Tommy Elphick

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think he is, he’s great in the air and puts his body on the line, my type of defender

Solid and no nonsense, to me, means a defender that might not be the best, but is reliable and never does anything silly. Think someone like Freddy Bouma or Nathan Baker. Not the greatest defenders, but plays the game simply, doesn't make huge mistakes and gets rid rather than do anything stupid.

Elphick is honestly the exact opposite. He has talent, and can be good for 90% of the game, but he drops a clanger almost every game, and it usually comes from him being way too casual on the ball or trying something stupid at the wrong time.

I'd like to still have him just because of how low we are on defenders. But he's not a good defender.

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Solid and no nonsense, to me, means a defender that might not be the best, but is reliable and never does anything silly. Think someone like Freddy Bouma or Nathan Baker. Not the greatest defenders, but plays the game simply, doesn't make huge mistakes and gets rid rather than do anything stupid.

Elphick is honestly the exact opposite. He has talent, and can be good for 90% of the game, but he drops a clanger almost every game, and it usually comes from him being way too casual on the ball or trying something stupid at the wrong time.

I'd like to still have him just because of how low we are on defenders. But he's not a good defender.

Like his last game for us in the Carabau cup gave away a penalty and scored a goal.

I know he’s a CB, and we all know we need another CB, but he’s not the answer to the present problem imo.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I disagree as per, ok he might not be the best on the ball but he always gives 100% and I love his attitude. I’d have him here as back up to Axel and Chester, no brainer in my opinion 

55 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Like his last game for us in the Carabau cup gave away a penalty and scored a goal.

I know he’s a CB, and we all know we need another CB, but he’s not the answer to the present problem imo.

Well it would make more sense him being here than Hull given that we are still paying the bulk of his wages! Moronic move from Bruce.

I think he would be fine as a 3rd choice CB.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I disagree as per, ok he might not be the best on the ball but he always gives 100% and I love his attitude. I’d have him here as back up to Axel and Chester, no brainer in my opinion 

He gives 100% and I already said I'd also have him here as backup.

Your original post was that he was "solid and no nonsense". Which, imo, he absolutely is not.

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He gives 100% and I already said I'd also have him here as backup.

Your original post was that he was "solid and no nonsense". Which, imo, he absolutely is not.

Why do you think he isn’t solid and no nonsense?

20 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why do you think he isn’t solid and no nonsense?

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

• Like 1

The trouble with having a shaky player as backup is that they stay shaky. 

Long periods on the bench --> called in for emergencies --> rusty, nervous and trying too hard to impress --> makes mistakes --> gets dropped --> long periods on the bench. Repeat. 

The paradox is that an underperforming player needs a settled run in the team to build confidence and experience, but almost by definition, he won't get it. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, mjmooney said:

The trouble with having a shaky player as backup is that they stay shaky. 

Long periods on the bench --> called in for emergencies --> rusty, nervous and trying too hard to impress --> makes mistakes --> gets dropped --> long periods on the bench. Repeat. 

The paradox is that an underperforming player needs a settled run in the team to build confidence and experience, but almost by definition, he won't get it. 

I agree. The only reason I'd have him here as abackup is because we literally have nobody else!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Well it would make more sense him being here than Hull given that we are still paying the bulk of his wages! Moronic move from Bruce.

I think he would be fine as a 3rd choice CB.

I don’t think he was ever any good really, but I agree I’d rather he was here than not given our squad depth issues at CB.

In hind sight I think it was a misguided move... but to be honest at the time I thought it was fine. I don’t rate him, I was happy for him to go, but I did assume that there would be a replacement. Perhaps I’m also moronic! 

25 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I don’t think he was ever any good really, but I agree I’d rather he was here than not given our squad depth issues at CB.

In hind sight I think it was a misguided move... but to be honest at the time I thought it was fine. I don’t rate him, I was happy for him to go, but I did assume that there would be a replacement. Perhaps I’m also moronic! 

No you aren’t it was a reasonable assumption, you’d be hard pushed to find anyone as against Bruce as I was but at the time I had the same assumption.

I don’t think he is particularly good but to waste money on Samba last season and then pay his wages at Hull was criminal by Bruce. It’s one of the reasons I got so angry every time he lied about finances and the restraints he worked under. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

No you aren’t it was a reasonable assumption, you’d be hard pushed to find anyone as against Bruce as I was but at the time I had the same assumption.

I don’t think he is particularly good but to waste money on Samba last season and then pay his wages at Hull was criminal by Bruce. It’s one of the reasons I got so angry every time he lied about finances and the restraints he worked under. 

Totally agree; the samba experiment was a total waste of apparently limited resources.

• Like 1

Letting Elphick go without a replacement when at the time there was only one establishd centre half at the club was criminal. But it was also another Steve Bruce master class move in how to get sacked without it looking too obvious.

Theres no point trying to make sense of any of Bruce’s decisions once new owners took over. He was like an employee working his notice. He no longer really cared and was just thinking show me the money. 

All in my opinion of course. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Letting Elphick go without a replacement when at the time there was only one establishd centre half at the club was criminal. But it was also another Steve Bruce master class move in how to get sacked without it looking too obvious.

Theres no point trying to make sense of any of Bruce’s decisions once new owners took over. He was like an employee working his notice. He no longer really cared and was just thinking show me the money. 

All in my opinion of course. 

I’ve also thought this for a while. It would explain how a defensively minded manager played an ageing DM at CB, let players go on loan in positions we need and didn’t get replacements for obviously crucial roles. 

• Like 2

Â