Roberto Di Matteo

meme

31 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm very hopeful that Dr Xia and his board are working hard somewhere on ensuring that contracts and plans and commercial arrangements are progressing so that they can hit the ground running - that would seem to be a sensible way to run a football club - but I think the weight has already been passed. I simply don't think that the footballing future is of much interest to Hollis in his role or that it's particularly necessary for the new owners to keep him informed on how they're looking to manage it.

My point, rightly or wrongly, is that Hollis is either aware of this and confident in the outcome, or there will be other things in place as contingencies.  Whilst he certainly would rather not be interested and it isn't his field I simply don't see him sitting back at home saying "Well I've done my bit what's on Tv ?" 

IF there is any realistic danger of the sale not proceeding (I am sure it will) he will, I  think, know this, know the likelihood of it, and be mindful of there needing to be a fallback position

7 hours ago, BOF said:

Anyone else worried that he won't hang around forever?  Not that I particularly want him or anything, but if they do then the duration of this fit and proper test is making me restless.  It's like our entire club's existence is on hold until some bigwig gives us the thumbs up.  Hurry TFU.

I think RDM's talks with Lazio suggest that he will remain open to offers from other clubs until he actually signs a contract with us. I also think that the longer that takes to happen the less appealing taking the job will be for him given each day we remain in limbo reduces the chances of us hitting the ground running at the start of the coming season.   

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

My point, rightly or wrongly, is that Hollis is either aware of this and confident in the outcome, or there will be other things in place as contingencies.  Whilst he certainly would rather not be interested and it isn't his field I simply don't see him sitting back at home saying "Well I've done my bit what's on Tv ?" 

IF there is any realistic danger of the sale not proceeding (I am sure it will) he will, I  think, know this, know the likelihood of it, and be mindful of there needing to be a fallback position

I'm broadly in agreement on everything else, but I just don't think it's his problem, the most he'll need is a contingency person who can step in to the board if things drop through - I'm hopeful the takeover is now sufficiently advanced that Hollis is pretty much finished.

9 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm broadly in agreement on everything else, but I just don't think it's his problem, the most he'll need is a contingency person who can step in to the board if things drop through - I'm hopeful the takeover is now sufficiently advanced that Hollis is pretty much finished.

Not sure I agree. Having worked at a big company during a takeover, the message from the top was 'business as usual'.

Dr Who? is buying the club as a going concern and the current custodians have a duty to keep moving things forward.

In terms of Hollis as an individual, he doesn't strike me as the type of man to give less than 100%. Given his work at the college, it possible he sees Villa as another chapter in his legacy to Birmingham. And why not? He'll probably be bringing the HP factory back next too!

• Like 3

@OutByEaster? Scott I won’t quote what you have put but I think you are pretty much spot on with your assessment.

My fear isn't so much the sale not going through now as for it not to would require a major f up on Hollis’s part in getting this far down the line with a buyer that can’t see it over the line, my worry is how long this is all taking and the fact it is eating into the time we have to be anything like prepared for kick off in just over nine weeks.

It will be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of days as both Hollis and Xia said when the takeover was announced that a manager would be in place within two weeks. That two weeks is up tomorrow. The question is whether or not that two weeks was based on the football league having given the go ahead for the sale within that time.

Bottom line is that none of us know how long this is all going to take. We are all just guessing. If a manager isn't announced over the next couple of days though I think Hollis is going to need to give an update as to what is going on and what the planned time scales are now.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

I think as Scott has said above Hollis’s whole remit was to sell the club. That is what he came into the club to do and that his where his expertise lay. He doesn't have any experience in terms of running a football club aside from the few months he has been here where as far as we know he hasn't dealt with any player contracts, he hasn't been involved in buying and selling any players, he hasn't been involved in making arrangements for pre-season. The football part of the operation was going to be down to Bernstein to oversee.

I don’t see what use Hollis would be to the club if he was kept on and I’d like to think Xia has much better people ready to come in and run the club than Steve Hollis. That is not to put Hollis down by the way as if he has sold the club then he has done his job well.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

I expect a lot will be happening behind the scenes. Hollis and Xia 'should' be fairly certain this deal is going through if they’ve done their homework.  So to all intents and purposes Xia will know this will be his club and he will want things being done now, even if Hollis is not directly involved.  For example, I would not be surprised if RDM has already agreed to come in and that new replacements in the scouting and assistant management positions are lined up and possibly on Xia’s payroll already.  I would expect various people to be beavering away in the background, studying the squad, making plans, identifying potential targets, lining up pre-season and training schedules. In other words, doing all the preparatory work so that when things are rubber stamped we are ready to move very quickly.  Surely Xia and his team would be thinking this way given the urgency of the situation.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, terrytini said:

This all really boils down to whether Hollis knows what he is doing, or doesn't know what he is doing.

