Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

4 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I disagree with this, I was no fan of Steve Bruce as our manager. In any other work environment Ross would've worn out his welcome, despite his issues.

As someone who has battled depression nearly my whole life, I find Ross McCormack offensive......

This guy would have access to any services he required, and to be able to afford the best of whatever care he needed. The club I'm sure would've extended any help in any way they possibly could. 

I'm Ross I'm on this piss, taking the piss and being a toss but I'm depressed so everyone feel sorry for me.

Maybe I'm being harsh but I know what Ive gone through, and I've seen what many other people go through with no help and little assistance. 

It's an illness yes, but it's not a bloody excuse to be a complete word removed!

I'm sorry to hear this Villan_of_oz I share your struggle.

i don't think anyone would argue much of what you say.

I myself have said many times - McCormack is far from the victim here - but I repeat Bruce does not come out of this whole sorry saga with much credit in my view.

I wish you well 👍🏻

• Like 1

I really don't get the disdain for McCormack. It's not his fault that we made a poor investment.

Ross gave an interview recently about how he could've retired at Fulham and that the move to Villa was a mistake.

We paid 12 million for a 30 year old who had peaked. Of course McCormack would snatch at the chance to play in the Premier League and earn a higher wage with Villa.

Newcastle bought a then 20 year old Mitrovic for 15 million a year earlier. They got goals out of him and sold him on at a profit of 7 million.

Mitrovic is apparently about to sell for 50 million to a Chinese team despite being branded as a trouble maker of sorts himself.

Where is McCormack? Played 3 games this season for Motherwell. See the difference in transfer strategy?

McCormack was captain of Fulham which makes me find it hard to believe he is as bad as people make out on here.

He played roughly 20 games here for us during a period that wasn't great for anyone and didn't manage to bag the goals he did yesteryear.

Time to move on. Forgive and forget.

12 hours ago, Dave J said:

I'm sorry to hear this Villan_of_oz I share your struggle.

i don't think anyone would argue much of what you say.

I myself have said many times - McCormack is far from the victim here - but I repeat Bruce does not come out of this whole sorry saga with much credit in my view.

I wish you well 👍🏻

I want to apologise Dave, my rant didn't need to be specifically attached to your post, it was not in anyway meant to be having a go at you. I should've posted it seperately, I feel really bad about it.

Bruce is guilty of probably not understanding how to deal with someone in Ross's situation, but then not many people do. I have found many professionals in the field to lack understanding.

4 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I really don't get the disdain for McCormack. It's not his fault that we made a poor investment.

Well his alleged attitude and antics are part of what has made it a bad investment.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well his alleged attitude and antics are part of what has made it a bad investment.

Probably a fair statement. Bruce obviously felt that way about it.

I don't really know to what extent McCormack is a poor professional or if the case is just that he was a costly flop here.

We've had plenty of transfers that just dont work out for whatever reason. Amazed that Bruce gets so much flack for this one. People seem to assume the whole football world would be totally oblivious to McCormacks situation if it weren't for gategate.

This falls squarely on RDM and DrX who spent unwisely and on McCormack himself, hence the flack.

That Fulham must have been laughing all the way to the bank on this one just rubs a bit of salt in the wounds given last years play-off final result.

I was going to finish by saying something standard about this thread being bumped yet irrelevant but then I thought, nah, this is actually a good thing. And the Richards thread. There's obviously nothing else to moan about at the moment :)

2 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

We've had plenty of transfers that just dont work out for whatever reason. Amazed that Bruce gets so much flack for this one. People seem to assume the whole football world would be totally oblivious to McCormacks situation if it weren't for gategate.

This falls squarely on RDM and DrX who spent unwisely and on McCormack himself, hence the flack.

That Fulham must have been laughing all the way to the bank on this one just rubs a bit of salt in the wounds given last years play-off final result.

I was going to finish by saying something standard about this thread being bumped yet irrelevant but then I thought, nah, this is actually a good thing. And the Richards thread. There's obviously nothing else to moan about at the moment :)

think Bruce comments really killed any resale value or any credible market for McCormack. Is always a clown club who will take a chance on these players and not all are Villa ;)

Even LEscott got a club after our relegation season

• Like 1

The club paid heavily for a 30 year old on a 4 year contract who was known to be a difficult person to deal with. We should not have given him such a long contract, and we should have made a great proportion of his earning dependant upon actually performing. The club is mostly to blame.

