Dalian Atkinson

Pongotastic

4 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Absolutely shocking news. Probably the biggest reason we won the Cup in 1994. Thanks a lot big man, RIP. 

I was 7 days old when we won that cup and peed on my moms lap when we scored, she told me I was a villa fan ever since. That makes this man an incredibly important player to me. Otherwise I might be wearing a navy blue shirt on saturdays and that would be just horrible.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Absolutely shocking news. Probably the biggest reason we won the Cup in 1994. Thanks a lot big man, RIP. 

He was immense that day. That was the first time I had witnessed us win something in the flesh so a really special memory for me.

On his day Atkinson was a handful for any defender and him and Saunders for a couple of seasons were a great partnership. He was a real character as well.

RIP Big man.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

Just now, Wainy316 said:

Completely gutted.

Anymore into the circumstances as to why he tasered etc?

I think it would be difficult to be tasered to death so I'd imagine it set off a heart attack or something :(

Had a heart attack while being transported to hospital, apparently. 

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Over-riding emotion here is one of pure anger.  I'll bite my tongue here as I assume we have members of plod around the place.  I just hope against all hope that we get to the bottom of this.  And I don't mean some manufactured lie provided by a police script-writer.  Sadly I don't think we'll ever truly know anything other than what they want us to hear in order to justify man-slaughter.

RIP Dalian.  One of, if not my absolute favourite Aston Villa player ever.  Just absolutely stunned by this.

Well said BOF! I hope there were witnesses there to say what really happened and the law upheld in every way. But, if there weren't any witnesses, well, who on earth would believe whatever attempt at a story they come out with? I certainly won't, after personally being a victim of wrong-doing by the West Mercia Police force!

Big man, you will be sadly missed and my only hope now is that justice is served for you. Thanks for all the memories. If only they had players that scored goals like yours down at Villa Park these days! RIP :flag:

Witness account here......

http://news.sky.com/story/ex-aston-villa-player-dies-in-police-tasering-10537438

Former Aston Villa footballer Dalian Atkinson has died after he was shot by a police stun gun early on Monday morning. Officers were called to a home in Meadow Close, Telford, Shrophire after concerns "for the safety of an individual" were raised. West Mercia Police said the 48-year-old man was given medical treatment after being hit by Taser, but died around 90 minutes later. Witness Paula Quinn said she heard shouting outside and when she looked out of the window she saw two police officers and a local resident having "loud discussions". She told Sky News the man was "stumbling" towards the police officers. She said: "The police officer shouted something about deploying the Taser but because the gentleman was still stumbling forwards he deployed the Taser anyway. "Then the gentleman just dropped like a lead balloon and landed straight on the floor." Ms Quinn added: "It all went quiet for seconds. I can only assume the man was now subdued. Numerous police vehicles and paramedics arrived. I heard the paramedics working on him and then they took him away in the ambulance." Mr Atkinson was thought to have been visiting his father, believed to be aged in his 80s, who lives in the cul-de-sac. Neighbours said the retired football star, who drives a Porsche, was well-known among people in the street, making frequent visits there.

Edited by Gary Thomas

Just now, villarocker said:

Well said BOF! I hope there were witnesses there to say what really happened and the law upheld in every way. But, if there weren't any witnesses, well, who on earth would believe whatever attempt at a story they come out with? I certainly won't, after personally being a victim of wrong-doing by the West Mercia Police force!

Big man, you will be sadly missed and my only hope now is that justice is served for you. Thanks for all the memories. If only they had players that scored goals like yours down at Villa Park these days! RIP :flag:

I've read a Mirror article that says he was having an argument with his Dad and that someone else rang the police (doesn't state whether the other person was in the house or could hear from somewhere else).  Dalian went outside to them and whatever happened during that time resulted in him being tasered.  So one would hope that the Dad may be a witness. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Absolutely sickening. Him being a Villa legend doesn't come in to it. An unarmed man, and the police use the taser because he mvoed towards them.

It should be a last resort but they were used nearly 11,000 times last year. Something has to change.

• Like 2

From his Father:

"He was in a real state.

“I don’t know if he was drunk or on drugs but he was very agitated and his mind was upset.

"The last thing he said to me was ‘don’t move’ when the police came to the door.

“He was threatening and very upset. I didn’t call the police but someone else did.

'He got tasered in the street outside in the road. I didn't see him but I saw a flash. I haven't had any sleep and cannot take it in. The police are dealing with this now.'

Edited by Tom13

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Absolutely sickening. Him being a Villa legend doesn't come in to it. An unarmed man, and the police use the taser because he mvoed towards them.

It should be a last resort but they were used nearly 11,000 times last year. Something has to change.

They didn't know he was unarmed. If they repeatedly asked him to stop but he kept moving towards them, then they responded appropriately. 

• Like 2

Â