James Chester

KJT123

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That's basically everyone's opinion.

For some bizarre reason Zatman doesn't think he's very good. And he's not even English ;) 

I think he's ok ... I don't think he's as good as a lot of people on here seem to think he is , he's too slow , and often makes the wrong choice tackling too far up the pitch , not making it and thus leaving us exposed 

but playing every min and giving his all I can't fault him for so I'd never call him rubbish

• Like 4

In my opinion would be as big a loss to the team as Grealish. Just shaded Jack as player of the season and Villa should not sell him shy of 15m.

31 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Going back to the first page of this is interesting reading too. Just goes to show how little people really know about basically anyone we're linked to ever. 

Even the pretend ITKs ;) 

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I think he's ok ... I don't think he's as good as a lot of people on here seem to think he is , he's too slow , and often makes the wrong choice tackling too far up the pitch , not making it and thus leaving us exposed 

but playing every min and giving his all I can't fault him for so I'd never call him rubbish

Basically this.  He's solid enough but makes poor decisions fairly regularly.  However, his tackling is superb so he also bails us out of tricky situations too.

Would be a big loss given how frail our defence seemingly is now.

58 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Mawson, Jansson even Martins Indi I would have ahead at moment plus Federico Fernandez and Dawson if fit

Dawson? You've got to be taking the piss. 

Chester is better than all of them. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That's basically everyone's opinion.

For some bizarre reason Zatman doesn't think he's very good. And he's not even English ;) 

Everyone’s different, if he was that good, Man Utd wouldn’t have let him leave

I appreciate his good bits and am aware of his not so good bits, I too do not think he is as good as some make out.....but it depends what you look for.....He doesn't dominate in the air enough for me and at this level, its important because teams resort to the aerial ball in to the box.....its also fashionable with set pieces, which was a feature of this World cup....where both boxes it was crucial.

For me Football has evolved and tall powerful centre Halves and Goal Keepers appear to be in Vogue.

He gets good tackles in so his timing is good, but he can equally get caught up with his own feet when an opponent gets in his face.....I have seen him dither at times, it doesn't send out a good message.

He lacks pace too, so tends to sit deep to avoid getting caught out on the counter.

I like his loyalty and organisational skills, but If was gifted enough to play, he would be a centre half I would look forward to playing.

I will not be broken hearted if he goes, but it all depends on who replaces him as to my overall view......I would have swapped him for Kyle Bartley or Pontus Janssen.....or Bamba and Morrison.

I have a pre -requisite for a centre half and Chester does not exactly fit it.....but that does not make him bad, I think he is just ok not outstanding for me.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Nobody is saying he’s good enough to be playing for Man Utd ffs ?

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

or Albion and Hull.....but every player moves for a reason that doesn't exactly make them bad players.

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I didn’t say anyone did but I do think praise in this thread is a bit OTT

You said if he was that good then Man utd wouldn't have let him go. Nobody is saying he is "that good"

What people are saying is he's one of the best defenders in the Championship. Which he is.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I didn’t say anyone did but I do think praise in this thread is a bit OTT

Not being funny SGC, but i'm not sure you should be commenting on anybody else being OTT ? You have been known to get quite carried away with your excitement over certain players ?

Â