Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Tim sherwood explained on " goals on sunday" they were essentially not his players....they had been targetted way before he arrived and that his choices were over looked.

think what you like, but lets get the facts right.

Interesting that he said that - I liked tIm but felt he lost the plot last season - that said if it's true the players signed were not his choices then he should have walked and exposed the people running the club .

Sometimes managers need a little time, and I would argue RDM does need more of it, but you do have to see that the manager has a plan, a system, a method that will bring an improvement in results. I am not sure if I am seeing that he knows what he wants to achieve. Different formations, different selections an unbalanced squad with no seeming plan as to the system he wants to play and buying players that would fit into it.

Just staying with a manager, for stability sake is wrong but then so is changing managers every 10 games or so.

Failing some major calamity I would hope he is given until mid october, if by then there hasn't been any distinct improvements then I wouldnt be upset to see him given his marching orders.

7 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

We don't need stability for the sake of stability though, what we actually need is a manager who knows how to organise a side, to set patterns of play, to give a side a structure and way of playing and who can adapt during games and pick up points. Right now it just doesn't look like Di Matteo is that man.

He will get a few more games I'm sure but not many, he certainly isn't going to get a season if he continues the way he is and neither should he.

It doesn't really matter how many games are left if we can't win any, right now Di Matteo isn't very good at winning games.

That first line is bang on.

1 hour ago, 1974Centenary said:

No different to you keep rehashing history,move on and discuss RDM already.

What part of history have I "rehashed"?

21 minutes ago, TRO said:

Tim sherwood explained on " goals on sunday" they were essentially not his players....they had been targetted way before he arrived and that his choices were over looked.

think what you like, but lets get the facts right.

That's funny because that wasn't what Sherwood was saying when he was here. He's an absolute charlatan so I certainly take his word as indisputable fact.

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

And you're clearly a Sherwood "fan", probably more so than I am of Garde. What's your point?

I think you're re-writing history there. We were dire under Sherwood that season as well.

I'm not a fan of either of them. As I've said numerous times I think sacking him was the right option if we had a proper manager lined up.  From what I saw last season it was worse  under Garde than Sherwood. In my opinion of course. I fail to see how anyone can defend Garde or Sherwood.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mantis said:

What part of history have I "rehashed"?

That's funny because that wasn't what Sherwood was saying when he was here. He's an absolute charlatan so I certainly take his word as indisputable fact.

Don't get all self righteous as to who is the bona fide one.

Tim sherwood most probably said what he said to max out his compensation.....is that surprising in 2015/16.....blimey every page of any newspaper is full of money grabbing charlatans of every dimension from every walk of life.

The Ron Saunders and Graham Taylors have long gone.

I am only quoting what the man said......not agreeing or disagreeing with him.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Give him to at least 10 games. We get 7 points from the next 9 and he is a hero all of a sudden. 

Without undermining management team you would think the CEO and Sporting Director will have replacements in mind if he does get the chop. You'd hope so anyway. 

We have 3 games in a week starting with Newcastle and then a 2 week break - hopefully results will pick up in those 3 games - if not and we have 1 win in 11 and a 2 week break it would be the ideal time to make the decision .

i hope as you suggest that we do turn it around in these games as it would save the upheaval .

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

The only way i would give him the push is under cross examination from the owners, of how the season is going if the explanations were woolly or nebulous....He would be History.

If "time " is to be deemed as a realistic requirement....He needs to explain to the owners how that commodity will help him.

Pepe has had no time and his players are top quality, so its arguably, harder to make a difference.

He has made such a difference its untrue.....nearly every player, looks better.

I really don't understand why it would be harder to make a difference with top quality players. 

Top players shouldn't need that much coaching in order to adapt to new tactics once they have understood how the manager wants the team to play, and bought into his vision. The difficulty would be to make them believe in your vision in the first place, so any new manager reputed to be one of the top managers in the game would have an advantage.

And any player looks better in a team where everyone knows where they (and their team-mates) should be.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TB said:

Tim Sherwood has said many things. While still the Villa manager, he claimed that every single one was his signing, and he had been following some of them for years...

He's exposing no-one but himself.

