Roberto Di Matteo

meme

2 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Did you read the rest of the post?? RDM took over with a few months left. He never assembled the squad. Was it Blacks team that got relegated? Or Garde's? Or Sherwoods? 

Had Garde had lead us to safety, would he have not deserved massive credit for that? Hypothetically of course. 

I'm not a huge RDM fan by any stretch, I have serious doubts for many reasons, but the clamour to diminish his achievements is quite strange. 

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Welcome to the mad house please be good because we can't afford you not to be . Manure have appointed the special one you need to be the bloody amazing extra special one . Sign some good players and coach them right . Get rid of the shit and poison and we might start a turn around 

This is what i worry about. To a certain extent this appointment reminds me of Moyes at UTD, an absolute sh#t pit of a situation with a public expecting promotion at the first attempt. I think we really have to go some to put ourselves in he promotion mix, and worry that the next manager will suffer from unrealistic expectation and therefore struggle. 

7 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Did you read the rest of the post?? RDM took over with a few months left. He never assembled the squad. Was it Blacks team that got relegated? Or Garde's? Or Sherwoods? 

So it was AVB that won the CL?

Weren't chelsea 3-1 down to Napoli after a last 16 first leg tie?

Also, wasn't RDM the assistant all season. Fair to say he had some influence on the squad?

But let's think about your point regarding GARDE. Your basically saying that Garde shouldn't be shouldered with the blame for relegation because it wasn't his squad. It's a belief that goes across football that managers should be given a bit of leeway for not achieving goals with squads that aren't there's....... Garde is an example. Klopp etc.

With that in mind, shouldn't RDM be given more credit for succeeding with a squad that wasn't his.

Or should would we just take each scenario on its own merit and throw in a bit of common sense for good measure.

Chelsea were 3-1 down to napoli I believe. He brought back terry, lamps and a couple of others for the 2nd leg. Had been left out by AVB. And they ended up battering napoli 4-1 or something.

I think it's fair to say that RDM played his part in the CL win.

Di Matteo was also tactically astute enough to play defensive when it made sense. They wouldn't have lifted the Champions League under AVB because he would have likely taken the fight to Barcelona. Di Matteo took flak for how he setup against Barcelona even though it worked, sometimes as a manager you have to learn when to attack and when to be defensive. We know that Di Matteo can do attacking football just look at West Brom in their promotion year they scored like 89 goals, but he also knows when to sit back and absorb the punishment. I think he'll be a good manager for us. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Di Matteo was also tactically astute enough to play defensive when it made sense. They wouldn't have lifted the Champions League under AVB because he would have likely taken the fight to Barcelona. Di Matteo took flak for how he setup against Barcelona even though it worked, sometimes as a manager you have to learn when to attack and when to be defensive. We know that Di Matteo can do attacking football just look at West Brom in their promotion year they scored like 89 goals, but he also knows when to sit back and absorb the punishment. I think he'll be a good manager for us. 

Also, he picked Ryan Bertrand to play left wing in front of Ashley Cole in the final to help against Robben.  He'd never played a European game before that night, which showed balls from Di Matteo to throw him in there like that.  I doubt that was Terry and Drogba's idea.  He's shown he can be successful at the lower levels, the highest level, playing attractive football and playing anti-football, if we can get his backroom staff the way he wants it and enough money to get the right players, we should be on to a winner.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Also, he picked Ryan Bertrand to play left wing in front of Ashley Cole in the final to help against Robben.  He'd never played a European game before that night, which showed balls from Di Matteo to throw him in there like that.  I doubt that was Terry and Drogba's idea.  He's shown he can be successful at the lower levels, the highest level, playing attractive football and playing anti-football, if we can get his backroom staff the way he wants it and enough money to get the right players, we should be on to a winner.

So matteo did a big Ron then when he played Fenton against Utd completely left field that! I'd call that astute! 

39 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

That was, looking back on it now, an incredibly ballsy move. If you were a Chelsea fan that night you'd be looking at Bertrand up against Robben and thinking this guy, RDM, is a **** amateur. 

Whether it worked or not is up for debate. I was far too inebriated to remember. But it does show a capability to think outside the box, in not just a pressurised situation but possibly the most pressurised situation there is in world sports. It's like England utilising, well, Ryan Bertrand at left wing in a world cup final. Unthinkable. 

