Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

4 hours ago, LondonLax said:

How often has a team bought a whole new first 11 then immediately hit the ground running in the league. 

It is always a struggle to integrate so many new players at the same time. 

not often but Southampton and Watford have done a good job in recent seasons with wholesale changes

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mantis said:

How is Garde not a proper manager? He's a proper manager, he just came in at the wrong time.

And initially we were slightly better under Garde (although still not nearly good enough) and obviously he inherited a mess which Sherwood partly created.

Remi Garde is about as qualified as a football manager as me or you. shocking manager and worse than clowns like Mcleish or Houllier that managed us

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Villaphan04 said:

i was just thinking the same thing

Fine lines between success and failure - pity games didn't last 80 minutes as we'd be right up there challenging - whether it's a fitness issue or just lack of concentration we must learn to see out games and with our personnel we have a better chance if we try to kill teams off with another goal rather than try and hang on and defend a one goal lead . 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Remi Garde is about as qualified as a football manager as me or you. shocking manager and worse than clowns like Mcleish or Houllier that managed us

Couldn't agree more. Probably the most stupid appointment weve ever made.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

not often but Southampton and Watford have done a good job in recent seasons with wholesale changes

IT does take time to 'click' - but whilst we are in that interim period - there shouldn't be nothing. There should be the odd victory, the odd good performance. - But we are not even at that stage - there doesn't even seem to be a pattern of play.  

49 minutes ago, hippo said:

IT does take time to 'click' - but whilst we are in that interim period - there shouldn't be nothing. There should be the odd victory, the odd good performance. - But we are not even at that stage - there doesn't even seem to be a pattern of play.  

The problem we have is compounded by our last few years. We have largely a completely new squad this season. And a new manager. And a lack of any sort of identity or "play style" from the previous botched years under Lerner and our "academy".

So the time to 'click' is effectively threefold worse than teams like Southampton, Watford or even Swansea that make smaller changes than we have this season. We have a LOT that needs to be fixed and, typical of Villa, we do it all at the same time and will probably change things before we even get the chance to see the end result.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Who's Pepe? If we are talking about Pep then it's a silly comparison as he is probably the best manager in the world with the richest owners in the world.

I wasn't comparing with Pepe as a manager, that has been interpreted by others.

I was merely saying that Pepe has come in to a new league for him and made an instant difference.....It could be said about Ranieri too.

just saying ,the instant impact can be made.

some folk could say its harder with someone else's players, as they have done.

Yes, we have had a whole team change in mitigation, but we will see.

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

Based on what exactly? The fact that he failed at Villa when the club was at its lowest ebb in decades hardly makes him some sort of terrible manager.

20 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Based on what exactly? The fact that he failed at Villa when the club was at its lowest ebb in decades hardly makes him some sort of terrible manager.

Agreed. Pep Guardiola wouldn't have kept that team up last season. 

• Like 1

Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying there is manager out there we could get who would fill me with confidence or be the right man for the job. What I do know though is it sure as shit aint RDM.

Edited by R.Bear

I hope we can sneak (another) draw this week, then have to target a couple of wins.  Back to the attacking format.  

We can't afford to sit back. Newcastle will bombard us - particularly for the last 10 minutes - so we need to be set up to counter hard and fast and take advantage of them throwing everything forwards.  

Really no point in changing anything now.  I don't have open-ended faith, and we have to get back to the swagger we had early on to show we are going in the right direction.

8 hours ago, Eastie said:

Fine lines between success and failure - pity games didn't last 80 minutes as we'd be right up there challenging - whether it's a fitness issue or just lack of concentration we must learn to see out games and with our personnel we have a better chance if we try to kill teams off with another goal rather than try and hang on and defend a one goal lead . 

Sneaking a draw at home to Newcastle shows lack of ambition and belief - they are not Barcelona and we should attack them - they've lost more than us this season .

• Like 1

Â