Marcus Haber Vancouver Whitecaps Vancouver £94k
Jerome Thomas Portsmouth FC Portsmouth FC Free transfer
Giles Barnes Derby County Derby Free transfer
Steven Reid Blackburn Rovers Blackburn Loan
Ben Watson Wigan Athletic Wigan Loan
Andwelé Slory Feyenoord Rotterdam Feyenoord Free transfer
Shaun Cummings Chelsea FC Chelsea Loan
Frank Nouble West Ham United West Ham Loan

I must too admit that I didn't realize RDM did a sizeable rebuilding job at WBA. Gives me more confidence now, though the loan signings are more recognizable names looking back 6 years - which is a good thing!

Was he working under a certain system there though? ie didn't have control of who was brought in? genuine question as I have no idea.

I'd rather get a lot of loan signings in as the quality we'd be able to attract in permanent signings wouldn't be that good and a lot of them would have to be moved on again if we get promoted. I'm hoping with RDMs Chelsea links we can get a couple of their best youth players on loan.

I know we failed miserably last season, but I still think there's enough quality there to not have a massive overhaul. I'd like to see the bulk of last summers overseas signings still here, they were young and needed time to adjust to the English style. It was all the crap around them the reason they struggled so much. Think Gil could have a massive year next season too.

Edited by Junxs
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Gary Thomas said:

The point is you cannot judge the quality of a squad by looking at points alone i.e. "17 pathetic points says your massively wrong."  That is just too simplistic.  I would argue that the likes of Okore, Gueye, Ayew, Traoré, Amavi, Gil, Lyden, Gestede, Grealish etc. could do well for us in the championship IF, as I say, RDM can keep them.

Edit.  To be clear I am not saying we don't have a very poor overall squad, I am saying that everyone in it is not poor.

we are the 3rd worst team in Premier League history and we werent even unlucky in games. the points sort of tell how shit we are

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

we are the 3rd worst team in Premier League history and we werent even unlucky in games. the points sort of tell how shit we are

Yet put Benteke and Delph in amongst pretty much the same bunch and suddenly the "team" is good enough to stay up..

Its not as simple as get rid of them all and bring in 20 new players. There is some quality in there with the right additions around them.

• Like 3

There were players last season that showed fight and some glimmers of quality. Ayew for instance at times he seemed like the only one that gave a shit. In other games despite his lack of quality Westwood looked like he cared. Same for players like Gana, Veretout, Adama and Clark. I would even say that Okore showed a willingness to fight for our cause that many didn't, I mean yes he refused to sit on the bench but his protest was because he wanted to play not because he didn't, his heart was in the right place he just executed his plan poorly. We have half a team that on their day are good players with a commitment to Aston Villa, the issue is when the other half of the team are pulling in the opposite direction the whole operation falls apart.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Completely wrong what has Sherwood won? RDM has achieved so much more. 

???

i was agreeing with you. Di Matteo played for and managed Chelsea, winning lots of trophies. Sherwood played for and managed Spurs and didn't win lots of trophies - despite the press hype.

Must've been too much of a leap for a bank holiday weekend!

8 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Does that make sense, though. Would a prospective manager really consent to be employed by an outgoing owner while there is a chance that the new owner might not be approved by the League. 

I guess that's just part of the business of being a football manager, I suppose.

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

???

i was agreeing with you. Di Matteo played for and managed Chelsea, winning lots of trophies. Sherwood played for and managed Spurs and didn't win lots of trophies - despite the press hype.

Must've been too much of a leap for a bank holiday weekend!

Haha sorry misread it mate thought you meant they were on par as spurs and Chelsea are on par! I feel that RDM is a completely different league to Sherwood.

8 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Mate in 2009/10 season these are the players signed by WBA according to Soccerbase.

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?season_id=145&team_id=2744&teamTabs=transfers&season_id=145

Simon Cox Swindon £1,500,000 08 Jul, 2009
Youssouf Mulumbu Paris St-G. £175,000 10 Jul, 2009
Reuben Reid Rotherham Signed 31 Jul, 2009
Joe Mattock Leicester £1,200,000 10 Aug, 2009
Gonzalo Jara Colo Colo £1,400,000 25 Aug, 2009
Andwele Slory Feyenoord Free 01 Feb, 2010

RDM joined WBA on June 30 2009.