Well he would say that whilst still at the club. Yes hes promoting himself but theres no reason to disbelieve whats hes saying now. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Well he would say that whilst still at the club. Yes hes promoting himself but theres no reason to disbelieve whats hes saying now. 

Should have had the balls to resign if that was the case and leave with his head held high .

these comments today suggest a weak manager who didn't stand up to them then and I was under the impression Tim was quite outspoken at Spurs .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Oh yes, there is every reason to disbelieve him. He could have welcomed any new signing without putting himself and his knowledge of young footballers across Europe to the forefront at the same time. Why should I believe him now when he's washing his hands of having anything to do with the Villa signings?

I wouldn't trust him further than I can throw him - which would be appx. 4 inches (unless I happened to stand at the edge of a cliff)

Edited by TB
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I'm not a fan of either of them. As I've said numerous times I think sacking him was the right option if we had a proper manager lined up.  From what I saw last season it was worse  under Garde than Sherwood. In my opinion of course. I fail to see how anyone can defend Garde or Sherwood.

How is Garde not a proper manager? He's a proper manager, he just came in at the wrong time.

And initially we were slightly better under Garde (although still not nearly good enough) and obviously he inherited a mess which Sherwood partly created.

30 minutes ago, TRO said:

Don't get all self righteous as to who is the bona fide one.

Tim sherwood most probably said what he said to max out his compensation.....is that surprising in 2015/16.....blimey every page of any newspaper is full of money grabbing charlatans of every dimension from every walk of life.

The Ron Saunders and Graham Taylors have long gone.

I am only quoting what the man said......not agreeing or disagreeing with him.

How am I getting "self righteous"? All I'm saying is that you can't take everything he says (or indeed most managers) at face value. How on Earth is that being self-righteous?

Edited by Mantis

20 minutes ago, TB said:

I really don't understand why it would be harder to make a difference with top quality players. 

Top players shouldn't need that much coaching in order to adapt to new tactics once they have understood how the manager wants the team to play, and bought into his vision. The difficulty would be to make them believe in your vision in the first place, so any new manager reputed to be one of the top managers in the game would have an advantage.

And any player looks better in a team where everyone knows where they (and their team-mates) should be.

When you are taking over from the likes of Mancini & Pelligrini and you don't understand its hard to make a positive difference....I'm not sure what to say to you.

some folk would advise the only way is down not up.....this guy has come in and transformed the already acceptable success.

my point is.....The real deals will possibly do that.....It could have got worse for them.

It was a risk to take.....but Man City went for the best and got it......their perception of the best may not have been so, but it looks like their decision making is good.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

How is Garde not a proper manager? He's a proper manager, he just came in at the wrong time.

And initially we were slightly better under Garde (although still not nearly good enough) and obviously he inherited a mess which Sherwood partly created.

How am I getting "self righteous"? All I'm saying is that you can't take everything he says (or indeed most managers) at face value. How on Earth is that being self-righteous?

Ok, so i will redress that.

How can i do much more that quote what the man said.....I'm not in a position to call him a liar.We are all in a world where folk say what they want when it suits them and that changes with their moods or effect on them.

You can have what ever agenda you want on any manager....I' m just quoting what he said.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

When you are taking over from the likes of Mancini & Pelligrini and you don't understand its hard to make a positive difference....I'm not sure what to say to you.

some folk would advise the only way is down not up.....this guy has come in and transformed the already acceptable success.

my point is.....The real deals will possibly do that.....It could have got worse for them.

It was a risk to take.....but Man City went for the best and got it......their perception of the best may not have been so, but it looks like their decision making is good.

I think the people that pushed for pep had worked with him at Barca and they both knew what they were getting involved with - far better pep than the loose cannon across the city .

with rdm I'm not quite sure who chose him - there were muRmurings xia wanted him as it would go down well in China as he's a big name champions league winner - will be interesting to see how xia plays this as he's been very quiet on Twitter in recent days .

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

But that's an entirely different matter. You said in your earlier post "Pepe has had no time and his players are top quality, so its arguably, harder to make a difference". Not "his predecessors were top quality, so it's arguably harder to make a difference", which seems to be your current stance.

Â