Bruce didn't handle it in the best interests of the club, and he should have been controlled. I don't know if he handled it in the best interests of the team because the players had the decency to not discuss it.

McCormack has pretty much ended his career in football - he's done as a player, and is unlikely to get work as a manager or a pundit. For that he deserves our disdain. Fans work hard for decades to pay his wages; he seemingly can't be arsed to work much at all. He's made his bed; he'll have to lie in it - and when his grandkids asked him what he did, he knows he didn't fulfil his potential.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Probably a fair statement. Bruce obviously felt that way about it.

I don't really know to what extent McCormack is a poor professional or if the case is just that he was a costly flop here.

I don't think there's any doubt that he's largely responsible for the situation he finds himself in. If you're struggling with booze or depression, you've got a lot of options when you're wealthy - it doesn't make it easy or anything, as mental health is not to be taken lightly, but there is responsibility to assume all the same. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I want to apologise Dave, my rant didn't need to be specifically attached to your post, it was not in anyway meant to be having a go at you. I should've posted it seperately, I feel really bad about it.

Bruce is guilty of probably not understanding how to deal with someone in Ross's situation, but then not many people do. I have found many professionals in the field to lack understanding.

Hey fella - no need whatsoever to apologise to me.  I never gave it a second thought.

For me their are no winners in this sorry saga other than both parties legal.

I hope you keep well👍🏻

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

according to some absolute terrifying reports, his wages will go up to 70k if we go up

Yes there seems to be a few who have hardly touched a ball this season who between them all would gain upto 4 million, that's horrendous that they would get this for doing absoloute nothing.

Players who do sweet f a and clubs in trouble or get promoted still end up paying to the ones that didn't do a thing.

I'll be glad when we see the backs of them for the last time as this latest episode is the last straw for me as I'm sure it is many of you..

I honestly in a way can't blame them for picking up that money if it is the case they can get it, yet if they held any love for Aston Villa and had any pride, they could easily see that they have not earned that coin in any way and should say no to it.

Edited by Dave-R

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

according to some absolute terrifying reports, his wages will go up to 70k if we go up

Well at least it will take not going up alot easier to take if we don’t manage it

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

So Ross might actually care if we win, that'd be something different!

• Haha 1

On 08/04/2019 at 13:10, Villan_of_oz said:

I disagree with this, I was no fan of Steve Bruce as our manager. In any other work environment Ross would've worn out his welcome, despite his issues.

As someone who has battled depression nearly my whole life, I find Ross McCormack offensive......

This guy would have access to any services he required, and to be able to afford the best of whatever care he needed. The club I'm sure would've extended any help in any way they possibly could. 

I'm Ross I'm on this piss, taking the piss and being a toss but I'm depressed so everyone feel sorry for me.

Maybe I'm being harsh but I know what Ive gone through, and I've seen what many other people go through with no help and little assistance. 

It's an illness yes, but it's not a bloody excuse to be a complete word removed!

I agree with this in part, particularly the last line. Mental health is a killer, no question, but it does not prevent people from being good people. That is totally on him. Alcohol is trickier, however taking this at face value he has a problem with alcohol but it is one of attitude towards it and when on it rather than it being a requirement for day to day functionality. In which case it is on him to sort that out.  

I do not begrudge Ross having his issues with either drink or mental health assuming that is the case, however as you quite rightly point out this does not excuse somebody from taking the piss out of others. That is a personality trait of his that he quite obviously hasn't done nearly enough to combat. 

Whether he wants to utilise his privileged to get well again for his own benefit is totally up to him, but that all changes when his behaviour is affecting those around him. In which case he has an obligation to make strides towards being well. Obviously we don't know Ross personally nor his story in great detail but it is clear, to me, that he has at the very least taken advantage of  the fans who have contributed to his privileged lifestyle and for him to outwardly show such utter disregard for them is obscene. This is not excused by his mental health issues, should they exist. It might be exasperated by them but again like you said, I find it unfathomable that he has not had this pointed out to him on multiple occasions nor been presented with opportunities to fix the problem that others can only dream of.

This isn't even a 'contractual obligation' argument, it's a humanist one.

• Like 3

Â