Mile Jedinak

Demitri_C

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

our 2nd best centre back according to Bruce crocked for nearly half a season so far.

There’s a problem if he is our 2nd best centre back, he’s a defensive midfielder for me and a very good one at that. Yes, he is getting on a bit for a footballer but I think he has served us well, particularly in derbies 

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

There’s a problem if he is our 2nd best centre back, he’s a defensive midfielder for me and a very good one at that. Yes, he is getting on a bit for a footballer but I think he has served us well, particularly in derbies 

Not arguing that he is decent enough midfielder,  but his injury record is dire. I would actually prefer him to Bree at CB and put Bree at RB but this is yet another option we don't have.

6 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Not arguing that he is decent enough midfielder,  but his injury record is dire. I would actually prefer him to Bree at CB and put Bree at RB but this is yet another option we don't have.

Yes, his injury record is poor but that’s part and parcel of football, he’s 34 years old now, he’s not getting any younger. Bree will be a good player in a couple, I see potential in him, it’s why we brought to the club, it’s just taken him a while to settle in

• Like 1

Was a very good player for us for two years, and while expensive, had a huge hand in the good results we got. Also very much the right sort of character after the relegation season.

All that being said, it seems unlikely he has much of a future here and he is very expensive in wages, so I'm sure the club would say a fond goodbye if a team in China or Australia is interested in January. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

There's no place in a Dean Smith squad for a player in his mid 30s who treats the ball as if it were a grenade. 

If Smith can't fit one of or if not the best CDM in the Championship into his 'system' you have to question what he's actually trying to achieve. You build a game plan around your best players and what you have available, not the other way around. Truly baffling. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I can't imagine a situation where anyone wanting to play football would build a team around Jedi. He has his uses but even at this level a cdm tends to be more mobile and better on the floor than they had to be 5 years ago. He kept his position last year in a more defensive setup where his lack of mobility and passing were covered by others. If we're thinking about playing him I'd rather we played an extra centre half and played a real 352.

42 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

If Smith can't fit one of or if not the best CDM in the Championship into his 'system' you have to question what he's actually trying to achieve. You build a game plan around your best players and what you have available, not the other way around. Truly baffling. 

I’d be more inclined to question Dean Smith if he compromised his football ideals to fit Mile Jedinak. 

• Like 1

We can all appreciate the beautiful game but sometimes there's just a certain primeval enjoyment in seeing someone get physically bested.
The blues game was probably one of my favourite individual performances just for pure strength and desire.

He was good, he was very good at times, but the time has come to move on.
I said at the time but a 3 year deal was madness and knew that when he went into that 3rd year we were basically going to be giving him a free wage. It was a poor decision, one of many.

3 hours ago, Michael118 said:

The traffic in Sheffield can be a nightmare cant it!

Edited by Nigel

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

He wi be sold in Jan I would imagine.  40k wages off the books certainly helps with ffp

I can't see anyone wanting to buy him - he's a 34 year old who is most likely in his last season of football. Certainly I wouldn't imagine we'd get a fee and his wages are such that any club taking him off us would want a contribution I'd have thought. The only place I can see him going is Australia and I can't see an Aussie club having the ability to pay him £40k a week. He's started to pick up more and more injuries and I think he'll sit here on the £40k, offer us an option and remain professional until the end of the season when he'll retire.

7 hours ago, Michael118 said:

I think you are correct, I can’t name a better out and out CDM in this division, I struggle to understand why he isn’t in the team. He’s a vital player for us in my opinion, his work goes unnoticed. When he doesn’t play, we don’t half miss him, yes, he is getting on a bit now but that is all the more reason to play him. We function better as a team with him in it, yes, he’s not technically the most gifted but he’s great in the air and adds a physical presence 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think you are correct, I can’t name a better out and out CDM in this division, I struggle to understand why he isn’t in the team. He’s a vital player for us in my opinion, his work goes unnoticed. When he doesn’t play, we don’t half miss him, yes, he is getting on a bit now but that is all the more reason to play him. We function better as a team with him in it, yes, he’s not technically the most gifted but he’s great in the air and adds a physical presence 

He isn’t in the team because he is slow and no good on the ball. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

He isn’t in the team because he is slow and no good on the ball. 

Yes, he is slow but I don’t think pace is vital for CDM especially in this league, he reads the game quite well and intercepts situations, we miss him when he doesn’t play. He’s played and scored for Australia at the 2018 World Cup, he’s better than you or I on the ball, that’s for sure

Â