The way I see it, RDM can go one of two ways. He'll either be an unmitigated disaster and we will be calling for his head by Christmas or he'll take us a very long way, very quickly, before swanning off to manage Real Madrid.

I hope it's the latter, obviously!

He's not the perfect manager, he wouldn't be becoming manager of Aston Villa right now if he was. However he has an impressive set of achievements and I am really struggling to think of any other viable alternatives right now. 

I just hope he has the balls to make the big decisions we need, something which has been missing in a lot of our recent managers. It's not going to be an easy job, we were already pretty much a poisoned chalice and in the Championship it's not going to get any easier with out current state. 

Hopefully in a years time we will be talking about what a great appointment he is. 

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The way I see it, RDM can go one of two ways. He'll either be an unmitigated disaster and we will be calling for his head by Christmas or he'll take us a very long way, very quickly, before swanning off to manage Real Madrid.

I think he'd rather want to link up with Bacuna at Barcelona, to be frank. :detect:

• Like 1

Just now, meme said:

I think he'd rather want to link up with Bacuna at Barcelona, to be frank. :detect:

Ah Bacuna.. What a legend, far too good for this club and the Premier League.. He could talk such a good game, knew the Champions League like the back of his hand. Barcelona are lucky to have him.. :blink:

Actually think this could be the best appointment we have made in over ten years, he's certainly a well decorated manager which cannot be denied. 

He's young, managed at the highest level, will have money to burn (supposedly), and if he balls up, he'll probably get sacked sharpish, don't think the Dr will tolerate failure.

Di Matteo played in the two of the best leagues in the world. Now I am a sceptic of good players being good managers. Its almost always the other way around but Di Matteo was a good smart player. The smart players have a better chance of succeeding in management. The best most recent example are Diego Simeone.

Di Matteo have had success with the English clubs he managed. He had one year in the Bundesliga. Regardless of how that went it is experience that is very valuable.

Could we do much better? Thinking about it I seriously doubt it.

• Like 3

Our next manager has

Gains promotion to Premiership - Great

Wins FA Cup - Even better

Wins Champions League - Bloody brilliant get him signed up quick

Is Roberto Di Matteo............damn

Why do I feel like this?

Edited by mykeyb

13 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Now I am a sceptic of good players being good managers.

From the little we have seen from Zidane at Madrid, he is indeed a fairly good manager. Only problem is anyone can be a 'fairly good' manager at Real Madrid. (par Benitez)

Edited by meme

8 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Our next manager has

Why do I feel like this?

Probably because you're not that familiar with him, I'm not either but am looking forward to seeing him in charge.

27 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Our next manager has

Why do I feel like this?

Largely because fans with short attention spans made him out to be a villain. Ask any West Brom fan and they will likely forget that he got them promoted and just talk about how he didn't get them top half in their first season back. Chelsea fans will always discredit his Champions League and FA Cup triumphs, instead focusing on the fact he got them eliminated from the Champions League in the group stage and got fired (despite the team being 2nd in the league at the time). He's received undue hate from ungrateful fans it's hard not to see him negatively despite the fact that his accomplishments in such a short time make him nothing short of a prodigy compared to most managers, I mean he's only been in the management game for approximately 4 years.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Our next manager has

Why do I feel like this?

I feel the same way.  I just can't help but feel for the position we are in that Pearson would have been the much better candidate,  and I don't know why.  

Edited by PieFacE

1 minute ago, Daweii said:

Largely because fans with short attention spans made him out to be a villain. Ask any West Brom fan and they will likely forget that he got them promoted and just talk about how he didn't get them top half in their first season back. Chelsea fans will always discredit his Champions League and FA Cup triumphs, instead focusing on the fact he got them eliminated from the Champions League in the group stage and got fired (despite the team being 2nd in the league at the time). He's received undue hate from ungrateful fans it's hard not to see him negatively despite the fact that his accomplishments in such a short time make him nothing short of a prodigy compared to most managers, I mean he's only been in the management game for approximately 4 years.

Which leads onto us; we have no standards any more. He could forge a team that could play his style out of he spotlight. We've been in and out of relegation battles so much that if we do get back to the Premier League, anything above 16th will be perfect. It's like were jigsaw pieces fitting together.