Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

44 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

and still 10-1  on Sky bet to be top scorer next season

I think he'd be longer odds than that if he came here

Just wait till we nullify him with our pedestrian ineffective midfield 

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

My problem with this is why wait until a few days before the season starts to make an offer? It makes me worry that RDM had to sell before he could buy, which doesn't sort of fit in with a wealthy owner image, does it?

One other thing, I hope we don't stop at McCormack because we need someone to supply him with chances and that's been a problem of ours for quite some time. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, useless said:

Just seen an article from January that states that in his last 117 games he scored 60 and created 26, making him responsible for 86 goals, in that time period. This past season gone only Ince and someone else created more goals for team mates.

I got to be honest I haven't seen him play that often but those are some impressive stats. Remarkable in fact.

If we are going to stand any chance of promotion we are almost certainly going to need one player to bang in 20 goals plus and clearly McCormack is more than capable of that. He will need service though so if we can bring someone in who can provide that we could be well be onto a winner. As others have also stated a player with some movement, a bit of a natural instinct, and clever link up play could well lead to some of our existing players suddenly laying on chances and looking forward instead of the constant sideways and backwards passing due to a lack of movement up top.

It is a lot of money but the game has gone mad. Newcastle signed Dwight Gayle a player with 15 goals in the last three seasons for 10 mill. Based on that then 12-15 mill for McCormack looks like very good business.

As for his age he isn't a player that relies on pace from what I can gather so he should be good for a few years yet and if we get one great season out of him that gets us up then if we never got a penny back for him he would have been great value.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I think he'd be longer odds than that if he came here

Just wait till we nullify him with our pedestrian ineffective midfield 

I'm sure I saw somewhere that Gestede was also 10/1 to be top scorer in the league. What a joke those odds are. They need at least another couple of 0s.

3 minutes ago, villarocker said:

I'm sure I saw somewhere that Gestede was also 10/1 to be top scorer in the league. What a joke those odds are. They need at least another couple of 0s.

Seriously? Those odds are laughable at best.

4 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

If we are going to stand any chance of promotion we are almost certainly going to need one player to bang in 20 goals plus and clearly McCormack is more than capable of that. He will need service though so if we can bring someone in who can provide that we could be well be onto a winner. As others have also stated a player with some movement, and a bit of a natural instinct, and clever link  up play could well lead to some of our existing players suddenly laying on chances and looking forward instead of the constant sideways and backwards passing due to a lack of movement up top.

I honestly wouldn't mind Ikechi Anya, He is used to the league having played 100 games for watford, Very quick, can beat players and crosses well. Stats for goals/assists aren't great but he makes a difference in games

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, villarocker said:

My problem with this is why wait until a few days before the season starts to make an offer? It makes me worry that RDM had to sell before he could buy, which doesn't sort of fit in with a wealthy owner image, does it?

One other thing, I hope we don't stop at McCormack because we need someone to supply him with chances and that's been a problem of ours for quite some time. 

I agree. As I have said in the Tony Xia thread, I think something is very fishy and I don't believe we are financially much better off than under that **** Lerner.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

I agree. As I have said in the Tony Xia thread, I think something is very fishy and I don't believe we are financially much better off than under that **** Lerner.

Tbf he said in one of his first interviews that he wasn't looking to do the citeh-like money splashing thing but rather go for a more sustainable business model. Our wages/squad costs have been ridiculous for a long time so it's only sensible. I wouldn't worry too much about things like this unless evidence proves otherwise.

• Like 1

If this signing comes off can we all please just get on the Tony Xia fun wagon please? Yer don't need to like his tweets, or his suits, but signing Mcormack is a big, big deal in this league and really shows intent. 

11 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

6 minutes ago, useless said:

Except the club didn't want to sell either Gueye or Clark.

Exactly @useless. a part of my thinking is even that, by accounts Mcormack wasn't even at the top of the list, we got an unexpected 12 mill and said sod it let's sign an insurance policy whilst we wait for other targets! RDM has said on more than one occasion we don't need to sell to buy!

3 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Potentially signing a striker for £12 million and not being much better off than under Randolph do not match.

We signed Bent for much more to be fair, either way I agree with your sentiment.

Â