Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

McCormack is in the same category as Ayew for me. Best position: on the pitch. 

Don't really know where either of them should be playing to get the best out of them. You'd want to build a team round them ideally so they are in their most effective place on the pitch but I have no idea where that is for McCormack. He's the championships Rooney 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, skarroki said:

McCormack is in the same category as Ayew for me. Best position: on the pitch. 

Don't really know where either of them should be playing to get the best out of them. You'd want to build a team round them ideally so they are in their most effective place on the pitch but I have no idea where that is for McCormack. He's the championships Rooney 

In my opinion he's playing far too deep. Now I haven't seen much of him before Villa but he gives the impression of a one/two touch player, get it to him and he'll have a crack at it from anywhere or he'll, like today, be a clinical poacher like finisher. He's not going to hold up play well and he's not going to go past players with skill, strength or speed. So he needs to be much further upfront, ahead of flick ons from Kodija/ Gestede.

Ayew needs to be playing in the role McCormack currently plays, so he can take players on, he can use his pace and he can float from one side to the other from a more central position. He often gets the ball on the right wing but naturally moves to the middle; put him there from the start.

Personally speaking, I'd be dropping Grealish at the moment as he doesn't warrant building a team around. He has basically zero end product and his flair can't be carried for the other 80 mins of the game. Play McCormack, Kodija upfront, Ayew as playmaker then add some strength to the midfield with Tshibola, Westwood and Jedinak in there. Use De Laet and, eventually, Amavi as further attacking threats from the RB/LB positions. So a 4-3-1-2 effectively that almost turns into a 2-3-3-2 when attacking. Grealish unbalances the side, weakening the midfield and not offering as much threat as Ayew. 

Our biggest problem is the weak midfield who neither defend well or create much. All the new signings in that position have serious questions over their long term fitness and any team that relies on Gardner isn't going to be challenging for the playoffs!

There's so much attacking threat in this team but we're not seeing it because the midfield is so poor and Ayew, and Grealish, are being misused.

• Like 4

I know wrong thread for what I'm about to say but it leads back to dropping Jack at the moment.  Our attacking threat looks to be lethal once they have gelled but who starts is a problem.  I even liked how Kodja and Gestede looked good upfront together which leaves Ayew on the right, Adomah on the left and McCormack behind them.  That's incredibly top heavy though so in theory either Gestede or McCormack misses the starting team but definitely leaves Jack out

The type of player who needs two compotent midfielders to get him on the ball. Sadly we had Westwood and Gardner playing yesterday at a snails pace (especially in the first half) so that wasn't possible. Give him the ball and he'll make things happen. Looks a tidy finisher too.

12 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

In my opinion he's playing far too deep. Now I haven't seen much of him before Villa but he gives the impression of a one/two touch player, get it to him and he'll have a crack at it from anywhere or he'll, like today, be a clinical poacher like finisher. He's not going to hold up play well and he's not going to go past players with skill, strength or speed. So he needs to be much further upfront, ahead of flick ons from Kodija/ Gestede.

Ayew needs to be playing in the role McCormack currently plays, so he can take players on, he can use his pace and he can float from one side to the other from a more central position. He often gets the ball on the right wing but naturally moves to the middle; put him there from the start.

Personally speaking, I'd be dropping Grealish at the moment as he doesn't warrant building a team around. He has basically zero end product and his flair can't be carried for the other 80 mins of the game. Play McCormack, Kodija upfront, Ayew as playmaker then add some strength to the midfield with Tshibola, Westwood and Jedinak in there. Use De Laet and, eventually, Amavi as further attacking threats from the RB/LB positions. So a 4-3-1-2 effectively that almost turns into a 2-3-3-2 when attacking. Grealish unbalances the side, weakening the midfield and not offering as much threat as Ayew. 

Our biggest problem is the weak midfield who neither defend well or create much. All the new signings in that position have serious questions over their long term fitness and any team that relies on Gardner isn't going to be challenging for the playoffs!

There's so much attacking threat in this team but we're not seeing it because the midfield is so poor and Ayew, and Grealish, are being misused.

I think this goes back to my point about no system. He is trying to play in a way that gets all of our best players on the pitch. It's going to take time to work as leads to players playing out of position. 

13 hours ago, Farlz said:

Not sure what to think about McCormack so far. Don't see this no.10 role working out really. 

He's played there his entire career give or take. He's been good for us in the role, if not outstanding yet and has scored a couple of goals as expected.

I'm not sure what you mean. 

5 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He's played there his entire career give or take. He's been good for us in the role, if not outstanding yet and has scored a couple of goals as expected.

I'm not sure what you mean. 

Sorry but I think you are wrong Doug- I agree with Farlz, he is way too deep in my opinion and I really don't think his performances can be described as good so far. This said I am delighted he joined us and have no doubts that the goals will come- I think we all know he can finish from inside or outside of the box- I just feel that he needs to spend more time poaching around inside the opposition box.

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

Sorry but I think you are wrong Doug- I agree with Farlz, he is way too deep in my opinion and I really don't think his performances can be described as good so far. This said I am delighted he joined us and have no doubts that the goals will come- I think we all know he can finish from inside or outside of the box- I just feel that he needs to spend more time poaching around inside the opposition box.

Wrong in what way? That he's not played a lot if not most of his career as a number 10? 

I'm just going to leave this here...

• Like 1

Overall I think he has done pretty well so far. At times he is a little slow in possession and gets out muscled looking for a foul. I get the impression he still isn't anywhere near up to speed yet though and I think there is a lot more to come from him.

40 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Wrong in what way? That he's not played a lot if not most of his career as a number 10? 

I'm just going to leave this here...

Well I don't mind admitting that I am surprised but happy for him in equal measure that he's made team of the week. Doug I would think that most fans would like to see him a few meters closer to the opposition goal- the guy clearly does have a poachers look about him- however if you say that's where he's played most of his career I'm not going to argue because I don't know. 

Just relax a little though I don't see anyone criticising him- only people offering suggestions/observations that's all. :-)

28 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I would think that most fans would like to see him a few meters closer to the opposition goal- the guy clearly does have a poachers look about him-

Possibly. Looking solely at yesterday though off the top of my head he scored from about 10 yards, hit the post from a yard out and had a curling shot from inside the box that went just wide.

I think if we played him simply as a poacher, a Darren Bent if you like, that we'd be wasting him as he has way more to his game than that. He can do a bit of everything and drop deep and look to create, pick the ball up 20 odd yards from goal and shoot and, as shown yesterday, pop up in some great positions in the box.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Â