Dalian Atkinson

Pongotastic

33 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

This is going to be big news, far beyond football.

I'm not sure tbh, its already known these things can happen with taser's but they're 'safer' than guns. I've no idea of the circumstances but I'd assume he was refusing the police commands to calm down or stop being aggressive then there are not many safer, effective, alternatives.

I think they should place figures on the pitch at roughly all the points he took players on during that run against Wimbledon and get the current players to attempt a recreation of the run and finish, either as part of the warm up or at half time.

Neighbour claims police Tasered footballer three times

A neighbour claims police Tasered footballer Dalian Atkinson three times before he died.

The woman, who said she has know the family for years but didn’t want to be named, said that the tragedy was “horrible”.

She said: “Dalian had a weak heart and kidney failure.

“They tasered him three times - of course that was going to kill him, it’s horrible and disgusting.”

Disgusting

My bloods boiling, if this is true they should be absolutely ashamed of themselves

1 hour ago, AValon said:

I am in total shock! Dalian was one of my favourite Villa players of his time and this is just awful news.

hot drinks and blankets my friend. Psychological shock is very real. Haven't done a damn thing here for the last couple of hours. kind of in a daze. What a sad day.

Footballer was 'trying to kick in door of dad's home' before police arrived

Dalian Atkinson was reportedly trying to kick in the door of his dad’s home before police were called this morning.

Neighbours say the former premiership striker’s 85-year-old dad had barricaded himself inside the Telford home, where he grew up, and was claiming he was homeless.

A neighbour, who didn’t want to be named, said: “I found out what had happened last night, when I heard the commotion outside - it was frightening.

Dalian Atkinson had reportedly been banging on his dad's door before police were called

“There was a lot of banging and shouting, and doors being kicked in.

“Dalian was shouting about being homeless, he wanted his dad to let him in - but his dad wouldn’t so he was kicking the door.

“I have no idea why, or what they were fighting about.

“Then someone phoned the police, and they came - I don’t know exactly what happened after that, but it’s very tragic.

PA

Ernest Atkinson had reportedly barricaded himself inside the house while Dalian shouted in the street, neighbours say

“I’ve known Dalian since he was a baby.

“Dalian is a lovely lad - he was always a very nice boy and very nice to talk to.

“His mum died some years ago, and he went away when he was young to do his training as a footballer - he was very successful.”

Click

FFS why taser the bloke over something like this????

19 minutes ago, Genie said:

I'm not sure tbh, its already known these things can happen with taser's but they're 'safer' than guns. I've no idea of the circumstances but I'd assume he was refusing the police commands to calm down or stop being aggressive then there are not many safer, effective, alternatives.

Reports say that he was stumbling and staggering.  His father says he seemed to be intoxicated.  The questions will be about whether the use of weapons was justified in the situation, given the guidelines for the use of this weapon, mentioned here:

The National Police Chiefs' Council - which represents senior police - say that "officers who are trained and equipped with Taser must decide on the most reasonable and necessary use of force in the circumstances.

"The level of force used must be proportionate to achieve the objective and officers are individually accountable in law for the amount of force they use on a person," they say.

Refusing police commands is not a justification for using a potentially (and in this case actually) lethal weapon.  Police deal every day with unreasonable, intoxicated people who don't immediately respond to instructions, without the use of weapons.

Presumably the investigation will also be mindful of the fact that tasers are three times as likely to be used against black people (same article), and will ask if this was a factor in the weapon being used in this case.

• Like 1

I'm still a bit gobsmacked by the circumstances...everything really. 

I'm sorry if somebody has already mentioned this, but can we ask the club to do something to honour him? More than a minute of applause, I mean. Can we retire the #10 shirt - even if it's just for the year? 

The outpouring of passion for him has been immense. We need to remember proper, committed, talented, winners like him. 

11 minutes ago, peterms said:

Reports say that he was stumbling and staggering.  His father says he seemed to be intoxicated.  The questions will be about whether the use of weapons was justified in the situation, given the guidelines for the use of this weapon, mentioned here:

Refusing police commands is not a justification for using a potentially (and in this case actually) lethal weapon.  Police deal every day with unreasonable, intoxicated people who don't immediately respond to instructions, without the use of weapons.

Presumably the investigation will also be mindful of the fact that tasers are three times as likely to be used against black people (same article), and will ask if this was a factor in the weapon being used in this case.

I was about to say, if he was tasered for being intoxicated I think we all would have been tasered at least 10 times in our life. :angry:

Police (perhaps) using unneccessary force, and killing a black man with mental issues. People (and the media) will inevitably draw comparisons with what's been happening in the USA. 

• Like 1

Â