Tommy Elphick

Demitri_C

24 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Che Adams hat trick.  I don't think he's scored 3 in his career.

Actually thought he scored 3 a few weeks back but that was Juketwicz. Scored 2 at Leeds.

Anyway despite our issues at the back sounded like Elphick showed today why he simply wasn't good enough to play week in week out for us. O.k for odd sub games like last January but not to be trusted over the long term.

19 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Puts his body on the line, takes no prisoners, my type of defender

Too casual in possession and makes a mistake every game. 

Not my type of defender. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Too casual in possession and makes a mistake every game. 

Not my type of defender. 

But at least he’s a defender. Our Axel nearly gifted 2 goals on Saturday so mistakes do happen. 

We’ll probably release him in the summer so I  think bringing him back in January will be a last resort anyway.

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

But at least he’s a defender. Our Axel nearly gifted 2 goals on Saturday so mistakes do happen. 

We’ll probably release him in the summer so I  think bringing him back in January will be a last resort anyway.

Oh don’t get me wrong. I’ll say it again I’d happily have him here at the moment just because we’ve got nobody else. 

But he’s not a good defender. Salifou Syndrome is striking again I think. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Oh don’t get me wrong. I’ll say it again I’d happily have him here at the moment just because we’ve got nobody else. 

But he’s not a good defender. Salifou Syndrome is striking again I think. 

Tbf Only one or two fans on here actually think he’s a good defender.  I don’t think you can call that Salifou Syndrome as salifou wasn’t even really a player. 

I personally think Elphicks an adequate defender.  Who knows. He might even gain some confidence and thrive under Smith. 

Would rather we sign someone then call him back though. He seems happy at Hull and has no future here. We need players that want to be here. 

I'd have him back and he'd be on the bench behind Axel, but only because of Axel's decent recent form. If Axel messed up then I'd put Elphick back in with Chester.

This talk of Salifou Syndrome is nonsense. Elphick isn't a crap player like Salifou was, and he's not a busted flush like McCormack or Richards. He's a Championship standard defender that will play well half the time, average the rest and then drop a clanger occasionally.

His absence, and his form under the fleeting chances that Bruce gave him towards the end, has given him this poor reputation among many of our fans, in the same way that Clark and Baker did when we got relegated. There was a time when the majority of the forum didn't want Clark and Baker at Villa, and then Clark went on to get Newcastle promoted, and Baker went on to prove people wrong by forming a good partnership with Chester, only to get flogged and replaced by Terry.

Elphick isn't a bad defender. He's limited, but most Championship players are. He should be in our squad, there's no question about it.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Elphick has been nothing but an accident waiting to happen every time I've seen him in a Villa shirt. Gives me absolutely no confidence at all. I'd genuinely rather Jedi at centre back than Elphick. 

Agreed. I don't know what other people see in Elphick. 

• Like 1

I felt when we signed him he was going to be a cracking player at this level, but he just hasn't done it in a claret and blue shirt. He always looks like he has a mistake in him and struggles against a variety of strikers.

I'd rather have Jedinak as a back-up central defender for now, purely because, unlike Elphick, at least he is dominant in the air, but hopefully we can get someone else in on loan in January as we are obviously short in this area.

Â