Keith Wyness

villan-scott

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Absolutely if there is evidence that we can actually fill a 50k stadoum consistently. I mean even in our peak under mon we were still not selling out each week when we were successful. I think we need to be consistency be averaging over 40k for us to seriously consider this.

Exactly! See my post above. Wyness is talking out of his arse. He can shove his 'Villa Engine' up it too. 

36 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Absolutely if there is evidence that we can actually fill a 50k stadoum consistently. I mean even in our peak under mon we were still not selling out each week when we were successful. I think we need to be consistency be averaging over 40k for us to seriously consider this.

Our peak under MON didn't match our current owner's ambitions.

I would guess the redevelopment would be at least two fold anyway.

If we get promoted I would imagine the North Stand will be redeveloped and expanded, provided we're not immediately relegated again. If the plans for the new North Stand were to mirror the Holte End, that would increase the capacity by around 6,000 (I believe).

Then, assuming we're still holding our own in the top flight and we're attracting decent attendances, thoughts will turn to redeveloping the Witton Lane stand. Again, if they mirror the Trinity that will bump up the capacity around another 4,000 (again, as I believe).

That takes the capacity the stadium capacity to around 52,000. Where the other 8,000 would be I'm not sure. 

I don't believe for a second they're going to rebuild something they've just rebuilt. And the capacity isn't going to just shoot up from 42,000 to 60,000.

It's all flipping exciting, I just hope we see it happen. I'm interested in Wyness' suggestion of something changing in the Holte. If I'm being greedy, I'd like us to redo the Trinity to resemble more what it looked like before it was redeveloped, but I suspect that's a pipe dream.

Just to finish with my thoughts on Wyness, I like him and I enjoy hearing his take on things. However, I am obviously wary of someone who speaks well from our time with Fox. This month is potentially a huge one for the club and possibly for Wyness too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Our peak under MON didn't match our current owner's ambitions.

I have to disagree a bit with this as when Lerner came in he was ambitious but spectacularly failed then just gave up and made us losers like him 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I have to disagree a bit with this as when Lerner came in he was ambitious but spectacularly failed then just gave up and made us losers like him 

I don't think that's what Stevo is saying. He's not suggesting there was a lack of ambition on Lerner's part to begin with.

He's saying that what Tony wants is more than what was actually achieved under O'Neill. So the argument of "we got X thousand under MON" doesn't count for much.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

8 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I don't think that's what Stevo is saying. He's saying that what Tony wants is more than what was actually achieved under O'Neill.

Yeah, what SL said.

Our peak under MON was 6th place in the prem.

Xia's ambitions, realistic or not, are much higher than that.

If he feels that is a real possibility then he'll want to reach a capacity that matches that possibility.

I think we're getting a bit too hung up on the 60k figure. My point was that it isn't a problem to increase our capacity beyond what we can currently fill. It's future proofing.

3 hours ago, briny_ear said:

At the moment we can't fill a 42k stadium so maybe we should build something smaller?

ironyalertironyalertironyalert

One more season in this League and that may not seem either ironic or silly.

On the one hand it's nice to hear ambition from the Club. Football is about dreams and just like the Wizard of Oz it can ruin things if we "see behind the curtain"...

On the other hand I hope very much they also have a plan for a future with gates of 25000.

Our future as a ' big club' is a long way from certain and at some point we might be better served by accepting a new reality rather than hoping for a return to - far off - glories.

I think we are at our most precarious position since the late sixties.

To capitalise on a 50-60k stadium it needs to be ready for when that demand comes.

If we are finishing top 4 and the demand is there then we'd miss out on a few seasons gates due to reduced capacity whilst this redevelopment takes place. It makes sense if the ambitions are true to redevelop whilst the demand is lower.

After promotion think they will reopen Trinity upper tier and empty the North stand as no doubt that's where the work will begin. 

As for the actual redevelopment, I dont think theres enough space to get to a 60k capacity, you'd have to buy out the residents on Witton Lane, knock all the houses down and push the road back

6 hours ago, hippo said:

Agree about the bowl staduims damn awful things.

I just think all the money wasted on regenerating aston - the infrastructure - I just think a new ground suddenly becomes more feasible. We need to be located in a more affluent\ less crime  area 

Doesn't land cost a lot of money, especially in affluent areas?

Besides, we are ASTON villa and I am not there to go sightseeing.

• Like 2

Of course while success on the pitch is necessary to increase attendances, the other thing which would help is lowering of prices. It's been said many times that the TV money is so huge now, that takings on the gate now form a much smaller percentage of income. I'm not trying to say that fans going to games are less important, far from it. Creating a vibrant atmosphere is a huge advantage. The Germans do it, with very low prices they fill their grounds. For many finding £30 and justifying it to the rest of the family when things are tight is prohibitive, if taking the kids too, then the cost goes up even more. However a tenner and fiver for kids to sit anywhere in the ground makes the cost less of an issue. And if you get them when they're young, you've got them for life. 

• Like 1

Previously any talk of a new North Stand have a 50-52 K figure bandied about. Not sure how to get the extra 10 K. Would it be in time for the possible Commonwealths?

This is pipe dreaming but it would be a high plus if the FA ever decided to have semi finals and the occasional international at VP to help cover the costs, rather than Wembley ever single bloody time. How easy is it for most of the country to get down to a evening kick off at London to watch England?

Edited by The Fun Factory

I know someone who worked for the engineering firm Atkins and he saw the plans Randy had drawn up apparently. I remember him telling me that Randy was torn between keeping the historic four separate stands or converting the North stand similar to St James park. He described one of the rough plans as having the Holte corner squared off along with the Trinity road corners squared off also. And the north stand was designed to be similar to the Chelsea village shed end. 

As proven with the bodge job at Anfield or the upper corners at old Trafford its  very difficult to marry stands together that were not designed to be. 

I just see it as just talk to distract from the serious issues on the pitch personally. I don't doubt that it's been spoken about just can't see it realistically being with the next 10 years. 

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah, what SL said.

Our peak under MON was 6th place in the prem.

Xia's ambitions, realistic or not, are much higher than that.

If he feels that is a real possibility then he'll want to reach a capacity that matches that possibility.

I think we're getting a bit too hung up on the 60k figure. My point was that it isn't a problem to increase our capacity beyond what we can currently fill. It's future proofing.

I get your point now :thumb:

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

I just see it as just talk to distract from the serious issues on the pitch personally. I don't doubt that it's been spoken about just can't see it realistically being with the next 10 years. 

Did you see 10 years ago Man City having a 54,000 stadium and winning the title twice? No neither did I.  

Â