Dalian Atkinson

Pongotastic

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

It was his last minute goals in BOTH legs of that famous semi against Tranmere that took us to Wembley. In the final he was outstanding. Deano and Dalian are my favourite strike force ever to grace the claret and blue.

Can't believe this...

What a 2nd leg that was.

The man on his day was a wonderful player. Yes Wembley and Selhurt Park but the Semi against Tranmere is what gives me goosebumps that last minute header I have never lost it like that on the Holte before my glasses flew off Christ knows how I found them to watch extra time and pens!!! Also his 2 goals at Hillsborough in a 2-0 away win were awesome too!  Oh and bagging in Big Rons first game at the same venue!  Fantastic memories feels like a family member has died :(

• Like 2

One of my favourite players. I wanted to call my first born Dalian, but the Mrs overruled me.

A big game player, always started the season well, good in cup competitions and against the likes of Man Utd, but struggled to motivate himself for run of the mill league games if we weren't at the top of the table. Iirc he scored a hat-trick for Ipswich against Boro right at the end of the 87-88 season, without which Villa wouldn't have won promotion

3 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

What a 2nd leg that was.

It certainly was.  Could not be there but watched in the Cardiac Intensive Care unit at St George's hospital, with my father-in-law who had had a heart transplant 2 weeks earlier.  Not sure how he coped.

RIP Dalian

• Like 1

Everything about this is so sad.  A wonderful footballer who played the game with great joy and skill.  The circumstances of his death sound just awful, it is so hard to imagine the player I remember ever needing to be treated the way he has been.

• Like 1

The law has to be a starting point here.

If it has been authorised by Parliament that tasers are permissible to be used to restrain people, then the police cannot be held accountable when things go wrong.

Tasers need to be abolished but that needs to come from Parliament.

Perhaps this high profile case will draw attention to the issue.

• Like 1

Â