Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

Piss poor, really unimpressed with RDM so far. Second game in a row where our levels significantly dropped in the second half. The football isn't very good, we do not create enough chances in the box. Despite this the quality was on the pitch to roll over a side like Derby but yet again we failed to deliver.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

We seem to be holding back in matches when we have the opportunity to go for the kill, and that leads to nervousness later on. I can't work out if thats down to RDM wanting to first establish some solidity and stop getting beaten, or its just the mentality carrying over from last year.

We do look much more organised under RDM than in previous seasons, although the standard of opposition is obviously lower.

• Like 1

Need to use the youngsters as bench options in stead of having the likes of Kozak and 7 defenders.

Lot's of movement but no penetration in the first half, second half was a no show.

Hopefully the new signing will make a huge difference.

20 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Piss poor, really unimpressed with RDM so far. Second game in a row where our levels significantly dropped in the second half. 

I'm hoping that changes once we add a few additions. The bench is so crap that we are practically relying on 11 guys, who like you say, are blowing out of there arses after an hour. I think we are a few additions away from a decent team 

15 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

4 games in, 2 clean sheets, 2 goals conceded.

We had a lot to turn around from last year. The hardest thing is to stem the tide of goals. We've done that (or we're showing signs we have!)

Goals will come as players come in and players gel.

Quietly impressed with RDM after being lukewarm after the first 2 games.

Pretty much.

Going away from home with Westwood and Gardner as your midfield two and coming away with something is pretty remarkable to be honest.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Piss poor, really unimpressed with RDM so far. Second game in a row where our levels significantly dropped in the second half. The football isn't very good, we do not create enough chances in the box. Despite this the quality was on the pitch to roll over a side like Derby but yet again we failed to deliver.

I was mildly sceptical on his appointment but have to say I'm very impressed so far.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

True, RDM should have subbed himself on...:rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We need to just stay within reach, because we're not a million miles away from clicking and being a very good team in this league. 

Yep. Only 3 points behind our main rivals, which is not insurmountable by any means!

• Like 1

Very much agree with Mark's post above.  Don't think we can really criticise him at this stage.  We now look organised, hard to beat and his signings to date appear to be good.  Yes we need a spark up top, but he knows this as well as us.  He's refusing to have players around the squad who don't want to be here and quite frankly I couldn't agree more.  Didn't see too much fight from that Derby/Pearson team today.  Patience is key here and an important ten days of the transfer window left for sure.  Personally, I very much like what I'm hearing and seeing from RDM. 

• Like 3

He's got us to the point where we look like we're nearly there - we've played some good stuff at times and look solid.  Considering where we've come from that's not bad going.

Problem is we're so one dimensional because we've got no options.  Once we get some more attacking options in I think we'll start to see RDM's plan come together.

• Like 2

There is definite improvement. We have the league's best central defence partnership, and the best player in the league over the past four years. We are slowly improving in team performance and not losing every game like last season.

Is that enough? I don't know.

If it wasn't for two goalkeeping errors, we'd be looking at three straight clean sheets and be in the top four (not that league placings matter after four games - at least it'd be encouraging). I think we'd be a lot more excited if that was the case.

Edited by Pilchard
  • Like 4

It's essentially a new team yet we have kept a couple clean sheets. The first goal was a mistake by keeper and 2nd was a freak keeper error.  We have had some tough games so far so I think we should be up there providing we sign another 2-3 players

• Like 2

2 hours ago, andym said:

We seem to be holding back in matches when we have the opportunity to go for the kill, and that leads to nervousness later on. I can't work out if thats down to RDM wanting to first establish some solidity and stop getting beaten, or its just the mentality carrying over from last year.

We do look much more organised under RDM than in previous seasons, although the standard of opposition is obviously lower.

Probably down to the fact he had no attacking talent on the bench! 

• Like 1

We sign three more quality players - a pacey number 9, a creative AM and a proper right winger - then we're laughing.  

All of a sudden we're not relying on the four of Gestede, McCormack, Grealish and Ayew to play 90mins every game and teams can't prepare or adapt so easily against us.  Adding a fwd with pace all of a sudden makes teams need to sit deeper, giving the three behind more space to move within.

Personally can't wait for the final jigsaw pieces to be added in the coming weeks!

• Like 1

Â