Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

What about all the goals he creates as well?

If scoring goals and creating goals year after year isn't enough for a team that has Gestede as it's current main striker then the world just doesn't make sense to me anymore. 

Why haven't Fulham been challenging for promotion then? Oh they have a weird owner, poor defence and abysmal midfield...remind you of anyone.

We need work all over the pitch. Can't really see the midfield in this state creating many chances for the strikers especially with lack of width.

McCormack just strikes me as a luxury player and that does seem to be the view of many Fulham fans who watch him every week.

I'd prefer Bamford but hey if we get him on loan then suddenly we have pretty good options upfront at least.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

This has been answered several times already. We struggled to get our primary targets, and have now had to move to this level of target out of necessity.

Source ?  Sounds like pure speculation to me.

Now if I understand it, one argument from some of those who are feeling very positive has been that we have been working on deals, they take time, they are complicated. It is of course true that deals can take time.

Yet it appears that we have in this case simply lodged a bid at a late stage.

I think it is a very fair question to ask why we have lodged this bid only now, if that is indeed the case.  He isn't an unknown.  It wasn't unclear whether he was likely to leave.  I would love to know whether he is a first, or second choice, and if so whether we really have only just bid (or not), or whether he is indeed a 'fallback', with other targets having fallen through - in which case I'd be very interested why they have fallen through leaving us in a position where we are on to fallback guys, and, indeed , who is our fallback if this doesn't come off.

I'd much prefer  to think he is a first choice, and the news emerging is not representative of our involvement which has been more protracted.  Although then I'd be interested why we were not considered as attractive as Norwich, should he go there.

Whichever way tound, its a little intriguing (as of course some transfer dealings often are)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Why haven't Fulham been challenging for promotion then? Oh they have a weird owner, poor defence and abysmal midfield...remind you of anyone.

We need work all over the pitch. Can't really see the midfield in this state creating many chances for the strikers especially with lack of width.

McCormack just strikes me as a luxury player and that does seem to be the view of many Fulham fans who watch him every week.

I'd prefer Bamford but hey if we get him on loan then suddenly we have pretty good options upfront at least.

You might be right, but either way there is nothing to moan about as there is nothing suggesting we are not trying to address the other areas. As a matter of fact it would appear to be quite the opposite, and articles over the last couple of days suggest as much.

You could make the argument that Fulham might have been relegated twice over if they did not have him.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

3 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Source ?  Sounds like pure speculation to me.

Now if I understand it, one argument from some of those who are feeling very positive has been that we have been working on deals, they take time, they are complicated. It is of course true that deals can take time.

Yet it appears that we have in this case simply lodged a bid at a late stage.

I think it is a very fair question to ask why we have lodged this bid only now, if that is indeed the case.  He isn't an unknown.  It wasn't unclear whether he was likely to leave.  I would love to know whether he is a first, or second choice, and if so whether we really have only just bid (or not), or whether he is indeed a 'fallback', with other targets having fallen through - in which case I'd be very interested why they have fallen through leaving us in a position where we are on to fallback guys, and, indeed , who is our fallback if this doesn't come off.

I'd much prefer  to think he is a first choice, and the news emerging is not representative of our involvement which has been more protracted.  Although then I'd be interested why we were not considered as attractive as Norwich, should he go there.

Whichever way tound, its a little intriguing (as of course some transfer dealings often are)

Absolutely not speculation. I will find the source for you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

McCormack is one player. What do you expect him to do in midfield and defence? Or how the club is run? That's ridiculous. You say we need work all over, we do. Signing someone who scores and creates is part of that surely. It doesn't mean we then ignore everything else. You said what he does isn't enough, what more can he do as a striker?

Surely you can see we can sign him and target other important areas. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

McCormack is one player. What do you expect him to do in midfield and defence? Or how the club is run? That's ridiculous. You say we need work all over, we do. Signing someone who scores and creates is part of that surely. It doesn't mean we then ignore everything else. You said what he does isn't enough, what more can he do as a striker?

Surely you can see we can sign him and target other important areas. 

You articulated what I was trying to say to him much better. lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I really can't see Gestede scoring anywhere near 20 goals which is what we need.

If we had players that could cross the ball he would score 20 no problem the issue is we don't!  We play it upto him with his back to goal he is not that type of forward I am afraid.  

• Like 2

Sometimes having a limited striker can affect rest of the team, we knew Bent's goal tally would tick over nicely throughout the season but there were plenty of games when he'd only touch the ball 7-8 times and we'd create very little as a result.

I prefer strikers who have pace and mobility and can stretch teams and always be in the game rather than 6 yard goal hangers...Gabby used to do that before his semi retirement, Benteke was magnificent at it and while Ayew dosen't have that pace and can drift out of games he's very good on the ball.

Would prefer a more rounded striker to complement Ayew. We shall see. Maybe I've got it wrong but McCormack dosen't even play much for Scotland and they are rubbish, it's got an air of Jordan Rhodes about it to me.

2 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

If we had players that could cross the ball he would score 20 no problem the issue is we don't!  We play it upto him with his back to goal he is not that type of forward I am afraid.  

Exactly, i agree... it's akin to firing bullets with a bow & arrow, never gonna happen with our squad.

^ Errrr we do have players that can cross a ball, Armavi, Traore, Grealish?????? all wide players with an ability to cross a ball...... also if the worst came to the worst Bacuna and Sinclair....

15 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Don't want him.

Combination of things really. Yes he scores goals...but so will Gestede this season. 

Sometimes it's not enough.

McCormack's completely different to Gestede, he's a good all round player who not only scores but creates and unlike with Gestede you don't have to set up the team around him for him to be affective. Fulham and Leeds may not have had good league finishes with him in the side, but without him they'd be a lot worse off.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Well we've put a bid in. The money is there to spend on one player. Of course you're not happy though. 

We made loads of bids for players under Ellis that we had no intention of ever completing.  I will be delighted if we spend 12 million on a player.  Of course I will. Let's see if it happens first. I doubt it will happen. Is that ok?

1 hour ago, sexbelowsound said:

Potentially signing a striker for £12 million and not being much better off than under Randolph do not match.

I think that would have been clearer to see had we not bid that amount on a day when we're looking at bringing the same amount in. 

Trying to get McCormack in would have been better for us earlier in the window as we could have used him in our pre-season so he could get used to his new surroundings and hit the ground running when the season started. It's not like we're a team blessed with the art of hitting the back of the net.

If Xia thinks he will get Villa back into the Premier League without spending a decent amount on new players, in my opinion, he's going to have a rude awakening. That's not me saying he doesn't have money, it's me saying that Villa were terrible last season and balancing the books to try to get us back up will probably not work. But, I hope to be proved wrong. 

6 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

We made loads of bids for players under Ellis that we had no intention of ever completing.  I will be delighted if we spend 12 million on a player.  Of course I will. Let's see if it happens first. I doubt it will happen. Is that ok?

So you think we have no intention of signing him even though we've put a bid in? Haha I have no idea what's made you so certain about the owner. 

Â