Keith Wyness

villan-scott

1 hour ago, mrjc said:

Spurs and Southampton are two great examples of well-run clubs who have managed genuine progress, without huge financial excess, and seem to be doing it sustainably.

Admittedly feels a long long long way off, maybe more because of the misery we've had for the last 10 years or so, but it has to be possible...or at least I hope...

Well yes that is true. I hope Wyness and co can run Villa well like the 2 clubs above. I guess this 60,000 figure being banded about would be in stages if it ever happens. Possibly even in 3 stages. I don't think any move to safe standing would increase capacity- so far it is the same capacity for seats as for standing as what has happened  at Parkhead. I think that is a separate issue really.

They're damned in they do and damned if they don't really.

We've moaned for yrs we have no Villa way. Randy left us with a ruin of an academy and scouting system. Our new chairmen hires one of the supposedly brightest men in football in Round who sets about rebuilding it all. They give us an update on how it's going and it's met with laughter and a yeah right response.

What can you do? I agree probably not the right time to tell us, but at least they acknowledge it needed to be done and are doing it.

• Like 4

I got really excited this morning. I heard this really loud noise which woke me up and I thought its really happening 'The Villa Engine' , so I quickly looked outside and it was just my neighbours ford transit going off to work. Gutted! , but I suppose it's going to take time.

• Like 2

You have a point 007. The plans set out are a dream to almost any football fan, especially those of a team currently in the bottom half of the second division. But our recent history has bred a certain level of scepticism and to be fair its more than a little understandable. If we had started the season well, people's thoughts would be generally more positive.

The timing of the announcement of these grand plans isn't exactly perfect. A cynical man may even conclude it was made now to deflect some attention from our on field plight and take some pressure off the manager. A really cynical man may even suggest that the CEO was perhaps trying to deflect pressure from himself, especially one who's boss has suggested that he is far from impressed with his choice of manager.....?

• Like 3

A well thought through interview - much better than the rubbish the Tom Fox used to come out with.  The Lynch pin of it all though is that the villa team on the pitch must win - without that none of it happens.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Will we even get close to 50k each week let alone 60k

14 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We're a million miles away from a packed out 60,000 capacity Villa Park. I can't see it happening in my lifetime. 

13 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

As for a 60k stadium I'd forget it. Unless we were regular top 4 and winning trophies with an exciting team then we would never get near that. 50k is more realistic, but even then we need a good team and to be pushing top 4-6 to make it worth while. Start filling the ground regular then have alook at it.

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats exactly it. If we are nit successful on the pitch we def wont.

I think we should look at 50k first then once that starts selling out look at 65k

I don't know how many times I've made this point, but I'll make it again.

We wouldn't be expanding to 60k because we'll immediately fill it. In fact if we were, that would be silly.

We're planning for the future. The club is ambitious. I think we'd all agree that we want the club to be in a position where we're attracting 60k fans every week.

On top fo that, Villa Park DOES need redevelopment. Put capacity aside, and the North Stand needs some serious work.

Whilst we are redeveloping, it makes complete and utter sense to include a capacity increase in that. 

Take Dem's suggestion, to expand to 50k and then later expand AGAIN to 65k.
Imagine how much more expensive that would be compared to just doing it all at once? It doesn't make any sense to do that.

We're going to be knocking down parts of the stadium to redevelop it. It makes no sense to do that, and then in a couple of years knock it down again to increase capacity.
It would be like building a small extension on your house to make it big enough for you and your wife when you're planning to have 5 kids and will need to knock the extension down and build another one in 5 years.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Take Dem's suggestion, to expand to 50k and then later expand AGAIN to 65k.
Imagine how much more expensive that would be compared to just doing it all at once? It doesn't make any sense to 

The thing is if we couldn't even fill up a 50-55k stadium lets say, it would have been a very expensive mistake to just go in one hit to a 65k.

Ellis could have extended to 50k if he wanted to but he went for just under 43k.  I dont think it would work up financially that bad if we gradually did this. I think be more expensive expanding to a 65k stadium that we would never fill.

The only way we are going to fill that is if we are challenging at the top end of the premier league and the way the top clubs are financially blowing everyone out if the water i just cant ever see us challenging for the top 5.

Edited by Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The thing is if we couldn't even fill up a 50-55k stadium lets say, it would have been a very expensive mistake to just go in one hit to a 65k.

It would be far FAR less expensive than expanding to 50k, and then realising we need to expand again to 60k

Personally I don't think villa park will ever be expanded to £60k. If we get to ever needing that capacity - I think we would be better off building a new ground. Lets be honest Aston is the armpit of the earth !

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I hope not, and nothing the club are saying suggests we'd be building a new ground.

The suggestion of redeveloping the surrounding area suggests they're staying put.

Which is the right decision. **** all these new, characterless bowl grounds. Villa Park is one of the most beautiful stadia in the country. To move would be a travesty.

Agree about the bowl staduims damn awful things.

I just think all the money wasted on regenerating aston - the infrastructure - I just think a new ground suddenly becomes more feasible. We need to be located in a more affluent\ less crime  area 

51 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It would be far FAR less expensive than expanding to 50k, and then realising we need to expand again to 60k

Agreed but what is the realistic chance we would fill a 60k stadium? Not very high i would imagine.

3 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

You have a point 007. The plans set out are a dream to almost any football fan, especially those of a team currently in the bottom half of the second division. But our recent history has bred a certain level of scepticism and to be fair its more than a little understandable. If we had started the season well, people's thoughts would be generally more positive.

The timing of the announcement of these grand plans isn't exactly perfect. A cynical man may even conclude it was made now to deflect some attention from our on field plight and take some pressure off the manager. A really cynical man may even suggest that the CEO was perhaps trying to deflect pressure from himself, especially one who's boss has suggested that he is far from impressed with his choice of manager.....?

I hear you Dave. It's been one false dawn after another. This bunch seem to at least be doing more than talking....but i wont hold my breath.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Agreed but what is the realistic chance we would fill a 60k stadium? Not very high i would imagine.

I think we've established before, mathematically, that there's a 50/50 chance. We either will or we wont. I like those odds.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree with this but I do think we need to be filling what we have with evidence there is demand for more seats before we even consider increasing the capacity. Whether that be to 50 or 60.  I guess that's probably what Wyness meant. 

I do think at the moment even seeing our current ground filled to capacity on a regular basis could take several years. 

Even under MON days we only filled the ground against the bigger teams and even that was because a lot of their fans would buy tickets in Villa seats. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

At the moment it's zero.

But if the owner is really as ambitious as he claims to be, then the chances are very good in the future.

He needs to plan for those ambitions.

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

At the moment it's zero.

But if the owner is really as ambitious as he claims to be, then the chances are very good in the future.

He needs to plan for those ambitions.

Absolutely if there is evidence that we can actually fill a 50k stadoum consistently. I mean even in our peak under mon we were still not selling out each week when we were successful. I think we need to be consistency be averaging over 40k for us to seriously consider this.

Â