Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

26 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Well I don't mind admitting that I am surprised but happy for him in equal measure that he's made team of the week. Doug I would think that most fans would like to see him a few meters closer to the opposition goal- the guy clearly does have a poachers look about him- however if you say that's where he's played most of his career I'm not going to argue because I don't know. 

Just relax a little though I don't see anyone criticising him- only people offering suggestions/observations that's all. :-)

I'm perfectly relaxed. I was asking you a question bud. 

In my opinion, just because people want him to be a goal poacher and he 'looks like one' because of his stature that doesn't make it so. He plays a freer role because that's his best position. If you watch his goals and assists on YouTube you'll get a good enough feel for that. He will ghost into the box too, as highlighted his finishes so far. 

Shackling him would be a poor decision. He will get his goals regardless. 

I was surprised he made the stats team of the week too, as I said I think he got brushed off the ball too easily a couple of times. However, I am not in the least bit concerned that he hasn't hit top form yet. He's got a lovely first touch, he grafts, drifts around with purpose and has always looked a threat. From long range and close. 

They say form is temporary and class is permanent. Well I think it's clear he has that class. He'll be our best player come the end. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Possibly. Looking solely at yesterday though off the top of my head he scored from about 10 yards, hit the post from a yard out and had a curling shot from inside the box that went just wide.

I think if we played him simply as a poacher, a Darren Bent if you like, that we'd be wasting him as he has way more to his game than that. He can do a bit of everything and drop deep and look to create, pick the ball up 20 odd yards from goal and shoot and, as shown yesterday, pop up in some great positions in the box.

I'm kind of hoping that when fit Adomah will provide plenty of quality ammunition for Ross and maybe this may negate the need to  go hunting for opportunities outside of the box- I am in no way suggesting that he should not do this full stop- I would just personally like to see him inside the box a little more so:-)

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Wrong in what way? That he's not played a lot if not most of his career as a number 10? 

I'm just going to leave this here...

lost any credibility with McGeady in the team ;)

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm perfectly relaxed. I was asking you a question bud. 

In my opinion, just because people want him to be a goal poacher and he 'looks like one' because of his stature that doesn't make it so. He plays a freer role because that's his best position. If you watch his goals and assists on YouTube you'll get a good enough feel for that. He will ghost into the box too, as highlighted his finishes so far. 

Shackling him would be a poor decision. He will get his goals regardless. 

I was surprised he made the stats team of the week too, as I said I think he got brushed off the ball too easily a couple of times. However, I am not in the least bit concerned that he hasn't hit top form yet. He's got a lovely first touch, he grafts, drifts around with purpose and has always looked a threat. From long range and close. 

They say form is temporary and class is permanent. Well I think it's clear he has that class. He'll be our best player come the end. 

I do agree with most of what you say and clearly you know more about him than I do- I still have a view that he should spend a little more time poaching around the 12 yard box- mind you if he notches 20 + this season I wouldn't care less  if everyone came outside of the box.

:-)

• Like 1

Before he signed for us, I only saw him briefly in one game for Leeds where he absolutely destroyed sha. From that brief viewing, he struck me as more of a lower level Robbie Keane. Good movement, good creatively and could also score. He ran the blues back line ragged that day, and looked more than just a goal scorer. Hopefully as he gets up to speed we will see similar performances from him, because he was outstanding that day.

• Like 4

Surprised reading this thread.. Granted ive only seen the games on Sky so far.. but every time i have seen him.. he looks impressive. Creative and not just a striker. The only criticism is he appears to fade in and out of games.. but that could be due to fitness or the fact that our midfield dont find our strikers all that often. Commentators on the weekend said that Kodjia and McCormack had the least touches than anyone in our side (at half time). Considering we had all the ball in the first half... that is surprising. We need him on the ball alot more but at the same time we need to feed him more. 2 goals in 6 games for a new side with no fitness. Hes doing okay.. plus an assist or two. 

• Like 2

By far the most key passes per game in this league. I think he's instrumental in this new attacking style we play. Should have had at least 2 on Sunday. Still can't believe we have him, Ayew, Kodjia and Gestede in the same team (we actually had them all on the pitch at the same time :crylaugh: ) .

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

By far the most key passes per game in this league. I think he's instrumental in this new attacking style we play. Should have had at least 2 on Sunday. Still can't believe we have him, Ayew, Kodjia and Gestede in the same team (we actually had them all on the pitch at the same time :crylaugh: ) .

+ Grealish. 

• McCormack has created more goalscoring chances than any other Championship player this season so far (25).

Hmm, I guess I'm wrong about him not working in the 10 position, he's obviously doing a bloody good job at creating chances for us. 

• Like 1

Wow that is a impressive stat, should keep him where he is 

we just need our forwards to start taking their chances. we are getting there i think. just need to have the belief to see out games once that happens i think we will go a good little run

I think he needs to play upfront. He is too deep. We have good options upfront but RDM wants to play them all and we have no options to make impact off the bench. He needs to man up and drop some players. Start McCormack and Kodjia upfront and bench Ayew. He isnt scoring. Bench Gestede. Bring Adomah wide for some width. We just dont have balance and playing strikers in midfield and on the wings isnt working. No balance in the side. 

22 minutes ago, Richard said:

Poor tonight not impressed so far and for the money spent not a good signing , so far 

Couldn't disagree more. Think we really missed him tonight and he's a main reason we've looked so good going forward in previous games. 

• Like 1

Â