But even on that list there is some considerable loan action. Or do they not count?

EDIT - Link is to current season. Di ney see the tabs!

Anyone know a baggie?

Edited by Jareth

41 minutes ago, Jareth said:

But even on that list there is some considerable loan action. Or do they not count?

EDIT - Link is to current season. Di ney see the tabs!

Anyone know a baggie?

Mate just to be clear I am not anti RDM far from it. The only real reservation I have is what I believe to be his lack of experience in terms of signing of players and building a squad. If I am wrong on that and he does indeed have a fair bit of experience then great.

I do think this squad needs a major overhaul of around 10 ins and outs so we need Di Matteo to be capable of doing that well, or we will need to quickly bring in people alongside him to help him do that.

Edited by markavfc40

8 hours ago, V01 said:

According to transfermarkt, no dates all just down as 09/10

Simon Cox Swindon Town Swindon Town £1.69m
Gonzalo Jara CSD Colo Colo Colo Colo £1.20m
Joe Mattock Leicester City Leicester £900k
Gabriel Tamas AJ Auxerre AJ Auxerre Loan fee:
£750k
Youssuf Mulumbu Paris Saint-Germain Paris SG £150k
Marcus Haber Vancouver Whitecaps Vancouver £94k
Jerome Thomas Portsmouth FC Portsmouth FC Free transfer
Giles Barnes Derby County Derby Free transfer
Steven Reid Blackburn Rovers Blackburn Loan
Ben Watson Wigan Athletic Wigan Loan
Andwelé Slory Feyenoord Rotterdam Feyenoord Free transfer
Shaun Cummings Chelsea FC Chelsea Loan
Frank Nouble West Ham United West Ham Loan

Giles **** Barnes. I remember a family friend, who used to be a scout for the Blues, telling me how this kid had the potential to become a top quality player, having scouts from all over the country watching him. 

4 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Mate just to be clear I am not anti RDM far from it. The only real reservation I have is what I believe to be his lack of experience in terms of signing of players and building a squad. If I am wrong on that and he does indeed have a fair bit of experience then great.

I do think this squad needs a major overhaul of around 10 ins and outs so we need Di Matteo to be capable of doing that well, or we will need to quickly bring in people alongside him to help him do that.

Never thought yer were!

Anyhoos, an average of all those lists pretty much tells a story. That RDM chopped up a losing relegated squad then got his new team promoted first time asking. As much as we could ask for given the circumstances.

• Like 2

Giles **** Barnes. I remember a family friend, who used to be a scout for the Blues, telling me how this kid had the potential to become a top quality player, having scouts from all over the country watching him. 

He wasn't alone in that way of thinking. I remember him be the supposed diamond in the rough of Derby's 11 point season.

22 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

When we are in a position to turn down a Tony Barton type, we certainly won't be looking at Pearson.

Please don't put stuff in here that diminishes Tony Barton, it makes me sad.

buhuuuu

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

And yet when the papers ran the league table with incorrect decisions corrected we were 4th from bottom ( at that point think there were still 6 or 7 games to go )

but saying that I do sorta agree with you , we were shit by and large 

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He was meant be future England international, not sure if injuries or attitude but last I heard I think he was in MLS. another Luke Moore probably

• Like 1

Well it does very much seem that RDM is going to be our new manager.

I have no reason to doubt his ability, He has seen first hand the 2 divisions and should know his way around them.

He is the owners first choice allegedly so thats important that bond is there.

I have grave doubts we will get out of this division in the first season, irrespective who the manager is....such is the damage that has been done to this squad.

Its not the technical quality where my main concerns lie....its the spirit of the squad that has been decimated....I will feel much happier when the bad eggs are gone.

I very much hope I underestimate Tony Xia and that we can do it in one season.....but i also feel if RDM is doing a good job overall but the task is not completed, I hope we stay with him.....because its the second season I think we will do it, providing all the ducks are in a row.

I just think this is a bigger job than some think.....such is the depths we have sunk to.

• Like 2