Roberto Di Matteo

meme

34 minutes ago, John said:

Still no confirmation. Are we waiting for the Doctor to turn up at BHX and head for a press conference before we make this appointment or to get all of RDM's staff signed up or are we waiting for the F&P test before we do it or have we not yet decided RDM despite being 1/9 or 1/10 with those bookies still offering prices is the man for us? :unsure:  

I would imagine they will be waiting for the ok from the League before they can confirm the new owner, and only then would they be able to confirm the new manager.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

I would imagine they will be waiting for the ok from the League before they can confirm the new owner, and only then would they be able to confirm the new manager.

They don't need to, they're working close with Hollis, so he can appoint the new manager on Xia's behalf without any fuss.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Also, unless he's avoided football completely for the last year, he will have a good idea of which of our players are good/bad. 

Which of our players are good/bad?

The bad ones are:

fTTBLia.gif

Funny how people are saying Newcastles squad is ok whereas ours is rubbish - I don't think they are any good at all, (they couldn't beat us FFS !, they did get relegated just like us, ) and Benitez will have just as hard a job to do as our guy, with the advantage being he already knows their strengths and weaknesses. Just because they rallied a bit shouldn't/doesn't obscure the overall position.  Newcastle fans would be right to be no more confident/less confident than us. Who knows, we may even relegate them again lol.

Just saying.

If we get Di Matteo he will be the 3rd European Cup winner in charge since 2006, amazingly our other managers since DOL have all been quite decorated as players or managers so seems club was just looking at their honours on WIkipedia :P 

32 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Funny how people are saying Newcastles squad is ok whereas ours is rubbish - I don't think they are any good at all, (they couldn't beat us FFS !, they did get relegated just like us, ) and Benitez will have just as hard a job to do as our guy, with the advantage being he already knows their strengths and weaknesses. Just because they rallied a bit shouldn't/doesn't obscure the overall position.  Newcastle fans would be right to be no more confident/less confident than us. Who knows, we may even relegate them again lol.

Just saying.

Newcastle's squad is way better than ours.  Krul/Elliot/Darlow, Townsend, Cissoko, Mitrovic, Lascelles, Shelvey and Janmaat are better than anything we've got in any of those respective positions.  You'd be mad to think otherwise.  They also came close to avoiding relegation - we were nowhere near!

Keeping Benitez is huge and he'll likely persuade most of those to stay with the club, too.  Favourites to win the league IMO.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Sorry. 17 pathetic points says your massively wrong.

I am not wrong mate.  Take 5 Arsenal players and add 6 of our poorest players - e.g. Guzan, Richards, Bacuna, Lescot, Richardson and Gabby upfront.  Would they get loads of points?  Probably not I would say because they would be shipping in goals for fun.  Would that make the 5 Arsenal players shit?  No. 

• Like 1

Apart from Amavi and Ayew the rest of the squad is poor IMO. RDM has a massive task ahead of him.

As for Newcastle, if Benitez had been given the job earlier in the season and Krul not picked up his injury I suspect they would still be a Premier League club now. If they can keep the nucleus of their squad and get a decent striker they'll be my favourites to go up next season.

Edited by Supervillan78

6 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

I am not wrong mate.  Take 5 Arsenal players and add 6 of our poorest players - e.g. Guzan, Richards, Bacuna, Lescot, Richardson and Gabby upfront.  Would they get loads of points?  Probably not I would say because they would be shipping in goals for fun.  Would that make the 5 Arsenal players shit?  No. 

Eh? There isn't any player in our squad anywhere near the level of the arsenal players. There's only 2/3 that would merit a lower half premier league status after last season. The rest are clearly not good enough 

4 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Eh? There isn't any player in our squad anywhere near the level of the arsenal players. There's only 2/3 that would merit a lower half premier league status after last season. The rest are clearly not good enough 

The point is you cannot judge the quality of a squad by looking at points alone i.e. "17 pathetic points says your massively wrong."  That is just too simplistic.  I would argue that the likes of Okore, Gueye, Ayew, Traoré, Amavi, Gil, Lyden, Gestede, Grealish etc. could do well for us in the championship IF, as I say, RDM can keep them.

Edit.  To be clear I am not saying we don't have a very poor overall squad, I am saying that everyone in it is not poor.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

The point is you cannot judge the quality of a squad by looking at points alone i.e. "17 pathetic points says your massively wrong."  That is just too simplistic. 

I agree with this that you can't judge a squad just by its points total. Look at Chelsea for instance.

However I watched every home game this season in the flesh, went to a few away and seen every other game on the box/a stream and this really is a poor squad of players that did indeed warrant just 17 points. We weren't unlucky, we didn't have a disproportional amount of injuries.  I can't think of many games where we deserved more than what we got, maybe at a push 3 or 4. Conversely you could argue of the three wins we got all season we rode our luck in two of those against Palace and Bournemouth.

The only mitigating factor you could put forward is that they were managed by poor managers although the one who managed them for the vast majority of games we have as a fan base pretty much given a free pass to due to the quality of the squad he inherited.

This for me is sadly the worst squad of players I can recall in knocking on 35 years following us and one of the worst squads to have graced the Premier League. The points total is a true reflection of its ability and needs a major rebuild.

• Like 3