Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

Well that's where the fan base splits in two !

For every person I talk to who says that, there is one (as I am ) who says that all things considered, he has done a good job, got us playing football, removed the cancers, been unlucky not to have more points, made good progress gelling a brand new time and creating a decent spirit, and that the one thing we don't need is people 'putting pressure' on him (the owner ? that's up to him).

I don't think those who say its not good enough are considering 'all things' at all, I think they are considering just two.  We've spent a lot of money and we haven't won enough.

Agreed.

Why rush to a conclusion, when we've barely got started?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

1 win in 7 games just isn't good enough all things considered. Pressure is going to come from fans, media and you'd expect the owner pretty quickly.

Having another home game so quickly is either going to be a blessing or a curse.

Let's put this into perspective, Brighton are going to be in the playoffs, and we are only 2 points behind them, still every chance Villa could win the league, IMO we have been playing some really good stuff, just a few unlucky goals conceded can completely change things, but as I said, Brighton will be up there and we are only 2 points behind them.

We are ten points behind Huddersfield but we will finish above them, long long season with many twists to come. 

• Like 1

We MUST win the next game to be taken seriously as a contender for promotion. We need to put together a string of 8 wins in the next 10 games or so. Otherwise we'll be looking down rather than up.

I think Christmas time will be the period to decide whether we twist or stick with RDM.

45 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Anybody calling for RDM's head this early into the season, with a brand new team is absolutely bonkers. 

He really needs to start making sensible decisions from the sideline

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

We MUST win the next game to be taken seriously as a contender for promotion. We need to put together a string of 8 wins in the next 10 games or so. Otherwise we'll be looking down rather than up.

I think Christmas time will be the period to decide whether we twist or stick with RDM.

No need to panic and we do not have to win 8 out of 10 - last season Barnsley were 24th and very bottom at Xmas and ended up promoted - palace went from the relegation zone at Xmas to promotion recently too - there are 46 games and plenty of time to get up there - obviously we need to finish teams off but the signs are good that we will get better as the season goes on 

• Like 2

Not sure people are saying that De Mateo should be sacked yet. What they are saying is that results cannot continue like this for Villa and if they do then the manager will come under increasing pressure.

No harm in saying that. I don't think anyone felt Villa would be looking downward after six games. Results so far haven't been good enough and that's a fact but performances have in general been excellent without getting the points those performances deserve.

In the games I've seen, De Mateo has the Villa playing a brand of football I haven't seen Villa play in a very long time. He needs and the team needs more time to turn those displays into the wins that they deserve but they will need to come soon as there is already a gap developing and that may be insurmountable after the 15 game stage.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, striker said:

Not sure people are saying that De Mateo should be sacked yet. What they are saying is that results cannot continue like this for Villa and if they do then the manager will come under increasing pressure.

No harm in saying that. I don't think anyone felt Villa would be looking downward after six games. Results so far haven't been good enough and that's a fact but performances have in general been excellent without getting the points those performances deserve.

In the games I've seen, De Mateo has the Villa playing a brand of football I haven't seen Villa play in a very long time. He needs and the team needs more time to turn those displays into the wins that they deserve but they will need to come soon as there is already a gap developing and that may be insurmountable after the 15 game stage.

I think this is a fair assessment - really we have played well in patches in all games this season and yesterday we dominated totally - we have hit the woodwork countless times missing chances galore - those chances will start going in soon and someone will get a real hammering - would love it be against Newcastle :)

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

I think he's starting with to many flair players, it means we create chances when our opposition is trying to hold on but as soon as they try and attack us we have problems stemming their chances.

Let's start with more in the middle who can help hold on to the game, start Westwood , Gardner , Bacuna and Tish or Jed if they are fit, but start 4 , play 44 2 with the 4 in the middle being more defensive minded midfielders .

He needs a full season.

5 minutes ago, tinker said:

I think he's starting with to many flair players, it means we create chances when our opposition is trying to hold on but as soon as they try and attack us we have problems stemming their chances.

Let's start with more in the middle who can help hold on to the game, start Westwood , Gardner , Bacuna and Tish or Jed if they are fit, but start 4 , play 44 2 with the 4 in the middle being more defensive minded midfielders .

He needs a full season.

I wouldn't want to go with 4 of those 5 to be honest mate - Gardner and Westwood are too lightweight and bacuna is better wide - I think we will rely on output attack to score more goals to win games - they are getting the chances .

Had either jedinak or tish started yesterday I think we would have won - Westwood and Gardner together are dreadful - I like the football we are playing - just need to sharpen up with the finishing and cut out the silly mistakes . 

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Anybody calling for RDM's head this early into the season, with a brand new team is absolutely bonkers. 

What if Dr Tony starts calling for his head?

His latest tweet seems to be moving in that direction. Has certainly ruled out the "bad luck/rub of the green" excuse from now on.

Edited by briny_ear

4 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

What if Dr Tony starts calling for his head?

His latest tweet seems to be moving in that direction. Has certainly ruled out the "bad luck/rub of the green" excuse from now on.

I honestly don't think Tony has any immediate plans to sack his manager. 

Â