Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Ok, so i will redress that.

How can i do much more that quote what the man said.....I'm not in a position to call him a liar.We are all in a world where folk say what they want when it suits them and that changes with their moods or effect on them.

You can have what ever agenda you want on any manager....I' m just quoting what he said.

And all I'm saying is don't try and berate me just because I don't take what he said as indisputable fact.

4 minutes ago, TB said:

But that's an entirely different matter. You said in your earlier post "Pepe has had no time and his players are top quality, so its arguably, harder to make a difference". Not "his predecessors were top quality, so it's arguably harder to make a difference", which seems to be your current stance.

Pepe has had relatively no time.....and his players were already top quality......so in my view, its a tough call to make them even better.......but he has in no time at all.

amazing.

ps sorry if i don't explain myself very well.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Pepe has had relatively no time.....and his players were already top quality......so in my view, its a tough call to make them even better.......but he has in no time at all.

amazing.

ps sorry if i don't explain myself very well.

I think pep has a style and system that's worked for him over many years - the players he's inherited have adapted to it as you'd expect with players of that quality . 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

When you are taking over from the likes of Mancini & Pelligrini and you don't understand its hard to make a positive difference....I'm not sure what to say to you.

some folk would advise the only way is down not up.....this guy has come in and transformed the already acceptable success.

my point is.....The real deals will possibly do that.....It could have got worse for them.

It was a risk to take.....but Man City went for the best and got it......their perception of the best may not have been so, but it looks like their decision making is good.

Woah, hold on, the seasons barely begun, let's see how he eventually fairs come the end of the season. 

I have to say that 80% of us could take charge of Man City and be in the position they are, did he need to do much tinkering? Not really.

Also regarding the Sherwood quote, not that I ever saw it, but from a manager of a new dressing room of players, it would make sense to say they are all your players even if they weren't, just to try make them all feel wanted and part of his team.

Were they his players... Probably not, seems they were paddy's suggestions. 

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

What part of history have I "rehashed"?

That's funny because that wasn't what Sherwood was saying when he was here. He's an absolute charlatan so I certainly take his word as indisputable fact.

Ok proper manager was probably wrong choice of words but it's beyond me how a manager who's only experience was managing Lyon was expected to rescue a team that was rock bottom of the hardest league in the world. At least get a manager that has experience of keeping a team up. 

12 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Woah, hold on, the seasons barely begun, let's see how he eventually fairs come the end of the season. 

I have to say that 80% of us could take charge of Man City and be in the position they are, did he need to do much tinkering? Not really.

Have you watched them?........and the second line ....80 % of us would make them worse than what they was.

he has not even worked in this league before.

16 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Also regarding the Sherwood quote, not that I ever saw it, but from a manager of a new dressing room of players, it would make sense to say they are all your players even if they weren't, just to try make them all feel wanted and part of his team.

Were they his players... Probably not, seems they were paddy's suggestions. 

Sherwood stated for every single player brought in during his tenure that the decision was his, and his alone, and that he had followed several of the players over years. Some of them probably weren't his signings. Some probably were. He washed his hands of all of them afterwards, no matter what.

He isn't Disraeli, and he isn't Mark Twain, but I won't regard anything Sherwood says about Villa as statistics.

Edited by TB

23 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I think pep has a style and system that's worked for him over many years - the players he's inherited have adapted to it as you'd expect with players of that quality . 

So on that parallel is it reasonable to assume a manager who has won the champions league fairly recently ....must be familiar with systems of success.

so after spending 50 million in the transfer market in a league that rely in the main on free transfers....is it not surprising that most fans were expecting a little bit more in the early games.

IMO on that basis....i didn't expect the soft under belly that i have witnessed so far.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

So on that parallel is it reasonable to assume a manager who has won the champions league fairly recently ....must be familiar with systems of success.

so after spending 50 million in the transfer market in a league that rely in the main on free transfers....is it not surprising that most fans were expecting a little bit more in the early games.

IMO on that basis....i didn't expect the soft under belly that i have witnessed so far.

Big difference is we have bought a new team who are are getting to know each other - pep inherited a team already there and tweaked the style and system to suit his way of playing . 

I agree out results should be better but don't think there's a comparison with a manager going to a fairly settled team compared to one bringing in 9 and clearing out 14 .

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think if he loses next two he is in trouble

Can't see them sacking him after Barnsley when we are at Preston 3 days later - surely they would wait till that's over and a 2 week international break . 

IMO it is too early to be thinking of getting rid of RDM.

He has come into a club that was at rock bottom from last season and has massively overhauled the squad so should be given sufficient time to show whether he is up to the job.

Despite a large change in personnel we've become harder to beat and in fact only 4 teams in the league have lost fewer games than us. This in itself could be seen as progress.

Give him a fair crack at this, and hopefully with our forward players / and a more settled team we will start turning these draws into wins.

Keep the faith and have a little patience!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

But all the top teams have top class players. De Bruyne who is arguably the best player in the Premier League right now was disgarded by the current Man U manager. The football City are playing is of  a totally different level to any other Premier League team this season so far. I doubt whether any other manager in the world could do that. Thats my opinion. 

Edited by PaulC

We saw from the transfers that he didn't do enough to strengthen midfield, gambling so much on two players with questionable injury reputations. Personally I would have kept Sanchez - although appreciate he probably didn't want to stay. What is annoying is RDM didn't seem to be in the market for anymore midfielders.

The other issue is we have an embarassment of riches up front and RDM seems determined to play as many of them as possible, we've already learn that incorporating both Ayew and Grealish into a team is tricky as both are prone to keeping possession too long and as a result losing possession in dangerous areas, both are poor at tracking back affectively even if they try harder this season than last. McCormack is similar, he isn't someone who will track back and tackle, neither is Gestede. Now we are trying to accommodate Kodjia and soon Adomah, I have never seen a Villa team play with one single midfielder which happened against Brentford.

I just think RDM needs to keep it simple, stop thinking he is playing in the Champion's League and play the players in their best positions, stop trying to shoe horn fowards in. Adomah and Amavi seem to actually be proper wingers so play them there (appreciate Amavi is a left back but seeing as we need more solidity it makes sense to play him there). Grealish, McCormack and Ayew are all the same type of player, they are not natural wide players and are deployed the best behind the main striker. Appreciate McCormack and Ayew can play up front also if needed.

----------------- Gollini

Bacuna -- Chester -- Elphick -- Cissokho

Adomah -- Tish (or Westwood) -- Jedinak -- Amavi (or Grealish)

---------- McCormack (or Ayew or Grealish)

------------- Kodjia --------------

If Kodjia needs more support in the box take a wide player off and bring Gestede on. In fact bring all the fowards on if we are losing, but don't start with them!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KJT123 said:

Saw a poll on Twitter earlier asking who would the fans rather have now out of the last four managers. Sherwood was leading it on about 50%, which I find absolutely hilarious.

Hilarious? I'd say absurd. I'd have Sherwood over Black, but that's the very definition of damning with faint praise.

Â