham were at this stage last season.

Edit: Just checked....Leeds were two points clear of Sheffield United at this point last season so much more of a knife edge than it is now.

Nah, Leeds can't possibly be promoted because I have it on good authority that Bielsa teams don't last an entire season!!!1122

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
Â