Roberto Di Matteo

meme

Yes we need to get RDM in now really, we don't even have a pre season schedule yet finalised which is pretty worrying.

If you look back to summer 2006 though we were in a very similar state and yet made a very good start to the season so we'll see what the club feels like in August.

I imagine though we won't be able to do any serious transfers until the takeover is allowed.

O'Neill joined under Ellis but was obviously 100% certain that Lerner wouldn't be far behind him. I think any new manager is going to want to be certain that this sale will go through and be approved by the FL as if it isn't you are coming into a circus with the same clown running things going forward.

The way Hollis and Xia have spoken suggested that they expected an appointment to be made within two weeks of when the takeover was announced. We are now approaching that stage. Whether or not that was based on FL approval being given with in that two weeks who knows.

The longer we go without a manager though the harder the job becomes for him in terms of assembling a squad and staff and getting it all to gel to give us any chance of promotion. We don't even have arrangements in place for pre season yet which starts in 3 or 4 weeks.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

If it is RDM and has been agreed, i bet in the background they have been working up plans for next season so when it is ratified a lot will already be planned.

Then,why dosent Hollis ( with approval from Xai ) go ahead and sign RDM up and then start arranging friendlies,trying to sign 1/2 players and even letting a few go ?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Then,why dosent Hollis ( with approval from Xai ) go ahead and sign RDM up and then start arranging friendlies,trying to sign 1/2 players and even letting a few go ?

How does anyone actually know what they are, or ARE not doing?:rolleyes:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yes we need to get RDM in now really, we don't even have a pre season schedule yet finalised which is pretty worrying.

If you look back to summer 2006 though we were in a very similar state and yet made a very good start to the season so we'll see what the club feels like in August.

I imagine though we won't be able to do any serious transfers until the takeover is allowed.

true but MON took over a team with Mellberg, Barry, Angel, Laursen and few more solid pros. also had decent youngsters blooded by DOL season before

at moment we have nothing like that

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

..because what manager would join us when the takeover is still, for all intents are purposes, uncertain? As a manager you'd surely want to know, with 100% certainty, that the takeover will go through, otherwise why take the risk?

MON for a start

Also, where do you draw the line? What if there is a problem with one of the leagues? What if it takes 2 months to resolve? Do we start pre-season with Eric Black in charge?

A line needs to be drawn. If a certain manager (RDM for example) doesn't want to join us in case the takeover fails, then there isn't much that can be done. However, firstly it would unlikely be the case and secondly, we don't know until he is offered.

Anyone else worried that he won't hang around forever?  Not that I particularly want him or anything, but if they do then the duration of this fit and proper test is making me restless.  It's like our entire club's existence is on hold until some bigwig gives us the thumbs up.  Hurry TFU.

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

Anyone else worried that he won't hang around forever?  Not that I particularly want him or anything, but if they do then the duration of this fit and proper test is making me restless.  It's like our entire club's existence is on hold until some bigwig gives us the thumbs up.  Hurry TFU.

I'd think he is aware of that and if it was a problem he would have done a Moyes by now.

• Like 1

Just now, Richard said:

I'd think he is aware of that and if it was a problem he would have done a Moyes by now.

Yeah you're probably right.  He'll no doubt be aware.  In fact maybe I have it the wrong way around.  Maybe the fact that he hasn't gone elsewhere at this point is a clear sign that he will manage at Villa providing the F&P test goes Xia's way.

52 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

MON for a start

MON joined with 100% certainty - he was approached by Lerner, met with Lerner and Lerner's people, signed a contract drafted up by Lerner on behalf of a football club which Lerner was absolutely committed to already owning and came to work at Villa Park for Lerner. The fact that Ellis was still on the leather chair when he arrived was entirely inconsequential.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

MON joined with 100% certainty - he was approached by Lerner, met with Lerner and Lerner's people, signed a contract drafted up by Lerner on behalf of a football club which Lerner was absolutely committed to already owning and came to work at Villa Park for Lerner. The fact that Ellis was still on the leather chair when he arrived was entirely inconsequential.

So not different from this current situation then?

RDM will have been approached by the new owners and can quire easily have his contract drafted up by the new owners and come here to work for the new owner.

The fact that Hollis is in the chair is inconsequential.

Lets not pretend this is some pipe dream, grasping onto a wing and  prayer. It is the culmination of weeks of intense negotiations and has been announced as happening by the club.

1 hour ago, Butterfingers said:

MON for a start

Also, where do you draw the line? What if there is a problem with one of the leagues? What if it takes 2 months to resolve? Do we start pre-season with Eric Black in charge?

A line needs to be drawn. If a certain manager (RDM for example) doesn't want to join us in case the takeover fails, then there isn't much that can be done. However, firstly it would unlikely be the case and secondly, we don't know until he is offered.

The Lerner deal was virtually done when MON was signed up, in fact the whole unveiling of MON, with Doug at the press conference, was pretty much an ego thing, with Lerner allowing Doug to pretty much act as though this was all him. Clearly MON had the green light from Lerner, and the press conference was just a nice gesture to an elderly, ego-maniacal outgoing chairman. 

But I think you're misunderstanding my point. I'm not necessarily saying that the club shouldn't appoint a manager now. What I'm saying is that from a prospective managers point of view things are risky right now, and until the takeover has been completed it's unlikely we'd even have anyone want to join us until the future of the club is clear.

It's most likely the case that RDM is for all intents and purposes rapped up, but the entire deal is conditional on Dr X getting approval. No immanent approval, no RDM, it's as simple as that.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

So not different from this current situation then?

RDM will have been approached by the new owners and can quire easily have his contract drafted up by the new owners and come here to work for the new owner.

The fact that Hollis is in the chair is inconsequential.

Lets not pretend this is some pipe dream, grasping onto a wing and  prayer. It is the culmination of weeks of intense negotiations and has been announced as happening by the club.

Absolutely - but you'd said the opposite when you'd said MON was a manager who had come in without 100% certainty on a change of ownership.

Provided the takeover is where we hope it is and where it should be, I don't see any benefit in delaying an appointment. 

• Like 1

This all really boils down to whether Hollis knows what he is doing, or doesn't know what he is doing.

Whilst its impossible to know for sure, I'm going with his record suggesting he knows what he is doing, and all this panic is for nothing.

26 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's most likely the case that RDM is for all intents and purposes rapped up, but the entire deal is conditional on Dr X getting approval. No immanent approval, no RDM, it's as simple as that.

Honestly I think this is the least likely case. Look at it from RDM's POV: to hit the ground running at the start of the season, you'd want to be in post ASAP so you have as much time as possible before the championship kicks off. If you're worried about the ownership situation, you get a clause in your contract so the club pays you off if the takeover fails. The club should have no issues with this since the clause would void when Dr X passes both fit and proper persons tests.

In my opinion, the most likely case is that there's some kinks to iron out around some mundane, generic BS that will be sorted in a few days, at which point he'll sign. Completely unrelated to the fit and proper persons test IMO which could carry on for a few weeks more possibly since I don't believe we're officially a Football League club yet.

The club wouldn't agree to that @Godders because in the scenario where Dr.X doesn't pass the F&P test, Lerner then has to effectively compensate a manager that someone else chose.  The current ownership would never agree to that, nor should they.

• Like 1