Tommy Elphick

Demitri_C

He wasn't given much of a chance under Spud and didn't need to be treated the way he was simply because he was a RdM player.

We're up the creek in at CB at the moment and an experienced head like his wouldn't go amiss. 

• Like 3

Despite the BS spouted by Alex Bruce about wages and FFP in defence of his father we are paying the bulk of Tommy’s wages at Hull.

Given the lack of options we have at CB that is an absolute disgraceful decision by Bruce. Whatever his limitations as a player we would have been better off having him since August.

I don’t particularly rate him but given we are already paying most of his wage we may as well have him as an option in our squad. I would say that even if we had 4 CB’s.

Since Smith arrived it’s been fairly nailed on that we would recall him, the injury to Axel makes it a necessity.

That said I still fully expect us to bring in another CB in January.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I think we will see both happen.

I think under a new manager Elphick could be not too bad as a back up option.

I think it’s a stretch to suggest Elphick’s ooor performances were down to Bruce. 

He was shit under RDM, and our defence last season was excellent without him.

Not everything is Steve Bruce’s fault

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think it’s a stretch to suggest Elphick’s ooor performances were down to Bruce. 

He was shit under RDM, and our defence last season was excellent. 

Not everything is Steve Bruce’s fault

You mean the recent Tsunami wasn’t caused by him on holiday in Portugal?

• Haha 2

If we do bring him back he really needs to be just  a stop gap or back up.

We can't have another 5ft 10in CB and expect to be sound defensively in a league like this.

The fact is he isn't good enough for what we want long term, and his contract is up at the end of this season and I don't see us extending it.

So as I say, stop gap u too we can sign better or backup for injuries etc, shouldn't be any more than that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

We can't have another 5ft 10in CB and expect to be sound defensively in a league like this.

The fact is he isn't good enough for what we want long term, and his contract is up at the end of this season and I don't see us extending it.

So as I say, stop gap u too we can sign better or backup for injuries etc, shouldn't be any more than that.

Apparently he is 6ft 2.

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

quite honestly, John Terry aside, we have been sub standard in this dep't for quite some time.

I am amazed that a club like ours has presided over such a poor recruitment of Centre Halves.

In years past, we had iffy players along the way, but always good strong powerful Centre Backs and Goalkeepers.....The spine was usually ok.

I am not privvy to his performances for Hull, but In my experience he always has an error in him, much the same as now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Apparently he is 6ft 2.

I know this is an ongoing joke on here, but no way he's that tall. If he is, he's making himself very small when attacking headers.

If we're paying his wages what the hell is he doing at Hull. What was the thinking from Bruce. Oh yeah, that be knew best and Jedinak is suddenly a centre half. Clearly you didn't Steve.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I’d rather we signed a new CB than recalled Elphick. 

But given how many signings we potentially need at the back I can see the logic in the recall. 

Dont want him starting games though. 

Who says we have money especially when we’ve just spent £7m on a keeper? I’d get Elphick back, he gets a lot of stick on here, I don’t know why, solid centre back for me

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am not privvy to his performances for Hull, but In my experience he always has an error in him, much the same as now.

Their manager and fans seem gutted at the prospect of losing him in Jan. I think he's been playing quite well for them.

10 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

What I’d do for him back

We are in a different place to when we signed them....but you have to set your sights high and aim for them.

I would have said Macca.....but he's once in a life time.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Their manager and fans seem gutted at the prospect of losing him in Jan. I think he's been playing quite well for them.

There is a part of me that's disappointed for Hull.....We wouldn't like it if Chelsea, come calling for Tammy.

I guess its dog eat dog.

We need to sign 2 x centre backs ideally.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I know this is an ongoing joke on here, but no way he's that tall. If he is, he's making himself very small when attacking headers.

If we're paying his wages what the hell is he doing at Hull. What was the thinking from Bruce. Oh yeah, that be knew best and Jedinak is suddenly a centre half. Clearly you didn't Steve.

Can only assume he was very confident of getting the french kid or McKenna in assured Elphick he could go out on loan. When those deals fell through he kept his word. (Plus knew he would get his big pay off anyway so why start breaking promises).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He thought he was getting possibly Moukadi or McKenna in on the last day and wages do have to be considered. If we are paying Elphicks wages it does make it more bizarre.

but just maybe he was trying to get the player game time, just remember, Elphick did make a couple of errors in our first couple of games, so Bruce was trying to eradicate them.

Hindsight is an exact science and he must have thought himself that the decision back fired on him....but hey , how do we know that Elphick would have played as well for us as he has for Hull.....all ifs buts an maybe's.

I don't think referring back to Bruce every time we have a set back , is particularly well thought through......Dean Smith himself doesn't do it and he is more entitled to, why do we.

Its like trying a man twice for the same crime or jailing a man after you have hung him.

We need to put him down...he's gone.

Edited by TRO

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

He thought he was getting possibly Moukadi or McKenna in on the last day and wages do have to be considered. If we are paying Elphicks wages it does make it more bizarre.

but just maybe he was trying to get the player game time, just remember, Elphick did make a couple of errors in our first couple of games, so Bruce was trying to eradicate them.

Hindsight is an exact science and he must have thought himself that the decision back fired on him....but hey , how do we know that Elphick would have played as well for us as he has for Hull.....all ifs buts an maybe's.

I don't think referring back to Bruce every time we have a set back , is particularly well thought through......Dean Smith himself doesn't do it and he is more entitled to, why do we.

Its like trying a man twice for the same crime or jailing a man after you have hung him.

Harsh....but fair 😉

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

I don't really get the thought that suggests our defenders were somehow worse under Bruce. Most of them are now shadows of the players they were last season. 

With that said, our back 4 being ran at, and the space in behind them doesn't bode well for a defender like Elphick. I do think he's a good defender at this level, just not in a system that will exploit his weaknesses as much as ours does. 

And yet the stats (I know, I know, stats) show that in the 12 games Dean Smith has been in charge, we have conceded less goals than the prior 12 games under Bruce, even though we have played stronger teams in nearly all of those games. Tuanzebe for example has looked a significant improvement compared to last season. Hutton, looks the same to me. Chester looks a little shakier, i'll grant you that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TRO said:

Probably because of the mess he left and the mountain we now have to climb. His impact will last a long time. He can't just be absolved of things because he has left with a nice pay off. When Smith has had a couple of transfer windows and a pre-season, then Bruce will no longer be to blame. Until then, he remains fair game for criticism. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Â