Mile Jedinak

Demitri_C

I don't get this idea that he's a negative player, or that we are more negative with him on the pitch. His sheer presence alone gives the lads in front of him the freedom to go and create and the defence behind him the confidence to defend without feeling rushed. He is the foundation upon which our best performances are built. 

Warrior class. 

34 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't get this idea that he's a negative player, or that we are more negative with him on the pitch. His sheer presence alone gives the lads in front of him the freedom to go and create and the defence behind him the confidence to defend without feeling rushed. He is the foundation upon which our best performances are built. 

Warrior class. 

I would agree with that. Especially in games that are more physical. 

He was just behind Grealish for MOTM for me today. Immense. I would still bring back BB for the Fulham game though as they will play everything on the floor and won't rely on the second ball as much as Blues.

• Like 1

Starting next Saturday we have 3 games in 7 days, 6 days off followed again by 3 games in 7 days. That's 6 games in less than 3 weeks. We will need both Mile & Thor in CDM during that time. 

I for one was also really happy that Whelan was gently re-introduced today. He is a player who lost form/gone stale probably due to being overplayed. A fresh Whelan is a handy option to have around if we need him.

Edited by TheAuthority

9 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Warrior class. 

It's a myth.

Bjarnasson got brought in when we suddenly put in a couple of good attacking performances. As well as Bjarnasson has done, a lot of people made this connection that Bjarnasson = attacking football and Whelan/Jedinak = Negative football.

It's not true. We are a better team with Jedinak in it and always have been.

• Like 3

Jedi plays, we win.

Going against the grain but he was actually my motm yesterday. Jack was brilliant but the catalyst for everything was the amount of times we won the ball in our own half, and won it well. We were always on the front foot, always getting the ball into Blues half from the restart. Jedi was immense, he usually is when he plays CDM. Unbeatable.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's a myth.

Bjarnasson got brought in when we suddenly put in a couple of good attacking performances. As well as Bjarnasson has done, a lot of people made this connection that Bjarnasson = attacking football and Whelan/Jedinak = Negative football.

It's not true. We are a better team with Jedinak in it and always have been.

The comments when he was named on the official FB page were bananas. One said why change a team that won 6 straight. I had to point out he played the first 2 of those which he conceded he didn't realise. 

I struggle to watch whole games atm with time difference. The extended highlights I've seen of Bjarnasson he stands people up which is good but they'll often run past him. Not seen him stick the boot in or making any crunching tackles. I called for Jedinak if fit for this game and Bruce got it absolutely right. 

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

The comments when he was named on the official FB page were bananas. One said why change a team that won 6 straight. I had to point out he played the first 2 of those which he conceded he didn't realise. 

I struggle to watch whole games atm with time difference. The extended highlights I've seen of Bjarnasson he stands people up which is good but they'll often run past him. Not seen him stick the boot in or making any crunching tackles. I called for Jedinak if fit for this game and Bruce got it absolutely right. 

Bjarnasson has done well. I can understand why people wanted to keep him in.

But like I said people seemed to be forgetting that Jedinak/Whelan had played all season in games where we won convincingly. The way people were talking was as if we hadn't won a game all season until Bjarnasson started playing.

BB performed well, and it's good to have options. Certain games he could be the right player to use. But Jedinak is the better player by a mile and when he's fit I think he's a clear first choice.

• Like 1

Jedi was an absolute beast yesterday!

I think there will be games that will suit BB better than Jedi, and vice versa. 

Yesterday was a battle, and Jedi is much better suited to that. 

But games against "lesser" (that isn't a derby game) opposition I'd rather BB play for his energy and better ball retention. 

Edited by PieFacE

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

Jedi was an absolute beast yesterday!

I think there will be games that will suit BB better than Jedi, and vice versa. 

Yesterday was a battle, and Jedi is much better suited to that. 

But games against "lesser" (that isn't a derby game) opposition I'd rather BB play for his energy and better ball retention. 

I agree that there will be times when BB is a better option. But I don't think it will be many.

Also I don't think BB retains the ball better than Jedinak (although looking at our PA% yesterday our whole team's is through the floor :crylaugh: GUess that's a reflection on the type of game it was)

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I agree that there will be times when BB is a better option. But I don't think it will be many.

Also I don't think BB retains the ball better than Jedinak (although looking at our PA% yesterday our whole team's is through the floor :crylaugh: GUess that's a reflection on the type of game it was)

Well it's also Jedi's fitness too. I don't really trust Jedi to play 3 games back to back anymore. He's better kept reserved for games where he's needed like yesterday.

• Like 1

How can we drop jedinak after that game? But Fulham have a lot of pace in their side i think id prefer bjarnasson for this one. They are not as phyiscal as blose so I think Jedinak could come on later on in the game.

Grealish was sent off last year unfairly in my view lets hope he remembers that and puts in another superb performance 

Jedi is great in the air but his timing is outstanding. The amount of tackles he won on the ground yesterday was immense. Jack was incredible yesterday but Jedi was my motm. Him, Terry, Chester and Hutton beat Blues at their game and allowed Jack to rip them apart.

Mile is better than Thor but I think we need to use both of them in the run in. Jedinak should always be first option though.

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think against teams that sit deeper BB will be the better option as he pushes forward more than Jed. 

Against more physically teams or teams that try to press then Jed is your man! 

It was a strategic move , a bit hard On Birkir, but needed.....well done Steve Bruce.

I had been having a bit of a moan of how many aerial balls we were losing out on in previous games.....But Jed got em all, in this game made a huge difference in the aspect of relieving pressure as opposed to exerting pressure.

Â