Keith Wyness

villan-scott

Its a interesting read.  Gets to Steve Bruce last after Round and the owner- looking to much into that?! You can't knock the optimism behind the scenes- but none of this is going to happen unless we go up. As for a 60 k stadium i can't see how we can squeeze that in unless they rebuild both the North Stand and Doug Ellis over the road like the trinity.  

All sounds fantastic.

Hopefully in a few years it will all have come true.

Here's hoping.

I just can't get round that nagging feeling that Xia's been had by a couple of con men talking a good game while fleecing him for every penny he's got.

• Like 1

'Villa Engine' is going to look like one of those daft phrases if we don't go up. 

He talks a good game but so did Fox. Still, at least he's been there and done it.

I'll judge the board on their actions. For what it's worth, I've been fairly impressed so far. Bruce is going to give them a headache of we don't improve in September mind. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, sne said:

All sounds fantastic.

Hopefully in a few years it will all have come true.

Here's hoping.

I just can't get round that nagging feeling that Xia's been had by a couple of con men talking a good game while fleecing him for every penny he's got.

Sadly I fear wyness  and Round will back Bruce to cover themselves for appointing him - xia may need a shake up at the top .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

It appears Steve Bruce's main attributes as a manager is he's a bloody good bloke. Fantastic, it's always nice to work with good honest people, and Steve is happy to share his thoughts with our CEO, unlike a young modern manager. Or perhaps a young modern manager would need to sit down for hours to explain his thoughts to the CEO, instead of getting on with instilling them into the players and coaches. Whereas the footballing thoughts of Steve Bruce don't take quite so long to explain. Keep it tight at the back and hoof it to Kodjia, if Kodjia isn't playing, keep it tight at the back and hoof it anyway. Since Steve Wyness is so busy, then that sort of simple, straight, 30 second explanation of our on pitch activities would suit him down to the ground. Just how that fits in with the "Villa Engine" who knows?

The plans sound great, they always do. But we're a football club and we live or die on the performance of the first team and our first team are producing turgid, boring, negative football that is also, and most importantly, ineffective. All the other plans are on hold until the first team is sorted, he even admits that everything more or less depends on being promoted. Finding the most important cog in the wheel appears to be on hold because the CEO is having a bromance with the  current failing manager. Nice speech, lovely self proclaiming revue of your CV Mr Wyness, now start being a winner and make this football club a winner. We've been Mr Nice Guy for too long and until the club develops a more ruthless steak we ain't going anywhere fast. 

Seems pie in the sky to me -football clubs are judged on results on the pitch , that is what will generate the income and getting back to the premiership and putting a decent team on the pitch is the main thing .

Round missed out in an interview to become no. 2 to garde not that long ago - how the hell did wyness convince xia to give him such a high profile job at this club .

Yes he may be qualified but he's been a coach at other clubs and it's a huge step to have such responsibility as he now has at this club .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Seems pie in the sky to me -football clubs are judged on results on the pitch , that is what will generate the income and getting back to the premiership and putting a decent team on the pitch is the main thing .

Round missed out in an interview to become no. 2 to garde not that long ago - how the hell did wyness convince xia to give him such a high profile job at this club .

Yes he may be qualified but he's been a coach at other clubs and it's a huge step to have such responsibility as he now has at this club .

I don't think Round is as senior as he is made out to be. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PatrickCousens said:

'Villa Engine' is going to look like one of those daft phrases if we don't go up. 

He talks a good game but so did Fox. Still, at least he's been there and done it.

I'll judge the board on their actions. For what it's worth, I've been fairly impressed so far. Bruce is going to give them a headache of we don't improve in September mind. 

It is. But I am glad the club is aiming for something. A style, a recogniseable identity of football. Even if it ends up looking silly I am glad they are showing ambition by trying it and telling us that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I would be excited about that interview if we didn't look so crap on the pitch. The fact we do means everything mentioned in that interview is all talk. 

9 hours ago, Phumfeinz said:

I like that we're trying to establish a playing identity at the club from youth to senior. It's a shame it'll just all be bypassed by hoofball anyway.

This kind of thing doesn't happen overnight.

The football is shit right now. That doesn't mean what's said in that interview isn't true or can't come true.

You don't establish an identity by clicking your fingers.

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The football is shit right now. That doesn't mean what's said in that interview isn't true or can't come true.

