Roberto Di Matteo

meme

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He was meant be future England international, not sure if injuries or attitude but last I heard I think he was in MLS. another Luke Moore probably

Well, I've followed him since my tip. He had a great season for Derby in the Championship when they got promoted. He wasn't too bad in his first premier league season for them too. He also looked head and shoulders above the rest during his stint in the England under 21s. Basically Huddlestone was by far the best prospect Derby had produced for a while up until Barnes and those who oversaw both players development considered Barnes to be at least twice as good as Huddlestone, better technically, more skillful and a lot more pace. 

It was basically injuries which ruined him, he was fast tracked into the Derby first team by the age of 16/17, but was picking up injuries at that age. He was rushed back into the first team because he was that good and contributed massively in their promotion season, but these injuries persisted over the next couple of seasons. He had major knee surgery when he was like 19-20 and really, that was it for him, it took a away crucial development and he wasn't the same player. He had a run at West Brom but just wasn't the same, but he's having a pretty good MLS career right now. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Well, I've followed him since my tip. He had a great season for Derby in the Championship when they got promoted. He wasn't too bad in his first premier league season for them too. He also looked head and shoulders above the rest during his stint in the England under 21s. Basically Huddlestone was by far the best prospect Derby had produced for a while up until Barnes and those who oversaw both players development considered Barnes to be at least twice as good as Huddlestone, better technically, more skillful and a lot more pace. 

It was basically injuries which ruined him, he was fast tracked into the Derby first team by the age of 16/17, but was picking up injuries at that age. He was rushed back into the first team because he was that good and contributed massively in their promotion season, but these injuries persisted over the next couple of seasons. He had major knee surgery when he was like 19-20 and really, that was it for him, it took a away crucial development and he wasn't the same player. He had a run at West Brom but just wasn't the same, but he's having a pretty good MLS career right now. 

didn't he score the winner against albion in a play off final ?

Barnes has had a ton of knee and hip issues, lost a ton of pace. Plays in the middle nowadays, slow tenpo suits him.

I think he still has issues, MLS is good for him. I doubt he training as much of a push on his body more than anything.

Edited by rodders0223

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yes Barnes was a very good player back then, he may or may not have been linked with us as he probably wasn't far off Young's level but like the Dr says injuries did him.

:o In my opinion, Barnes had a lot of talent as a young player but he was nowhere near Young's level

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

Needs to be done ASAP.

From takeover announcement, we needed this to be a new positive start for us. Unfortunately the media are taking things like players not knowing when to turn up for pre-season and still laughing at us.

Get him in today.

12 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

:o In my opinion, Barnes had a lot of talent as a young player but he was nowhere near Young's level

I think if you compare them between the ages of 16-18 then Barnes was streets ahead of him. Young really came into his own by the time he was 19/20, by then Barnes had multiple stints on the injury table.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Just rubber stamp it with a clause that the contract is void if the takeover doesn't eventuate. We need him in asap if we're going to keep Xia's goal of bouncing straight back up

RDM is not gonna wait till a takeover is confirmed. he will obviously want to know 100%, or else go elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

If Its true that Pearson was Hollis number 1 target then there is no reason why an appointment cannot now be made. 

..because what manager would join us when the takeover is still, for all intents are purposes, uncertain? As a manager you'd surely want to know, with 100% certainty, that the takeover will go through, otherwise why take the risk?

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

..because what manager would join us when the takeover is still, for all intents are purposes, uncertain? As a manager you'd surely want to know, with 100% certainty, that the takeover will go through, otherwise why take the risk?

Very much this. It cannot happen until the takeover is confirmed, upon approval by the League. 

So, at the moment we are a football club without a board,without manager and without an owner.Tell me, do the players know when to report back for pre season training ? or have most have the squad left as well.

2 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

So, at the moment we are a football club without a board,without manager and without an owner.Tell me, do the players know when to report back for pre season training ? or have most have the squad left as well.

Obviously there's still coaching staff there and these players are still under contract so they will be reporting in for training whenever they are required to.

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

It could happen without the takeover being finalised,  just that the new manager would be employed by Hollis and Lerner.

Why doesent Hollis get his finger out then,FFS, its June already and the new season starts in less than 8 weeks and we are supposed to get promoted first time up.........No way. 

3 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Why doesent Hollis get his finger out then,FFS, its June already and the new season starts in less than 8 weeks and we are supposed to get promoted first time up.........No way. 

Why on earth would the manager agree to that?