Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

20 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

We don't need stability for the sake of stability though, what we actually need is a manager who knows how to organise a side, to set patterns of play, to give a side a structure and way of playing and who can adapt during games and pick up points. Right now it just doesn't look like Di Matteo is that man.

He will get a few more games I'm sure but not many, he certainly isn't going to get a season if he continues the way he is and neither should he.

It doesn't really matter how many games are left if we can't win any, right now Di Matteo isn't very good at winning games.

. We could have won 3 or 4 of those games quite easily. If you take results of a short period of time like 8 games you dont get the right perspective on it. 

19 minutes ago, PaulC said:

. We could have won 3 or 4 of those games quite easily. If you take results of a short period of time like 8 games you dont get the right perspective on it. 

Lets hope so for RDM's sake because another 8 like the last 8 and i seriously doubt he'll have a job left.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Our woeful results are:

1 Win

5 Draws

2 Losses

I don't think those are woeful results. No great, obviously, need to be better, starting ASAP, but not woeful. We've scored at least one point in 6 out of our 8 games. 

We will have to agree to disagree then.

23 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Right now.... is 8 games in though, I agree I expected more and have been a little perturbed but the unbalanced nature of the starting 11, I personally like to see a more balanced starting 11 even if it means that not all 11 best players are out on the pitch, but surely the combined experience of RDM and Clarke should be able to organise a side and set out patterns of play in order to win games, I think they need time.

I agree, 1 win in 8 league games is not good enough, but 2 loses in 8 signifies that we're not to far away. However of course we need to get those W's if we're serious about promotion, which Xia clearly is, and I am sure that RDM is not happy with results so far.

I think a win against Newcastle could be so important, bring back the belief and the positivity. For me there is still a hangover from last season, where I would at the end of a loss, think right....win the next one and we turn a corner, and it never came, but for me this season feels different, we're nearly there.

I mean, who replaces them? Bruce? How much time do they get? I'd rather stick with RDM & Clarke, this is their squad, they need to find a solution.

Yes, right now which is what I'm judging him on because it is all we have available.

I'm not calling for his head, simply countering the idea that he deserves more time or is being unlucky, I don't think either of those are true.

I'm just not convinced he is able to get the best out of the players he has assembled although I'd love to be proven wrong.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PaulC said:

And we could have lost some of them.

I'm sorry I don't agree it isn't possible to have a perspective on how he is doing in the job over 8 games.

I'm not saying he isn't capable of doing better based on these 8 games but I am saying he needs to and I think should have done better. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I am one of these fans that does believe it takes time, however just a few points to ponder.

• This chesnut has been rolled out as mitigation for the previous managers poor results
  • Do the opposition managers know more about OUR weaknesses than we do ourselves( their tactics seem to suggest so)
  • When results are not forthcoming, you listen to the managers comments/reactions.....they do not fill me with confidence.
  • It seems our search for a solution, centres primarily around Trial & Error.
  • Should we not be looking at a few Free transfers ....to alleviate pressure on the manager and gain some muscle.
  • When should we realistically see the improvement...... to see a game out from a winning position.
  •  

My worry is he does not give me the impression that he has his finger on the pulse and that in time we will have the answers. Having said that I do not want to see a trend where managers are sacked every 5 minutes......its all catch 22 for me.

It was never was going to be easy, But Dr Tone has given it a boost most managers in this division would have been over the moon with.

On your points, just for the sake of conversation

• All managers at all clubs should be always be given some time. Otherwise the job is impossible, rebuilding a team is impossible.
  • This is spurious, IMO. All teams watch and coach to deal with other sides strength and weaknesses. All sides are aware of their own strengths and shortcomings. By and large this current Villa side has a mental flaw, a hangover from the last few seasons. I am 100% certain RDM and SC know where our problems lie.
  • Fair enough. That's a wholly personal judgement. We don't know what is being said to the players, but it is clear from observation that there's an issue with resilience and it's clear there are issues with the pattern of play and which players to play in which roles, to a degree. Injuries and having to do a major rebuild haven't helped, mind.
  • Possibly. With a game every few days, there's not much time to do much else, sadly, It's the nature of the league we're in. When there are breaks, half the players are off around the world doing qualifiers.
  • Whatever. I'm pretty sure the club is looking at players all the time.
  • Personally, I think about 10 games is where you'd hope to see good signs of things settling down. That's not far off. The pressure is on. 2 wins and everyone's suddenly much happier, 2 defeats and it's throat slitting time.

I just think and thought before the season started that Villa would struggle for a good while at the start of the season. It's almost the law that a side relegated as a shambles will not immediately turn into a winning machine the next season. It almost never happens.

I have no idea, really, of the abilities and qualities of managers. I know there are a number I detest, mostly for irrational reasons (or because they're Redknapp) and then there are the rest, with a few at the very top who pretty much guarantee results will be good. But they're all in top leagues.

I can't change the manager, I can't choose the next manager. There's (for me) absolutely no point me bothering myself worrying about whether RDM is right or not. It is what it is.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, blandy said:

On your points, just for the sake of conversation

• All managers at all clubs should be always be given some time. Otherwise the job is impossible, rebuilding a team is impossible.
  • This is spurious, IMO. All teams watch and coach to deal with other sides strength and weaknesses. All sides are aware of their own strengths and shortcomings. By and large this current Villa side has a mental flaw, a hangover from the last few seasons. I am 100% certain RDM and SC know where our problems lie.
  • Fair enough. That's a wholly personal judgement. We don't know what is being said to the players, but it is clear from observation that there's an issue with resilience and it's clear there are issues with the pattern of play and which players to play in which roles, to a degree. Injuries and having to do a major rebuild haven't helped, mind.
  • Possibly. With a game every few days, there's not much time to do much else, sadly, It's the nature of the league we're in. When there are breaks, half the players are off around the world doing qualifiers.
  • Whatever. I'm pretty sure the club is looking at players all the time.
  • Personally, I think about 10 games is where you'd hope to see good signs of things settling down. That's not far off. The pressure is on. 2 wins and everyone's suddenly much happier, 2 defeats and it's throat slitting time.