I know what you mean but the implications of being crap now will have a massive knock on affect to achieving all that was mentioned in the interview. I.e. The financial implications of no promotion this year will be disastrous. If Wyness is talking about an overhaul that could take several years which include eventual promotion then build from there then maybe he is on to something. But you really see him, Xia, Round etc sticking around for a plan that involves several years in the championship? 

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I know what you mean but the implications of being crap now will have a massive knock on affect to achieving all that was mentioned in the interview. I.e. The financial implications of no promotion this year will be disastrous. If Wyness is talking about an overhaul that could take several years which include eventual promotion then build from there then maybe he is on to something. But you really see him, Xia, Round etc sticking around for a plan that involves several years in the championship? 

I have no idea.

Wasn't really the point I was making or answering.

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I have no idea.

Wasn't really the point I was making or answering.

I wasn't arguing with you mate. I was just saying why I think playing crap now will impact everything Wyness said. 

If your point was a general view that you do not establish a new identity by clicking your fingers then yes. I agree with you.  

Maybe the stuff about Bruce is true, he's a very experienced coach/manager now.  But my question from that interview is, why don't we go for a young, progressive thinking Number 2 for him?  Someone who might have the audacity to question Bruce, or bring new ideas to him if the young coach thinks what's currently happening isn't working. 

It's all well and good having Calderwood there, and I don't know how he coaches or what he does, or doesn't know/do - but you'd think you could maybe get a coach in his late 30's, early 40's who knows what it's like playing in today's game - can use coaching techniques that we don't use, and isn't necessarily a "yes" man for Bruce, but someone who uses Bruces's experience and drives him forward. 

From a distance, Calderwood just seems like another experienced coach in his 50's, who probably has the same outlook, same ideology as Bruce.. Is that the best thing?  Or does that breed monotony and "old fashioned"? 

If all this IS happening, then I'm obviously talking guff.  But if it isn't, and we're seeing what we're seeing, then maybe it's a good place to start looking for a positive change?  

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

You're right that it won't happen overnight and will likely be several years before we start to see the fruition of it, but that then leads to the question of why we're sticking with Bruce when his style of play clearly isn't in our plans going forward. I don't think Bruce is capable of changing his mindset and employing progressive football so we'll end up in the situation where our youth are taught to play one way and the senior team will be playing another.

I guess by next month we'll have a clearer picture of what to expect going forward regardless.

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

From a distance, Calderwood just seems like another experienced coach in his 50's, who probably has the same outlook, same ideology as Bruce.. Is that the best thing?  Or does that breed monotony and "old fashioned"? 

Assuming that Bruce chose his assistant, he probably sees it as consistency and continuity. Someone to continue his 'good work' when there are too many bodies for him to coach one-on-one (or someone to put across his thoughts if/when he doesn't attend training).

This playing style is something that I'm cynical about. Who has decided on what the style should be and is it a style proven to be effective? Also, will the same style of play beat every team in the league? No, it won't...you have to adjust based on the opposition. Perhaps I'm confusing style with tactics but i interpret 'style' to be something along the lines of the Barca style under a couple of different managers (not sure how they play now cause it's been a while since i watched a game) but they had the players to execute this style. The opposition knew exactly what they were going to do, they were just powerless to stop it cause the lads executing this were just too damn good. For example, the defence would be surrounded by a mob of opposition attackers they would be like 'not to worry' - pass, pass, pass and danger was quickly turned to attack. As long as we have the likes of Hutton in the team (who i like btw, before I'm mistaken for scapegoating the bloke) then aside from screaming 'Villa Engine' at them from the sidelines at the top of your voice i really cant see anything changing and the ball will continue to be hoofed up field as hard as they can.

And what if we did sack Bruce, and a good managerial candidate is turned away cause he doesn't agree with this style? And Moyes is appointed just because he does? Who makes the decision to change the style? Its coming across as team management from the boardroom to me...perhaps i've misinterpreted it.

I like the concept - but for me it's an idea better suited to teams like Stoke, Southampton, or Everton - established premiership teams with no real danger of going down who need a plan to take them to the next level.

14 hours ago, PatrickCousens said:

This is my issue. Not the actual plan, that's obviously a good idea, but the naming of it and then telling the fans that name. You can guarantee that the next time we lose a game, tonnes of fans will be sarcastically asking if this is the Villa Engine. It'll be another stick to beat the club with. Like we need any more!

Overall though, I like what Wyness says. A 60k Villa stadium sounds awesome (if we get back to the Prem and can then sign some exciting players and play exciting/ winning football to actually fill it).

Â