Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

10 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Couldn't disagree more. Think we really missed him tonight and he's a main reason we've looked so good going forward in previous games. 

He was on the pitch the first half. He couldn't control the ball, he gave it away far too often and generally stopped our attacks too often with them breaking down when the ball got to him. He was, IMO, poor and I thought he was playing with an injury.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Richard said:

Poor tonight not impressed so far and for the money spent not a good signing , so far 

Scoring goals and creating more chances than anyone in the league - you honestly don't think he's a good signing?

Didn't watch the game against Brentford but sounded like he had a fairly anonymous game on the radio, so probably true about him being poor last night.  Overall, though?

10 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Couldn't disagree more. Think we really missed him tonight and he's a main reason we've looked so good going forward in previous games. 

Well he played and he was terrible . He couldn't trap a bag of sand last night.

• Like 1

A waste of money given his age. Not played in the right position. Cost £12m, we could not have signed him and DeLaet who was another waste of money and got a couple of really good midfielders. I mean do we really need 3 right backs and 4 centre forwards? I would suggest not.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KHV said:

A waste of money given his age. Not played in the right position. Cost £12m, we could not have signed him and DeLaet who was another waste of money and got a couple of really good midfielders. I mean do we really need 3 right backs and 4 centre forwards? I would suggest not.

This. It's looking like we're in desperate need of a central midfielder who can carry the ball, and who is comfortable on it in attacking areas and tight spaces. Tshibola looks classy but not sure he's a ball carrier.

4 hours ago, KHV said:

I'd suggest that he was not a waste of money in that he is one of the top championship scorers in the past couple of years. slightly off topic but with the midfield, we signed three new players in Jedinak, Adomah, and Tshibola, as well as Gardner returning back from a 'successful' loan spell  How many other midfielders would you have bought. And McCormack seems to work better in an attacking midfield role, linking the more traditional number 9's with the rest of the midfield 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

I'd suggest that he was not a waste of money in that he is one of the top championship scorers in the past couple of years. slightly off topic but with the midfield, we signed three new players in Jedinak, Adomah, and Tshibola, as well as Gardner returning back from a 'successful' loan spell  How many other midfielders would you have bought. And McCormack seems to work better in an attacking midfield role, linking the more traditional number 9's with the rest of the midfield 

Adomah isn't a central midfielder, Gary Gardner is terrible, Tshibola is a complete unknown with an atrocious injury record and Jedinak is bang average and the wrong side of 30. McCormack was an unnecessary signing with no resale value regardless of wether he flops or not. McCormack is not an attacking midfielder either. If we needed one we should have signed one. Square pegs in round holes yet again at Villa park and rather unsurprisingly it's not working.

36 minutes ago, KHV said:

Adomah isn't a central midfielder, Gary Gardner is terrible, Tshibola is a complete unknown with an atrocious injury record and Jedinak is bang average and the wrong side of 30. McCormack was an unnecessary signing with no resale value regardless of wether he flops or not. McCormack is not an attacking midfielder either. If we needed one we should have signed one. Square pegs in round holes yet again at Villa park and rather unsurprisingly it's not working.

With the way this team has been setup the signing of McCormack truly is puzzling. McCormack likes to drop into the hole problem is so does Ayew and Grealish also likes to float in from wide position. For 12 million he just seems awfully redundant.  I would have much preferred, as you mentioned, an actual attacking midfielder or another athletic central midfielder terrier/harasser. 

8 hours ago, KHV said:

Thought delaet played really well.

39 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

Thought delaet played really well.

Right back was not a priority though, we already had 3 people that could play there and DeLaet isn't an upgrade 

3 hours ago, KHV said:

I'm aware of all of those facts. I personally would've preferred a younger center mid(ala instead of Jedinak) but understand that we needed leaders after last season's fiasco. But who would you have gone after for our midfield? just asking? But back on topic, McCormack has arguably been our best player this season.

Just now, Villaphan04 said:

I'm aware of all of those facts. I personally would've preferred a younger center mid(ala instead of Jedinak) but understand that we needed leaders after last season's fiasco. But who would you have gone after for our midfield? just asking? But back on topic, McCormack has arguably been our best player this season.

Personally I would have been happy with Kodjia and another midfielder or two instead of the mccormack fee. I think Defour was a great capture for Burnley and I also like Gunnerson and Bridcutt in the championship. I think Ravel would have also been a great capture. 

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I'd be perfectly happy to build the whole side around this guy as a number 10 off the Codge.

If we do that effectively, I can't see us not getting top 6.

I don't think we can make it, not with Tshibola, Jedinak, Gardner and Westwood. There is nothing there in the middle

1 minute ago, KHV said:

I don't think we can make it, not with Tshibola, Jedinak, Gardner and Westwood. There is nothing there in the middle

I'm confident we can if the team is coached properly and can be disciplined.

Attack and a team, defend as a unit.

Jedinak + Westwood/Tish behind McCormack should be enough to get us right us the table with Adomah/Grealish/Ayew wide.

Â