James Chester

KJT123

4 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

He starts and Elphick is on the bench. I'd imagine if he was on the verge of a move he would not be getting time that suggests he is in the managers plans for the upcoming season.

Move is off according to that Nixon itk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I do recall that but then Terry got exposed multiple times for pace last season and was horrific in the playoff final where time and time again he got annihilated. Chester is definitely the best defender we've had in the Championship. 

No defender, or player is infallible, you can always find examples of even the best defenders getting done by seemingly average opponents, every dog has his day and all that. 

22 hours ago, andym said:

Can we stop with the cliche that the Championship is this tough league where you need physical size to be effective, that somehow it has this unique rough style that isn't present in the Premier League, and therefore Chester is limited and easily replaceable.

Players in the Premier League are physically just as strong and fast as players in the Championship, they are fitter and they think the game twice as fast. 

Chester is one of the few we have who could cope in the Premier League (albeit he's a bottom half standard player at best), and that means he's easily good enough for us, and is definitely one of the top CBs in this division. We'd be mad to think we can just sell him and easily replace him.

Chester is 5' 11.....many teams in the championship play aerial balls in to the box as opposed to the premiership teams who tend to play more expansively and work the ball through defences.

I do think in key positions like centre half you need to have players physically equipped to cope with that challenge, which is common place in our league.

Imo if you play Chester, you need a big ally to deal with the aerial assault.

Chester and Terry are fine centre halves, but are not particularly dominant in the air,in the same way Laursen was......this was particularly illustrated when we played QPR an Matt Smith with his big frame dominated our two.

i think you are wrong.....there is a distinct physically applied difference in the two divisions and to compound the problem the referees in the championship seem to accept a more physical approach too.

i have no beef with you second paragraph, but that is not being disputed.

your final paragraph, is what i agree with, better suited to he prem, for the very reason I have mentioned.

last season, we played Jed, for a reason.....to protect the back two in the centre, in the main for his aerial ability.....that means we lose a midfielder, because three are doing a two man job.

we had a good season, despite just missing out and Chester and Terry did an awful lot right.

I am just highlighting a weakness i thought we had watching us through last season at home, away we probably got bombarded more.....i just thought aerially, wecould have done better.

21 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I do recall that but then Terry got exposed multiple times for pace last season and was horrific in the playoff final where time and time again he got annihilated. Chester is definitely the best defender we've had in the Championship. 

I agree.

but we can't be accepting those things you mention and say but everything is alright and we have the best in the championship.....its simply not so, despite the same players having very good moments......its consistency of performance that gets teams promoted.

JT was beaten too easily too by a young QPR midfielder, for their first goal......these things cannot be just swept under the carpet.

my point is........at least one CB has to be aerially dominant....i.e McNaught and Evans.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Chester is 5' 11.....many teams in the championship play aerial balls in to the box as opposed to the premiership teams who tend to play more expansively and work the ball through defences.

I do think in key positions like centre half you need to have players physically equipped to cope with that challenge, which is common place in our league.

Imo if you play Chester, you need a big ally to deal with the aerial assault.

Chester and Terry are fine centre halves, but are not particularly dominant in the air,in the same way Laursen was......this was particularly illustrated when we played QPR an Matt Smith with his big frame dominated our two.

i think you are wrong.....there is a distinct physically applied difference in the two divisions and to compound the problem the referees in the championship seem to accept a more physical approach too.

i have no beef with you second paragraph, but that is not being disputed.

your final paragraph, is what i agree with, better suited to he prem, for the very reason I have mentioned.

last season, we played Jed, for a reason.....to protect the back two in the centre, in the main for his aerial ability.....that means we lose a midfielder, because three are doing a two man job.

we had a good season, despite just missing out and Chester and Terry did an awful lot right.

I am just highlighting a weakness i thought we had watching us through last season at home, away we probably got bombarded more.....i just thought aerially, wecould have done better.

We conceded just 6 goals from headers all season. Jedinak only started half the games as well. Bruce played him because he was obsessed with 'experience' and he fell into the trap of still believing this league is all about scrapping your way to success - its not, its about speed and movement - both of players and the ball. Everyone goes on about Cardiff as though they hoofed their way to promotion - they won games because they filled their team with pace and energy, they got in the face of their opposition for 90 minutes. We were too old and slow and that is what cost us too many times last season.

As for the physicality argument between the two leagues - Lukaku, Giroud, Glenn Murray, Chris Wood, even the likes of Kane, Morata and Lacazette. Big, strong guys, just as physical as Championship strikers yet better footballers and therefore tougher to deal with.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, andym said:

We conceded just 6 goals from headers all season. Jedinak only started half the games as well. Bruce played him because he was obsessed with 'experience' and he fell into the trap of still believing this league is all about scrapping your way to success - its not, its about speed and movement - both of players and the ball. Everyone goes on about Cardiff as though they hoofed their way to promotion - they won games because they filled their team with pace and energy, they got in the face of their opposition for 90 minutes. We were too old and slow and that is what cost us too many times last season.

As for the physicality argument between the two leagues - Lukaku, Giroud, Glenn Murray, Chris Wood, even the likes of Kane, Morata and Lacazette. Big, strong guys, just as physical as Championship strikers yet better footballers and therefore tougher to deal with.

Yeah, I get all that.

but this league in the main is still all about scrapping ......There was a couple of teams that displayed pace and movement ,Wolves being one of them......but in the main, I agree with you its something that is required. The rest of the league is a battle.

I don't know how many league goals we conceded from headers, I am just going by watching every game at home how often we seemed to struggle with aerial balls and JC had difficulty in certain games with his height....Its not just conceding direct headers though is it....Its the carnage it creates for the knock downs and a goal for the opposition becomes a lottery.....I want to see a Laursen or McNaught approach where the ball is belted back up field by powerful dominant CB's.......(or at least One) and we can relaunch our attacks.

Cardiff, did not hoof their way to promotion, but they had dogs of war in key strategic positions like Bamba and Morrison and yes they had pace and power upfront in Mendez-Laing and Zohore.....They do have pace, but they can scrap too.

Well, Chris Wood and Glenn Murray progressed from the championship, so there is an indication that it works and yes they are better footballers than say our rendition of the past in of Gestede.

I am not for one minute saying its all got to be hustle and bustle.....There has to be a blend

Edited by TRO

Why would be want to go to Stoke now? Just a sideways move now at best isn't it? Perhaps we should make them a counter offer for Shawcross now.. 

Edited by John
  • Like 1

Wouldn’t be a guaranteed starter there either, they have Shawcross & Martins Indi. Can’t see the point in him moving, from his POV at least. We need him alongside a quality addition at CB. Most concerned about defence & GK this season and Bruce’s insistence on bloody 532!!

Edited by Jas10

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yep of those fools had bid 10m he would be their player now. Like apurs they shot themselves in the foot trying to take advantage of us.

Delighted

You have a purse that shoots you in the foot? Sounds fancy.

• Haha 2

Â