I just think and thought before the season started that Villa would struggle for a good while at the start of the season. It's almost the law that a side relegated as a shambles will not immediately turn into a winning machine the next season. It almost never happens.

I have no idea, really, of the abilities and qualities of managers. I know there are a number I detest, mostly for irrational reasons (or because they're Redknapp) and then there are the rest, with a few at the very top who pretty much guarantee results will be good. But they're all in top leagues.

I can't change the manager, I can't choose the next manager. There's (for me) absolutely no point me bothering myself worrying about whether RDM is right or not. It is what it is.

I agree with the rest of your post (as I do with most of your posts), but is the bolded bit different in any way from worrying about (and being unable to choose or change) squad / 1st 11 selections, tactics, team-talk, in-game management)?

Edited by TB

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I thought yesterday was a shocker though, that was type of performance I would expect from an Eric Black team going to Emirates or Old Trafford not bloody Ipswich

An Eric Black team would have lost 4-0 and would have started Gabby as well as Richards. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

And we could have lost some of them.

I'm sorry I don't agree it isn't possible to have a perspective on how he is doing in the job over 8 games.

I'm not saying he isn't capable of doing better based on these 8 games but I am saying he needs to and I think should have done better. 

Yes he should have done better I agree but its too knee-jerk to get rid of him just yet. 

I'm not comfortable with the calling for RDM to be sacked, media having polls on whether/when he should be sacked etc. I think it builds up an unnecessary pressure on the whole club and together with booing the players creates a toxic atmosphere.

What would changing manager right now lead to? Most probably we would waste a couple of week getting the right manager (if such a manager really is available), the new manager would need weeks to get to know the players, trying to find out what formation etc that would suit us. RDM and his team have bought many new players, it would be very disruptive for them having a new manager come in with uncertainty if he rates the players or not.

From what I have seen Dr Tony, Wyness and co are starting to build up a proper organization and Dr Tony has supported RDM in an unprecedented way in the Championship. We have an almost completely new starting eleven and the management team have had limited time to work with the players.

I just don't understand the suggestion to sack RDM right now when we for the first time in a very long time have stability and a foundation to build upon. In parts we have played some great football in the last games, and although I was very worried about the last minutes of yesterdays game, there have surly also been many positives in the last games to build on. I haven't heard any reports of him loosing the dressing room or him not being fully comitted. Sacking RDM would be a big risk and we are not yet in a situation where we need to flip the coin. I hope Dr Tony, Wyness and co (and RDM) are strong enough not to fall under the pressure.

The start of the season has been disappointing, but I believe the best for the club at the moment would be to show support and not yet call for drastic changes. 

Edited by Keener window-cleaner
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, NoelVilla said:

and failed miserably while doing so. This clown assembled a terrible squad. 

A high line against a pacy Southampton team and then the same in the **** FA Cup final. The guy was as tactically aware as my nan.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Richard said:

I think some fans have forgotten what appointing them achieved 

That's the whole point! If you are going to sack a manager after a few games then you have to have a good replacement. Sherwood was sacked at the right time but the wrong man replaced him. We were better off keeping Sherwood. So unless there is a replacement lined up better than RDM then sacking him well lead to a bigger decline. 

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That's the whole point! If you are going to sack a manager after a few games then you have to have a good replacement. Sherwood was sacked at the right time but the wrong man replaced him. We were better off keeping Sherwood. So unless there is a replacement lined up better than RDM then sacking him well lead to a bigger decline. 

I doubt sacking Sherwood lead to a bigger decline. Yes Garde was the wrong man (although merely at the wrong time IMO) but the club was absolutely **** and on its knees by the time Sherwood went. Even now it's still pretty **** up.

2 hours ago, TB said:

is the bolded bit different in any way from worrying about (and being unable to choose or change) squad / 1st 11 selections, tactics, team-talk, in-game management)?

Thanks. You're right, it's no different, and to be honest I gave up worrying about those as well, some time ago. That's not the same as saying that after the event I'm not pleased/disappointed/angry/ecstatic or whatever. But I've decided 2 things. Firstly I don't know enough about it to really have anything useful to contribute and that secondly rather than helping me enjoy football more, worrying about stuff like who's the manager, or who's in the team, or 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 or who we might sign or sell or whatever just does my head in.

I know most people aren't like that, but I think I've just become a bit uninterested in it all. The next game I go to in a couple of weeks, I'll sing and shout and all that, but basically I'll just see what happens and then forget about it.

4 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I doubt sacking Sherwood lead to a bigger decline. Yes Garde was the wrong man (although merely at the wrong time IMO) but the club was absolutely **** and on its knees by the time Sherwood went. Even now it's still pretty **** up.

I disagree. Under Sherwood we were shit. Under Garde we were a f**king disagree. 

But overall point is both appointments were shit so sacking RDM will achieve nothing without a decent replacement. 

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I disagree. Under Sherwood we were shit. Under Garde we were a f**king disagree. 

But overall point is both appointments were shit so sacking RDM will achieve nothing without a decent replacement. 

It was a broken dressing room by that point, overseen by Timmy.

Â