Mile Jedinak

Demitri_C

On 28/10/2018 at 09:44, villan-scott said:

We haven’t exactly been rock solid with him in the team either have we?

I’d rather adapt without him with a new possession based style, than chuck him back in as a quick fix, which hasn’t really worked in the past either. 

I think he’s had his day here. 

true, but then we will have to get used to a dip in results during this transition period.....or wait until Jan where we can get defenders who can cope

1 hour ago, TRO said:

true, but then we will have to get used to a dip in results during this transition period.....or wait until Jan where we can get defenders who can cope

Getting some defenders would be a start, or bringing a few back from loans if that's even possible....

Jedinak is not going to be a player for the future is he? I can only see him getting a start as part of the 2 in a 4-2-3-1, not sure he's mobile enough to play in front of a 4 as a screen on his own. He's not a center back either. 

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

Getting some defenders would be a start, or bringing a few back from loans if that's even possible....

Jedinak is not going to be a player for the future is he? I can only see him getting a start as part of the 2 in a 4-2-3-1, not sure he's mobile enough to play in front of a 4 as a screen on his own. He's not a center back either. 

I will be very surprised if he is in Deans thinking

I have always know why he is being used, even if I think the centre halves should be better equipped that we shouldn't need to use him.

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

like Hutton....old father time catches up, with these older players.

He is slow and hasn't got the feet to get out of trouble or work the ball.....but when teams go long against us, we struggle with the aerial balls....hence his inclusion.

in other words we fix one problem and create another.

• Like 2

On 28/10/2018 at 09:22, KHV said:

Quite telling Swansea had 15 attempts, Norwich had 10 attempts and QPR had 16 attempts. We have allowed 41 shots at our goal in 3 games. That's simply unacceptable, we are wide open all of the time. I think he needs to come back in and I couldn't give two shits if his distribution isn't great.

I'm not sure i would have used the word unacceptable under the circumstances.....but i would use the word concerned.

Whelan protects the back 4 at least as good as Jedinak, and all of Whelan, Hourihane and BB pass the ball better.  

Barring an injury crisis i simply don't see Smith starting any games with Jedinak, and rightfully so imo. 

2 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Never mind protecting the back 4 I would pick him over chester at CB at the moment

Haha.....you may have a point....really not sure about that though.

5 hours ago, av1 said:

Whelan protects the back 4 at least as good as Jedinak, and all of Whelan, Hourihane and BB pass the ball better.  

Barring an injury crisis i simply don't see Smith starting any games with Jedinak, and rightfully so imo. 

I am not opposed to protecting the back 4.....but to the degree we have had to do it over the last few years, concerns me.

I also think the players we have used to do it have been limited and subsequently keep changing them to gain things but in doing so lose attributes too.

It does seem funny ( pattern wise)that we seem to have developed quite a few individual errors at Centre back lately.

• Elphick has had his fair share, but now playing well at Hull, I understand.
  • Mile Himself has had his fair share.
  • Chester is starting to catch up with a few.
  • JT had one or two.....QPR at home, Fulham at Wembley......don't want to criticise too much here as I thought he was overall great for us.

I haven't been comfortable with this position in out team for some time.

Edited by TRO

57 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am not opposed to protecting the back 4.....but to the degree we have had to do it over the last few years, concerns me.

I also think the players we have used to do it have been limited and subsequently keep changing them to gain things but in doing so lose attributes too.

That was Bruce fault. Was many many games when we should dominate the ball and he gave opposition the iniative 

So many games in this league we dont need a defensive midfielder. Probably 10 games a season

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

That was Bruce fault. Was many many games when we should dominate the ball and he gave opposition the iniative 

So many games in this league we dont need a defensive midfielder. Probably 10 games a season

Can't argue with that.

but someone has to "turn the ball over"

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Can't argue with that.

but someone has to "turn the ball over"

In the really successful teams, the players high up the pitch are capable of doing this. And it's not really a difficult skill, it's pretty simple in my opinion. You put players under pressure by closing down their space quickly and they will (with a few exceptions) make the wrong decision. You let them pass the ball with 20 yards of space and they will more than likely find a man. Now ask them to try and make the same pass with players in their face and the task becomes more difficult. We have been too passive for the past few years. I hope this changes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

In the really successful teams, the players high up the pitch are capable of doing this. And it's not really a difficult skill, it's pretty simple in my opinion. You put players under pressure by closing down their space quickly and they will (with a few exceptions) make the wrong decision. You let them pass the ball with 20 yards of space and they will more than likely find a man. Now ask them to try and make the same pass with players in their face and the task becomes more difficult. We have been too passive for the past few years. I hope this changes.

I agree

Derby were doing it in spells tonight against Chelsea at the bridge.....now that's what i call courageous....like you say ,hope we do, in time.

I think that some of the criticism of Mile is a bit harsh. He was played out of position by our former manager and was willing to do the job he was asked to do for us although he probably felt uncomfortable in doing it. He should always have been an occasional emergency central defender rather than the first choice one that he became.

He didn't become the new Bobby Moore in this role which no doubt was not a shock to either him or to too many of us. He's not going to become any faster around the pitch than he has been since his arrival at Villa Park and his ball distribution is also unlikely to dramatically improve but he still offers us something when he pulls on a Villa shirt.

Both he and Whelan know their limitations as do we. They both give 100% and in Mile's case offers decent protection in front of our defence, an aerial presence up front and at the back along with a willingness to make some solid challenges in the middle. 

I think that at times in recent games we may have missed his tenacity and experience on the field. I still think that he can do an effective job for us in the future and if Dean starts him or brings him off the bench then he is entitled to and I'm sure he will get our full support. 

• Like 2

Not sure if he still has the legs but on his day in a defensive midfield role he can be very effective. But he is better when we are compact and looking to hit teams on the break  Wolves home being a good example. If we are taking the game to the opposition and he is left a little isolated then he gets ripped apart by pacey players. 

I’m a nutshell I think he would suits against better opposition where we have to try and keep it tight but will struggle against weaker teams when the game becomes open.

Â