Whilst its impossible to know for sure, I'm going with his record suggesting he knows what he is doing, and all this panic is for nothing.

He is the man who appointed a high profile "Football Board" under the old regime, who then resigned just a few weeks later when it became clear the actual owner of the club didn't recognise or accept their role (maybe didn't even realise they had been appointed?). I'm afraid I have less faith than many on this board that Hollis knows what he is doing.

As others have said, I would hope that following RDM's talks with Xia's people, RDM is starting to prepare for next season already, awaiting the final rubber stamp. He left Shalke last year, so it's not like he needs the extra time to sunbathe. Fingers crossed, he's already identifying and sounding out his backroom staff, identifying possible signings and making plans for training and pre-season.

The only question marks I have, are how this would work for him salary-wise. As he's not technically employed yet, he has no obligation to prepare, but it's in his and the club's best interests, so presumably when having contract talks, Xia's people would have said that he starts preparation right away and this will be covered by a signing on fee?

The other question mark is around the rumoured Lazio talks. Why would he talk to other clubs if he's basically agreed to come here and start preparations? Or were the Lazio talks just before when we had our supposed final talks with him? (I actually don't know, I've been away for a week so I've not kept up-to-date).

@OutByEaster? us Mods taking things off topic? ;) Perhaps not as this does relate to whether or when Di Matteo will arrive.

I can only go off my own experience, but during the transition phase of the takeover I was involved in some people indeed had very little if anything to do whereas some of us were in effect working for the new owners.  Clearly it was a gamble of sorts by the existing owners in the case that the sale fell through.  I guess they knew more about the likelihood of the takeover being completed and it'll be the same here too.

As far as a going concern is concerned (couldn't resist!) it's not really so much about Lerner and his level of interest, but more likely that now Hollis is working on the remit of Dr Who's team. A poor analogy might be that you've agreed to sell your house, and whilst the new owner is going through the legal phase you'd be expected (and based on your own morals you'd likely do this anyway) to keep the house in good order.  You wouldn't leave all the windows and doors open and stop flushing the toilet.

I'm not sure whether it's just an unwritten rule or an actual rule in business, but the idea of leaving a company to go stagnant whilst the new buyer is moving into place isn't a concept I'm familiar with.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I think as Scott as said above Hollis’s whole remit was to sell the club. That is what he came into the club to do and that his where his expertise lay. He doesn't have any experience in terms of running a football club aside from the few months he has been here where as far as we know he hasn't dealt with any player contracts, he hasn't been involved in buying and selling any players, he hasn't been involved in making arrangements for pre-season. The football part of the operation was going to be down to Bernstein to oversee.

I don’t see what use Hollis would be to the club if he was kept on and I’d like to think Xia has much better people ready to come in and run the club than Steve Hollis. That is not to put Hollis down by the way as if he has sold the club then he has done his job well.

Hollis appointed people to do the jobs he isn't good at King,Bernstein and Bevington for me that shows he isn't a fool even though they've all left now. I'd like him to hang around for the summer just so it's a smooth handover and things are moved forward quickly. I doubt Hollis was brought in too solely sell the club. We don't know for sure who will be brought onto the board and I think his knowledge may come in handy especially as we need to act fast this summer. We need new everything up and running in next to no time. It's going to be an interesting summer and we can't mess it up. 

5 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I think as Scott as said above Hollis’s whole remit was to sell the club. That is what he came into the club to do and that his where his expertise lay. He doesn't have any experience in terms of running a football club aside from the few months he has been here where as far as we know he hasn't dealt with any player contracts, he hasn't been involved in buying and selling any players, he hasn't been involved in making arrangements for pre-season. The football part of the operation was going to be down to Bernstein to oversee.

I think Hollis perhaps main focus was to sell the club, but i believe his role certainly had more to it as well. I think Hollis knows the condition of the club. he has hinted at it at various times just like his analysis on the summer recruitment. I would like to think hollis would have  a briefing with Xia and his team just to tell them what was found out via the investigation and all the areas that need addressing behind the scenes. 

I was one of Hollis biggest critics but honestly he in a short space of time contributed far more than that clown Tom Fox. 

• Like 1

Will be appointed in 48 hours according to a 'sun exclusive'.

Collymore has tweeted his standard 'welcome' tweet too, indicating he may have had some info from someone.